Low supply or milk not fully in yet?

Christina86

Reaction score
Is there any way to tell if I'm producing enough milk? I was even thinking maybe my supply isn't fully in yet? Had her on April 27th (I would think it wouldn't take this long). So just under 8 days. Little miss has been fine with latching on and will feed for 10-15 min on each side each time. But she is still hungry and I end up giving 1-2oz of supplemental formula. Only once was I able to pump out 3oz from each side. Ever since then I get very little or nothing at all. I hate to give up but I'm at that point because I feel like she isn't getting enough from me. =[

She will most definitely still be trying to build your supply - it's a continuous process for the first several weeks. My LO clusterfed until my supply regulated at 10 weeks.

If she's having the expected amount of wet/dirty diapers and gaining weight then she's getting enough.

Pumping isn't as effective as a baby feeding so it's not a great indication of supply. That said, 3oz from each side is actually a lot and it's perfectly normal to not get much of anything if your baby is feeding frequently.

Supplementing is pretty counterintuitive as supply is based on demand. So every time you give her formula, it's less milk that she'll be trying to get from your breast, and less milk that you'll produce. I would drop the formula. I supplemented for 7 weeks and my supply took a huge hit, I worked REALLY hard to get back to EBF and unless your LO isn't having wet/dirty diapers or isn't gaining any weight, it's a crucial time to just have baby on the breast whenever possible.

I remember feeling like I couldn't possibly be making enough since my LO was wanting to nurse 23 hours a day, but it's actually very very normal and necessary. :)

She is having 6-8 wet diapers a day and about 1 (maybe 2) dirty but it's never a lot. She was also constipated so I'm wondering if she still is.

I try not to supplement a lot. It's usually after she feeds on both sides, still is hungry and then won't latch again. I will just keep trying to get her to re latch.

I hope to get this down before I go back to work on June 8th.

She is having 6-8 wet diapers a day and about 1 (maybe 2) dirty but it's never a lot. She was also constipated so I'm wondering if she still is.

I try not to supplement a lot. It's usually after she feeds on both sides, still is hungry and then won't latch again. I will just keep trying to get her to re latch.

I hope to get this down before I go back to work on June 8th.

The nappy output sounds good (constipation might be due to formula).

It may be that she's frustrated by how hard she has to work after the initial fast letdown so that's why she finishes one breast and goes to the other and then comes off hungry. Breast compressions can help stimulate further let downs (so once LOs suck slows down you do a few breast compressions -see Kellymom for instructions- till LOs suck picks up speed again).

It may be that she has some wind that mimics the signs of hunger so spending 10mins or so trying to get a burp out might distract her, and you, enough that after that she'll go back to the breast with less fuss.

Remember she knows you, she will (often, no guarantees) be calmed by the sound of your voice, the sound of your heartbeat, so odd as it sounds if you place her ear on your hear and give her and you a little calming pep talk about how you are in this together as a team she may well calm down enough to relatch.

If you are both getting very distressed of course feed her formula or expressed milk, but try smaller amounts just enough to calm her. Spoon, cup and syringe feeding are also good ways to ensure baby isn't taking more than she needs.

Supply isn't a "there" or "not there" thing. Your body makes what she demands but it takes a day or three to catch up and for those few days she will be hungry. The more formula she gets during these times the more you risk a few days of playing catch up stretching in to weeks.

I think 3oz is a great amount to pump so early on. I would never get that much at your stage.

My LO would always root around to feed if he had any gas or a burp to do. Id think he was hungry but he'd get annoyed if I offered the breast so it took me a while to figure out that rooting was his standard response to all bodily sensations :wacko: As a PP suggested, maybe try burping her when she comes off and then offer the breast again after a while to see if she'll have another go :flower:

Just stalking... My situation to a t.

If you feel you have to supplement try pumping once she unlatches. It will help increase your supply and you can bottle or syringe feed her any bm you get.

I had to do this with DS and it worked a charm.

If you feel you have to supplement try pumping once she unlatches. It will help increase your supply and you can bottle or syringe feed her any bm you get.

I had to do this with DS and it worked a charm.

Did he end up getting enough with doing that? And did your supply ever increase?

Yes and yes. It took a few days but before I knew it I was able to pump 5 Oz after he'd fed. I stopped then and was able to successfully breastfeed like normal.

10-15 minutes each side doesn't sound like long enough for such a young baby. I remember the newborn days with my son and he would feed for an hour, half an hour each side. It's partially because they are trying to get your supply in and partially because at that age they are not as efficient at feeding as they will be in a couple of months. So expect to be sitting there feeding for longer than that. It's a really time consuming process when your baby is newborn. You're doing great, keep at it!

I agree with all the advice above. It takes time for your supply to stabilize. You'll also pump different amounts at different times of day. I can get 5oz easy first thing in the morning, but I'm lucky to get an ounce or two in the evening.

You may benefit from power pumping (I've never done it, but you can google it), making sure you eat enough and stay hydrated, and doing as much skin to skin with baby as you can. Some foods are supposed to help with lactation, too. Oatmeal, nursing mother teas, and there are supplements you can take (Milkies makes a tea that makes me leak like crazy). A lactation consultant would also probably be a big help. From what I hear, independent International Board Certified consultants are better than hospital LCs.

Good luck! You can do this! And if you do end up having to supplement, baby is still benefiting from your milk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rubysan
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->