Low temp?

mommyof3co

Mommy of 4 amazing boys!
Reaction score
I've posted before about Preston, he was born 37wks but very sick with very underdeveloped lungs so he was classed as a preemie and is still treated as one now. He is now about 5.5mo and has been doing very well for the most part. But earlier I noticed he felt very cold, it was cool in the house but not that cold, but I took his temp and it was 96.7F so I changed him into a long sleeved body suit, socks then a very warm fleece footed sleeper over that with a hat. He was ready for a nap so I put him to bed with 2 very thick/warm blankets over him (yes I know the risk of blankets, I choose to use them, he doesn't move around in his sleep). But he slept for about 5-5.5hrs and woke up to eat so I fed him and had a thick blanket over us then took his temp and it was even lower at 95.3F. So I had his daddy take him to try and warm him because he has a lot of body heat so he did skin to skin with him with a blanket over them for awhile but he started getting fidgety and wouldn't just lay still so he put his clothes back on him and just held him on his chest with a blanket and they fell asleep. I went to get him to put him back in bed and checked his temp again and it was only up to 95.9F with all of that.

Anyone know what might be going on, what we should do to raise his temp back to normal? I remember when Hayden was about his age when he would be trying to fight off an illness his temp would drop and he'd sleep a lot but I don't remember his temp ever going below maybe 96.3F...not nearly as low as Preston. Going to post over in the preemie section too because I have no idea if if has anything to do with him being preemie, if it's maybe normal? Or what. Thanks in advance :)

Have no idea hun, but I would call the doctor or at least some nurse or health visitor and ask. Never hurts to ask and will put your mind at peace.

I don't know why it could be but I almost posted about this same thing the other day as Maria's temp was 35.4 (95.7), she's been a bit ill lately so maybe preston is about to get ill?

I ended up calling our nurse hotline and was told to take him in. They tested him for rsv which thankfully came back negative. They got him warmed up and let us take him home. They said he might be about to get sick or it might be because of being preemie and he isn't able to regulate his body temp very well. So now we just have to watch and not let his temp get too low or he has to go back

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->