Lower back pain after epidural

Katerpillar

Mammy to 1 cheeky monkey!
Reaction score
So, 7 months PP and I seem to be getting a LOT of lower back pain. It could be that I am now carrying round 17lbs of baby every day but wondered if anyone else had long term back pain after having an epidural when giving birth? and if so, did it get any better? Any tips for relieving the pain?

It's like a constant, dull ache in the bottom of my back. Ouch :cry:

I think my lower back pain went away on its own after about 4 or 5 months? I'm not entirely sure my lower back pain was because of the epidural though. I noticed it would only hurt when I was bending down for a long period time, most noticeably when I bent down to change lo's diaper in the playpen. And sometimes it would hurt at night when I tried to sleep lying flat. I didn't really do anything to resolve it, but just tried to prevent bending down whenever possible.

Yeah, perhaps it's not the epidural, maybe it is just all the bending down and carrying LO around? Paracetamol and Ibuprofen are not even touching the sides though. Maybe I'll just have to man up :haha:

I'm 5 months pp and suffering similar. Asked my husband to give me a lift for a few days picking him up, putting him down and rocking him and it has really helped.

Please look after your back and try not to medicate when possible or you can do even more damage by pushing yourself too far

https://www.backcare.org.uk/gettinghelp

My baby is almost 2 weeks old and I have had lots of lower back pain. I was thinking it was the epidural too. Also I labored for 26 hours and he tried to drop down but was not able to so they took him by c-section. He was also face up. I have had lots of pain on my butt bone when I sit. Could it been from him trying to drop and being face up?

willing to bet it is NOT the epidural.....

it is that baby you are picking up and carrying! I am a chronic back pain sufferer pre pregnancy....let me tell you, it is not fun. my back was good for about 3 months....been seeing chiro bi-weekly every since (minimum). proper lifting and bending can do wonders....but perhaps having it looked at first would be a good start? I know the limits back pain can have and I hope things get better for you.

I had a failed epidural, the anethasist went in too far and I was leaking spinal fluid. The area around this has been sore ever since and LO is 5 months old.

Usually if an epidural were to cause issues it would be rather immediate, such As headaches, long term would be more localized pain..... Get it checked out and assessed.

Usually if an epidural were to cause issues it would be rather immediate, such As headaches, long term would be more localized pain..... Get it checked out and assessed.

I don't know if this comment was for me or the OP. I had a severe headache for 6 days after my epidural because I was leaking the spinal fluid. The area is still sore but my GP said that there isn't anything he can do about it and it should sort itself out in time. Mind you that was the same as what he said about my fractured coccyx.

Thanks ladies :flower: I've just made a docs appointment for Friday morning to get checked over.

I had a sore back for the first few months with DS1 that was around the epidural area. Didn't have an epidural with DS2, and no soreness in that area, so I definitely think it was just soreness from the epidural with DS1. Mine went away after a few months though. If you're still in pain, I agree, go see dr to see if there's anything else going on.

I get back pain from lifting kids and housework though, lol. So maybe its a combination of both?

I did for 9 months - bit better now, but I think it's more of SI joint pain rather than back - epi pain

I had a sore back from the epidural for a while but it did go away in time. I agree with the other ladies that the back pain is probably from all the carrying baby and pushing a pushchair, it can really take its toll on your back.

Hope you get some answers from your doctor's appointment, and hope you feel better soon.

Thank you again everyone :flower:

Jd83 - I've always known that housework was bad for the health - now it is proven!! I'll make sure I let my OH know :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->