Lump on left side of neck, causing pain...

SilasLove

Mom of 4
Reaction score
I just discovered a lump on the left side of my neck yesterday. It's tender to the touch, and I am having a lot of neck pain. I am waiting until Monday to get in to the doctor, but it kind of worries me as it's starting to get uncomfortable to swallow and it's really painful when I try to turn my head to the left. I also feel pain my ear. The right side of my neck has no pain at all so I am at the conclusion that the lump is causing it all. Any experience with anything like this??

Is it on the front part of your neck or the side? It could be your thyroid if it is on the front lower part of your neck. If it is on the side it could be a lymphnode. Both are something you should see your doctor about if they have had a sudden swelling. I had a sudden swelling on the front right side of my neck and waited thinking it was just a lymphnode clearing out junk from a recent cold. But a month later it was still there so I went to get it checked out and my thyroid was enlarged. Luckly my thyroid nodule was benign but I will be having surgery to remove it soon. In the case of lymphnodes I learned that they also should not have a sudden visibal swelling. and in either case there should not be pain. Make that appointment just to be safe!

It is totally normal for a lymph node to swell in response to illness (or even fighting off a bug you don't know you've come into contact with), up to a certain size anyway. A cm or two is normal. It's also normal for a swollen node to feel tender when it's fighting off nasties - if you pressed on it, it might hurt and when turning your neck it might put pressure on it that can hurt too. And bear in mind that the more you touch it, the more sore it can feel.

I have more experience than I'd like with dodgy lymph nodes but mostly lumps in nodes are nothing to worry about. Tender nodes are actually a good sign usually. Is the lump moveable at all?

could be the start of impetigo, if you start to get blisters that eventulay busrt and crust then definetly this, my brother gets it and it starts with a sore lump on throat

It could be a lymph node like others have said. I was having problems with my gallbladder and noticed a small bump on the side of my neck. Once I had it out, the lump went.

Best to get it checked out though!

Thanks you all. The lump is movable, and I go to the doctor tomorrow. My neck is still sore and so been taking a lot of ibuprofen, but my ear hasn't had too much pain and I think it may have to do with an infection. The lump is on the side of my neck, behind my ear and around 3 inches down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->