lungs mature at 37 and a half weeks?

I had my little boy at 38 weeks, he was born by caesarean and his breathing wasn't right. He spent the first night in special care. Its true about caesarean babies not doing as well. Babies have something called surfacent in their lungs. During the labour process contractions squeeze out that surfacent. Obviously when a caesarean is done electively, ie prior to any contractions there's no squeezing they just get lifted out. So even though I was 38 weeks and I'd had the steroids he had problems. I assumed all would be fine and to be fair it usually is but I tend to share this story as it's a horrible thing to happen and if I'd have been prepared for it I think it would have been easier. With you it's induction so you're far better off! X

Wow thanks for all the encouraging words.
This has made me feel so much better.
I'm so stressed about getting this procedure and I will be gutted if his lungs aren't mature and I had to go through all of this

I know what you mean about being induced and the babies lungs not being matured, I worry about this as well even though they say the baby is 'full term' I have read alot up on it and normally the lungs should be fully matured but there are times when the dates are off and they will need a little bit of help, it wont be durastic. I had the lung shots for the baby at 28 weeks, so my doc says babies lungs should MOST definitely be mature enough??

I am sure all will be fine hun xx.. Just know ur not alone.. I worry about this too having to be induced what seems, so early.

I had my little boy at 38 weeks, he was born by caesarean and his breathing wasn't right. He spent the first night in special care. Its true about caesarean babies not doing as well. Babies have something called surfacent in their lungs. During the labour process contractions squeeze out that surfacent. Obviously when a caesarean is done electively, ie prior to any contractions there's no squeezing they just get lifted out. So even though I was 38 weeks and I'd had the steroids he had problems. I assumed all would be fine and to be fair it usually is but I tend to share this story as it's a horrible thing to happen and if I'd have been prepared for it I think it would have been easier. With you it's induction so you're far better off! X

awe sorry you had to go through that and thanks for sharing this story as my doctor is one who keeps telling em oh dont worry you had the steroids, where as I think that the steroids dont work for everyone surely!!

Did they think your dates were off when baby was born at all??

I had an amnio done at 37 + weeks and the lungs were not mature -but they were only off by .2 (I can't remember now what number they were looking for, but apparently the number increases by .1 each day). I had a c-section at 38 weeks and 2 days and they lungs WERE mature by that point (w/out having to have a repeat amnio) with that said, my baby ended up in special care nursery b/c he had some fluids on his lungs. they were mature, but it jsut happens sometimes with c-section babies, since they don't squeeze the fluid out like a vaginal birth.
so, the lungs sometimes aren't mature at 37 weeks.
have your doc give you 2 rounds of steriod shots if they have to indue/do a c-section early, just to be on the safe side (if you aren't going to have the amnio)

My doc won't give me any steroid shots as I am past 34 weeks and apparently they aren't effective past then and are useless if his lungs are already mature...
which my OB seems pretty confident about.

Critical lung developement is up to 22 weeks gestation...... then the lungs mature and develope from that time .... at 37 weeks lungs should be very well developed.

I had two of my sons at 38 and 37 weeks exactly and although my 37 weeker also has Downs Syndrome, both were breathing fine and unassisted at birth. I went into labour naturally with both of them and had vaginal births.

My friend went into lab our naturally at 35 weeks with her twins, both were breathing fine and unassisted and came home the next day.

i had my son at 38 weeks and everything fine.. their lungs are mature from 37 weeks onwards and maybe even earlier!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->