Luteal Phase Defect "not real?"

Tigerlily01

Reaction score
So I seem to have a 6-7 day luteal phase, and when I mentioned this to my ob/gyn and asked what I should do to extend it, she said current literature no longer considers the "luteal phase defect" to be a "real thing." Huh?!

Something about the length of your luteal phase being the RESULT of a problem (like weak eggs, or hormone issues), and not the CAUSE of not getting pregnant. Regardless, in my mind I was thinking "does it matter?" If having a 6 day luteal phase indicates something is going to keep me from getting pregnant, does it matter what you call it? I mean, SOMEthing needs to be treated, doesn't it? I'm a bit confused.

I hear the 10 day minimum all over BnB and on other internet forums, but then I hear some doctors say it makes no difference. But the egg still needs time to implant, doesn't it? So why is there even a question about treating this?

I've already tracked ov for 3 months, and they want me to wait 3 MORE months before they even do a hormone test to confirm I am ovulating. I guess I just don't get why they want to wait? It's not like LP really varies more than a day, so my results aren't going to change... :growlmad:

The vitamin b12 or b6 can't remember helps lengthen ur lp. Also exercise helps too because it gives an extra boost to yrprogesterone as well. There are other foods and supplements if u ..... Wanna try em out.

I've never heard that it isn't a problem? How weird that your dr won't acknowledge it. B6, 100mg/day, and vitex are good for regulating luteal phase!

Yeah I've heard of the vitamin B thing, but I've also heard that it's dangerous to take too much, so I'm nervous to take any without the dr saying it's ok. There's some in my prenatal already, but I don't think it's very much.

My lp is borderline10-11 has been 13 days but u never know. I figure . ....he should he investigating how to lengthen he lp since they can implant as late as 12dpo

If u can't reach 12dpo.....one might see why chances of implantation decrease. If u can only reach half of that. Don't get me wrong u hope that's nor the case ans y still have a chance anything is possible but I would look for a new Dr.

Thanks. They basically said while it isn't ideal, they don't consider it to be an issue until after a year (?!?!) because some women conceive with very short LPs. I did manage to convince them to do a progesterone test this month though, so we'll see what happens!

Question for anyone who has done the progesterone test...I've seen some places say you do it on CD21, and others say do it 7 days post ovulation...

My luteal phase is so short that 7 days post ovulation is already the beginning of my next cycle. So that's not gonna work, lol! Is CD21 ok, then? My cycles vary in length, so sometimes ov is before CD21, but sometimes it may be later, so I assume I'd have to delay when i got the test done if ov is late, wouldn't I?

I'm so confused! I guess maybe it's time to call the clinic back and ask, just wondering if anyone on here knew anything about this!

Doctors are F****** useless and will do ANYTHING to get rid of you!! So fed up with it!!!

Try Vitex, and going to some one else!

About the progesterone test, they want to do it 7 days post o, the cd21 is assuming you o on cd14 the "average". I need to take one this month and needed to clarify, as I O around cd20 (so I asked if she meant the day after I ovulate and asked if she wanted me to do it the day after O and she said no, 7 days after) So for you, I would call and ask... but even the fact that you can't get the full 7 days in should be a good indicator for them. Lol.

And don't try anything to increase your progesterone until AFTER the test, obviously.

Thanks! I got a note back for the doctor confirming it should be at 7DPO, now I'm just waiting to hear if 5-6 DPO is acceptable, since any more than that and I'll be into my next cycle!

Yep, my doctor looked at me with a blank stare when I mentioned this back wi ttc number 1. Anyway have you considered doing acupuncture/Chinese herbs? Chinese medicine absolutely recognises lp defect, and I am sure the herbs is what helped me get pregnant first time round. Am trying it again now as my cycles seem to even worse with ttc number 2.
Good luck xx

There isn't much Vitamin B6 in most prenatals, so you could take some extra. 50-100 mg a day is safe and seems to help a lot of people, but the research shows that doses over 200mg a day should be avoided as that can cause nerve problems.

I would go on 7DPO. If you're bleeding from AF, all the more proof to them that something is wrong.

Typically blood progesterone levels peak at about 7-8 DPO and then stay steady for a few days before declining. Only when they decline do you begin to bleed. If you have a 6-7 DPO, that's really short and who knows what is happening with the progesterone.

Have you been through cycle monitoring? Typically REs will not conclude there is an issue with your luteal phase until they've monitored you for at least a couple of cycles so that they have definitive evidence of (i) when/if you ovulated and (ii) how long your phases are.

Got confirmation from the doc, she wants me to get the test at 5-6DPO rather than wait for my next cycle to start. I haven't done cycle monitoring (not sure what that entails?), and I'm not seeing an RE at the moment, just an OB/GYN. Can't get a referral since I haven't been ttc long enough at this point. They won't acknowledge there is an issue because they said that while not ideal, it is possible to get pregnant with a 6 day LP and they want me to try for a while first. Grrr! I do have my followup with a different doctor though, so maybe she'll have a different opinion.

What was the result of your short luteal phase? How did they finally decide you had a short lp? when did they put you on clomid? did you try anything before going on clomid to lengthen your lp? sorry for so many questions but this is one of the first posts I found that talked about this. I was tracking temps, cm, and opks, all which were indicating a cd20 ovulation. progesterone testing confirmed I did in fact ovulate but no bfp yet. this cycle I got a blinking smiley face (clearblue easy) for the past 8 days, still no solid smiley face to confirm o. dr told me to come in for my ultrasound when I get my solid smiley face but I haven't gotten one yet and I'm on cd24.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->