Maca experiences?

MillieJoan

WTT for #2 late 2013 :-)
Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm considering taking Maca supplements because I've discovered I have a short luteal phase (9 days last month), and I don't want to take progesterone/want a more natural remedy. I'm a little nervous, though, as I know very little about it besides what Dr. Google has told me! :haha:

I'd love to know if anyone has had success lengthening their luteal phase and/or getting pregnant using Maca, or if you've taken it without noticeable results. Are there side effects? Is it something I'd have to keep taking in the 1st trimester to keep progesterone levels up, and if so, is that safe?? Gah, I feel so ill-informed! :wacko:

Any help is GREATLY appreciated! I'm very bummed about my short LP... DH and I were going to actively start (instead of nt/np) ttc this month, but now we have to get this sorted first! :cry:

Hi there!

I have found maca to be wonderful. I've been taking it for nearly a month and my chart is now almost textbook, after months of being messed up.

When I started ttc last year my LP was a bit short and my temps after ovulation weren't great, so I thought my progesterone was low. I started vitex which seemed to help for a while, but eventually I ended up having anovulatory cycles. Now I suspect that the vitex was just masking the problem.

I've had some tests done and cycle tracking, which showed that my follicles weren't maturing properly and so my estrogen (E2) was too low. I'm overweight so I think my Estrogen was out of whack because of that. Maca is supposed to help balance hormones so I gave it a go this last cycle. Within a few days of starting maca my estrogen started going up and my tests showed that I had a decent follicle. I had good temps and a perfect 14 day luteal phase, since with a good ovulation I got a good corpus luteum as well. No bfp, but I'm hopeful that I'll get one in the next few months now.

From what I've read maca is good for balancing out everything, so it can't hurt whatever your problem is. Most brands say not to take during pregnancy but what I've read indicates that it's probably safe, but it hasn't been specifically tested therefore they have to say you shouldn't use it then. I'd probably keep taking it, but you can get your progesterone checked and your doc should give you supplements if its too low.

I hope this is helpful!

Did you consult your Dr? I wouldn't experiment on my own. But I heard many positive opinions about Maca! Good luck!

Did you consult your Dr? I wouldn't experiment on my own. But I heard many positive opinions about Maca! Good luck!

I'm actually hoping for a home birth this time, so I don't have an obgyn to go to (we just moved a few month ago, too, so I can't go to my old one). But yeah, I agree, I don't like experimenting on my own, it definitely makes me nervous.

Fair enough, it's not a bad idea to be cautious. I will say that I have a science degree and did a lot of research before I started. There isn't a lot of hard research out there on maca yet, but what there is does suggest that it can be helpful, and is very unlikely to be harmful. Maca is actually a root that is eaten as part of the staple diet in Peru, girls start eating it at around 3, and one of the reasons they continue eating it is because of the fertility and other general health benefits. It's supposed to help your various endocrine glands function properly, so your body makes the right amounts of hormones at the right times.

Based on my test results and what I know of how maca works, I decided that it might work for me, and it certainly did. As I said, this cycle my chart was almost perfect, after nearly 6 months of crappy cycles, so I'm happy. But if you're not sure about something, then you probably should play it safe.

Fair enough, it's not a bad idea to be cautious. I will say that I have a science degree and did a lot of research before I started. There isn't a lot of hard research out there on maca yet, but what there is does suggest that it can be helpful, and is very unlikely to be harmful. Maca is actually a root that is eaten as part of the staple diet in Peru, girls start eating it at around 3, and one of the reasons they continue eating it is because of the fertility and other general health benefits. It's supposed to help your various endocrine glands function properly, so your body makes the right amounts of hormones at the right times.

Based on my test results and what I know of how maca works, I decided that it might work for me, and it certainly did. As I said, this cycle my chart was almost perfect, after nearly 6 months of crappy cycles, so I'm happy. But if you're not sure about something, then you probably should play it safe.

I agree with Palladium Maca is great, it is an adaptogen so it helps balance what ever is out of wack , it is part of the turnip family so is a veg, I have used it twice to help sort out my cycles while breastfeeding, I had a short LP as well, with in a month I had a lovely chart and by 3 months I was pregnant :happydance: he is 3 now I only needed a month supply last time and he is 1 now!
my friend who was TCC 18 months she has PCOS is pregnant after taking Maca for 2 months!

There was a great thread here all about Maca it was very active about 2 years ago worth a read though loads of great information on it!

I also did a lot of research in to it but also studied Maca and the endocrine system in college and later when I was working.

I found this information brilliant https://natural-fertility-info.com/maca

I would recommend making sure it is organic, and I would take 1 a day for the first month and then 2 a day the second month

I don't know much about maca in relation to fertility, but I will recommend it to anyone who will listen. It has helped with my energy levels and mood so much! DH is obsessed with it too!

Maca has worked wonders for me! I also had a luteal phase of 8-9days long, with low temps. I just finished cycle # 2 with maca and have seen many positive improvements.

Cycle #1: For the 1st time in years, I had ewcm on O-day. This was the 1st cycle in 1 year of temping, that I showed a post-O thermal shift! My LP temps were still not as high as I would need. My luteal phase increased to 10 days long. I still had spotting, but it was only from 8-10 dpo (so less than usual).

Cycle #2: My luteal phase was 16 days long and my temps were super high! I finally hit temps 98.0+ F. I also had absolutely no spotting during LP.

I take Now Foods brand (500mg) tablets. (They have great, natural products. For fun, read thru the reviews on amazon, many women commented on getting pregnant while taking maca). The first week I only took 1000mg. The 2nd week and forward, I took 2000 mg (4 tablets), per day. You want to gradually increase your dose when taking maca. If you start noticing stomach cramps, insomnia, ect, you could be taking too much. I never had any issues however.

In the US, medical studies can not be conducted on pregnant women. Therefore, maca has never been proven to be safe with pregnancy. This does not mean that it is not, however, always talk to your doctor first. I have read many posts from women who have gotten pregnant while on maca, stop taking it, and then unfortunately miscarry. So if you get pregnant and no longer want to take the maca, yet you know you have low progesterone, please address that with your doctor right away!

I am Peruvian, where maca is native to. My mother has always told me how women ate this on a daily basis, even through pregnancy. She did not know of anyone miscarrying, or having an ill child, from consuming maca during pregnancy. Hope this helps!

Maca has worked wonders for me! I also had a luteal phase of 8-9days long, with low temps. I just finished cycle # 2 with maca and have seen many positive improvements.

Cycle #1: For the 1st time in years, I had ewcm on O-day. This was the 1st cycle in 1 year of temping, that I showed a post-O thermal shift! My LP temps were still not as high as I would need. My luteal phase increased to 10 days long. I still had spotting, but it was only from 8-10 dpo (so less than usual).

Cycle #2: My luteal phase was 16 days long and my temps were super high! I finally hit temps 98.0+ F. I also had absolutely no spotting during LP.

I take Now Foods brand (500mg) tablets. (They have great, natural products. For fun, read thru the reviews on amazon, many women commented on getting pregnant while taking maca). The first week I only took 1000mg. The 2nd week and forward, I took 2000 mg (4 tablets), per day. You want to gradually increase your dose when taking maca. If you start noticing stomach cramps, insomnia, ect, you could be taking too much. I never had any issues however.

In the US, medical studies can not be conducted on pregnant women. Therefore, maca has never been proven to be safe with pregnancy. This does not mean that it is not, however, always talk to your doctor first. I have read many posts from women who have gotten pregnant while on maca, stop taking it, and then unfortunately miscarry. So if you get pregnant and no longer want to take the maca, yet you know you have low progesterone, please address that with your doctor right away!

I am Peruvian, where maca is native to. My mother has always told me how women ate this on a daily basis, even through pregnancy. She did not know of anyone miscarrying, or having an ill child, from consuming maca during pregnancy. Hope this helps!

Thanks so much for that :thumbup: so I would assume it is safe to also take during breastfeeding as well! I did and actually noticed an increase in my supply and baby put on a lot of weight LOL

Hi ladies!! I just wanted to put my two cents in on this. I have only been taking maca root powder for two days and already noticed a difference. Within 3 hours of taking it I had spotting and cramping. This may not seem significant until you realize that as of yesterday (my first dose) I was on CD 345. So, for me this is huge! Does anyone have other successes or experiences with maca??

Wow that's great! I hope the maca continues to show improvement for you. How much are you taking?

I am loving Maca so far.. I today started my first 'real' period in 9 months (since birth of bub).. I have had life long PCOS.. Fell pregnant with #1 after 1 month on Vitex (didn't realise how lucky I was!!). Took a hard and trying 3 years to fall with #2, again on Vitex, but unsure it was helping (barely a period in between kids!! Maybe 1 natural period.. and a few induced chemically).. so to be honest, after about 25 days of Maca I have now had my first period in about 4 years!! ANd heaps of EWCM around Ovulation time!!

I am hoping that this leads to a healthy BFP. . Am also eating well and trying to lose 10% body fat while taking combination Vitex & Maca. So far I'm just stoked and had to share!!!

I am loving Maca so far.. I today started my first 'real' period in 9 months (since birth of bub).. I have had life long PCOS.. Fell pregnant with #1 after 1 month on Vitex (didn't realise how lucky I was!!). Took a hard and trying 3 years to fall with #2, again on Vitex, but unsure it was helping (barely a period in between kids!! Maybe 1 natural period.. and a few induced chemically).. so to be honest, after about 25 days of Maca I have now had my first period in about 4 years!! ANd heaps of EWCM around Ovulation time!!

I am hoping that this leads to a healthy BFP. . Am also eating well and trying to lose 10% body fat while taking combination Vitex & Maca. So far I'm just stoked and had to share!!!

good luck :flower::happydance:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->