Made to remove my scan photo at work

maybaby2018

Reaction score
So I've had my scan photo as my screensaver on my computer at work since Christmas time... and today the service manager came in, as he usually does, I've had some trouble with him already to be honest, (I was sat at my desk and he pushed a chair behind me and told me to breathe in).... anyway, today he told my line manager, that she had to tell me to remove my scan photo as my background because its inappropriate... erm how? Every single person in my office has got children and their screen savers are all of their children, there's even photos of their children in frames on their desks?

Anyone else feel like I'm being singled out a bit or am I over reacting? Xx

Nope I'd be very irritated and speak to HR about it, it can't be one rule for you and a different one for everyone else. Also could be seen as discrimination because you are pregnant so he needs to be careful.

Wow... I have no idea how a scan photo is offensive. It is your baby's first portrait. Pregnant ladies post them on Facebook and social media for all to see every day! I would definitely complain about that. I'm sure there is no rule in the company that you aren't allowed to have your ultrasound photo as your background on your computer. People are so offended by everything these days.

Playing devils advocate. Perhaps there is someone in your office who has suffered a loss that others are not aware of.

I don’t think it could ever be considered offensive and pre losing my daughter I would have said your manager is way out of line.

But post losing her you start seeing things from both perspectives.

Just another way of looking at it.

Did you ask for clarification about why? I do think it's overstepping boundaries and inappropriate of them. I had a mc earlier in the year. Though seeing friends announcing their pregnancies (due at the same time I would have been) and sharing their scan photos did make me sad, it wasn't something I found offensive and I never would have had any right to tell them that they couldn't share that with people and enjoy that moment. We've all suffered losses in our lives. I lost my dad when I was young. But I don't have the right to tell anyone they can't have pictures of their dads on their desk at work just because mine has died. That's my grief and I need to deal with that myself, not project it on anyone else. So yes, agreed, it's inappropriate. If there was a blanket policy about no personal photos on computers at all, then I would understand it. But if it's just you being singled out, I wouldn't tolerate that and I think it's unfair. I would go to HR and ask for clarification about the policy.

I can’t in anyway see how that is offensive. Definitely go and speak to HR, I’d be very interested to hear what they say!

Did you ask for clarification about why? I do think it's overstepping boundaries and inappropriate of them. I had a mc earlier in the year. Though seeing friends announcing their pregnancies (due at the same time I would have been) and sharing their scan photos did make me sad, it wasn't something I found offensive and I never would have had any right to tell them that they couldn't share that with people and enjoy that moment. We've all suffered losses in our lives. I lost my dad when I was young. But I don't have the right to tell anyone they can't have pictures of their dads on their desk at work just because mine has died. That's my grief and I need to deal with that myself, not project it on anyone else. So yes, agreed, it's inappropriate. If there was a blanket policy about no personal photos on computers at all, then I would understand it. But if it's just you being singled out, I wouldn't tolerate that and I think it's unfair. I would go to HR and ask for clarification about the policy.

That sums it up/explains it really well.

See I did think about the case of a loss etc...but all the ladies I work with are a lot older and have all had their children etc, one of the ladies has got photos of hers when they were all newborn around her computer so I'm no sure it I that's the case. I think he's just picking at me to be honest xx

Wow, thats not right at all. Its the same thing as people having pictures of their kids, whats the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->