Madelyn or Madeline - how do you spell it?

Mrs Dragonfly

Raising our toddler
Reaction score
Hubby and I aren't agreeing. He's picked the name, but I don't like the spelling. The pronunciation is Mad-e-lynn

I've been spelling it Madelyn (I don't like 2 n's) but hubby is spelling it Madeline. I read it as Mad-e-line. So tell me, which way do you spell Mad-e-lynn?

My daughter is Madalynn. I like the look of the traditional spelling but then I feel like it's pronounced mad-e-LINE, which I didn't like as much. So that's why I spelled her name like I did. :)

I prefer Madeline, I'm not really a fan of phonetic or non-traditional spellings (having one myself). I've always pronounced Madeline the way you're looking for, with the -lynn ending. I think it could be pronounced either way (-lynn or -line) though to me Madeleine is the more common spelling for the -line ending.

I'd personally rather correct the pronounciation of a traditional spelling on a regular basis than spell out a non-traditional name on a regular basis but that's probably partly due to my own experience with my own name. :)

I prefer Madeline or Madeleine. But I prefer traditional spellings of names overall. Maybe it's just me but I've never heard anyone pronounce it 'Mad-e-line'. Always 'Mad-e-lin' as you'd like it to be. I recon most people would default to the pronunciation you'd like with the traditional spelling. Where are you based? Just wondering if there is a difference in different countries!

I prefer the traditional spelling of Madeline or Madeleine.

Madelyn is just too trendy looking. I find Madeline to just seem so classy and pretty.

I love the traditional spelling of Madeleine, so pretty!

I would say Madeline as mad-e-line and Madeleine as Mad-e-lane, but thats really only because of the book Madeline. Madelynn is the only one I'd immediately read as having the -lin sounding ending. Though as others say, if you prefer the spelling you're only going to need to correct people every so often.

I prefer the line ending. I pronounce Madeline as you wish, with the lyn sound. I tend to dislike non traditional spellings in almost every instance and much prefer traditional spellings.

I'm naming my baby Madeline. I prefer the traditional spelling. It will be pronounced with Lynn on the end.

Thanks ladies! I do like the spelling of Madeline, I just don't like the thought of correct peoples pronunciation all the time. Then again our surname must always be corrected anyways lol.

Meh I feel like no matter what you will have to correct something, either spelling or pronunciation. My name is Lindsey and I have to correct people on the spelling all the time.

I agree. We are calling our little one Annabel and going with the German spelling rather than the French. I'm already having to correct family members who've come up with the expected Annabelle but also Anabel, Annabell, Anabell..!

I have an unusual surname, spent my whole life spelling it or pronouncing it for people. Sometimes I've wished for an easier one but overall, it's not been a major bother in my life! I wouldn't over think it too much, go with the spelling you like rather than worrying too much about people in the future!

Meh I feel like no matter what you will have to correct something, either spelling or pronunciation. My name is Lindsey and I have to correct people on the spelling all the time.

Oh goodness, this is true.

I agree. We are calling our little one Annabel and going with the German spelling rather than the French. I'm already having to correct family members who've come up with the expected Annabelle but also Anabel, Annabell, Anabell..!

I have an unusual surname, spent my whole life spelling it or pronouncing it for people. Sometimes I've wished for an easier one but overall, it's not been a major bother in my life! I wouldn't over think it too much, go with the spelling you like rather than worrying too much about people in the future!

Thank you for that, you're right I should dwell on what others are going to do but how we like to spell it. I've gotten used to spelling it as Madelyn but Madeline does look pretty. We still have a few months to decide :)

Annabel is a beautiful name :) Guess no matter the name there may be corrections. DD1 is Amelia and for reasons unknown both my grandparents and DH's grandparents kept spelling Emelia.:shrug:

Lol your name could be Sarah or John and people would still spell it Sara and Jon. ;) Too many options nowadays.

This is true! Hubby is liking Madelyn now so I think that's the spelling we're going to go with :) Madeline I just can't not read it as Mad-e-LINE and that's not the name we want. And Madeleine just looks too busy to me, I feel like whenever I would spell her name I would have to write it down to get it right.

All the Madalines at my sons school are Mad-a-line and not pronounce Lin/Lynn so that is interesting. The two 'n' version looks better than one 'n'. I don't like names with letters exchanged for 'y' though it always bothers my brain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->