Magical Poppy Jane arrives 11/11/10, 11 months after Penny was stillborn @36weeks

price27

Mother to Poppy
Reaction score
Well here it is, I have finally found time to write about the whirlwind of the past 12 months, including the birth of our beautiful baby daughter!

Last xmas (2009) was devastating after finding out in xmas day that our child had died at 36 weeks. I was induced and gave birth to a beautiful little girl Penny on 27/12/09. Tests revealed several small factors may have contributed to her death. However, both my husband and I were very positive about the future, especially after seeing how beautiful Penny was. We both knew we would try straight away.

And so we did........March found out we were pregnant.....lots of growth scans.....big baby....gestational diabetes....steroid injections for lungs....monitored blood sugars.....due date of 27/11/10...induced 37 1/2 weeks on 10/11/10.

Induction this time was so different as obviously there was the health of the baby to consider.

I went into hosp at 4pm, pessary at 6pm, monitored and traces were in abundance! Doctors + midwives confirmed at 11pm there was no need for a second pessary as i was having regular contractions. However I couldn't feel any!

Around 3am, the contractions stopped me from sleeping and the groaning began! Pacing around my ensuite room in the dark, bending over the bed, rocking, singing etc etc etc all the way till 6am. I had asked for paracetamol but midwives were extremely busy and didn't get it till nearer 6am!

When midwife came to break my waters at 630am I asked for some food first! I am terrible with no energy! Had some toast + tea which came quicker than the paracetamols did .....and probably had a better affect on my than the paracetamols! Contractins pretty close but I still thought I had a long way to go. I wouldn't let the midwives ring husband as thought when he came at 9am it would be fine.

It was hell around 7am......midwives strongly advised husband to come! I knew that meant I had progressed well! Yippee! He arrived at 745am in the middle of heavy contraction and I found out i was 8 cm.

Asked for more pain relief such as diamorphin....too late and midwives said I was so close, had progressed well and just advised gas and air to take the edge of things. I did just that.

Around 845am I was getting sick....I am the impatient type! I felt the urge to push. I tried different labouring positions and wanted to deliver on my knees over hanging the top of the bed but the bloody wires were annoying me. After some pushing midwife said she would give me 20 mins on gas + air. I said and then what? SHe said we concentrate on getting baby out just you breathing. I threw away the gas and said'Lets bloody do it now then'....stroppy just like in 1st labour! I went for it and pushed out another beautiful girl at 957am.

The best thing of all is that whilst I had prepared myself for a sleepy baby from drugs, a baby which may need some intervention to breathe etc ect, esp considering I had previously given birth to a dead baby, I was shocked at how here eyes were wide open looking at me as soon as she was brought up,she was wriggling lots and crying just perfectly!

The weird thing was, all along both hubby and I assumed a boy! He was around my head end cooling em down when I delivered. By the time he got around the monitor and wires from me, I had already thought I saw testicles and said out loud, a boy? to which noone answered me! he came and said its another girl! Being a science teacher I felt pretty stupid in those few seconds! What I had saw amongst sheets, wires etc was the cord tangled up!

SO there we have it another beautiful little girl Poppy (because of the day) Jane Skelton who actually weighed in at 8lb 1oz!

AFter 2 nights in hospital we went home but was sent back as she developed jaundice. Poppy was on a Billy Bed for 3 nights. Whilst I felt I had cabin fever in hospital that time, I was glad of the rest and visitors were very few!

I can m=not praise the staff at the hospital! Consultant was brill! All midives superb! Those who had anything do to with me last xmas day even came to visit me to say well done. I was given extra special care to help me cope emotionally given the past year. It is the small things like this which really count.

And so we are 8 weeks later. Poppy is thriving, putting on weight well through breast feeding.

If you have read this I hope you take something away with you! No matter what blow you are dealt in life, stay positive, surround yourself in positive people and smile. Finding out at 10am on xmas day morning that your babys heartbeat can not be found and by 12 knowing for definite that she is dead was awful. But my husband and I still found joy in such a sad occasion. We had made such a beautiful little girl who passed away in the womb peacefully without the need for early birth, lots of operations etc etc. Those that made us feel down about the stillbirth, we chose not to be around. Those that looked to point the finger and blame, we chose not be around.

Instead for blaming the NHS for the death of Penny (they were NOT to blame but others may think so!), we have chosen to praise the NHS staff for the care they have provided the second time around! be positive! It works wonders for your mental health!

We can not wait to tell Poppy about her big sister she never knew.
xxxxxxx

I will try add some pics when I get time and work it all out!

Omg, you have made me fill up :cry: How you can go through all that and write so positive is beyond me :hugs: Congratulations on the safe arrival of Poppy, she sounds like she has lovely parents and she will have a life filled with love & happiness :happydance:

Big hugs to you all xxx

Huge huge congratulations on the birth of your Daughter x

congrats on another beautiful daughter, im sure penny is looking down at u all and loving it all ! xx im glad u had such a positive experience delivering poppy, i hope i get the same xx

what an inspirational lady you are. To have such positivity through such darkness, you've amazed me.

Congratulation to you and your Husband on the birth of Poppy and Penny. Two beautiful little girls.

Thank you for sharing your story :kiss:

Nicola xx

I have to say, what an awesome baby name you have. Hahaha! :haha: Mine is Poppy Jayne!

Congratulations on the birth of your baby! :thumbup: I think how you seem to have dealt with such an awful thing to happen at a delicate time of year is pretty amazing to be honest. Your positivity shows how strong a person you are!

Wow, Congratulations and what an amazing story. So sweet and loving and so poignant and sad too. Hugs to you and I'm sure Penny will be forever watching over her little sister Poppy. :) xx

Congratulations! I'm hoping for a similar experience myself in the next week or two after more than five years of waiting. Positivity is the way to go. A new baby has a chance at life that it wouldn't have had if things had gone differently.

beautiful story :hugs: congrats on the birth of your little girl

What a wonderfully positive story, thankyou so much for sharing :hugs: Congratulations :hugs:

what an amazing story and both poppy and penny will be very proud of you! congratulations x x x

What a beautiful story. What a journey! :hugs:
Congratulations :flower:

Congratulations you are an inspiration! X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back