Main present ideas for a 7 year old girl that has EVERYTHING!

HLx

Mummy to Layla, George & Enzo <3
Reaction score
My daughter is normally so easy to buy for, but this year it's like she's grown up a bit too much.. she has all the arts and crafts kits, the science kits, she has a phone, a tablet, a laptop, a Nintendo switch, an xbox.

The only thing she has asked for is a pet rabbit, and I really wish I could get her one, but being 8 months pregnant, I think pets will have to wait :rofl:

So it got me thinking, does anyone know where I can get a really good robotic bunny toy? Or something bunny themed as a main present?

She also likes anything techwise and I was going to get her a kids smart watch she can pair to her iPhone, but my mum bought her one in the middle of the year and she doesn't use it :rofl:

She's not really into dolls or anything, doesn't mind barbies but she has too many of them also!

HELP

Following as I have the same issue with my 7 year old!

It's such an awkward age! She either wants a house rabbit, or an African land snail as a pet, I think I'm going to get her a snail pet, however I'm going to spend a lot of time vomiting :rofl:

I don't think I would like a African land snail either :rofl:

It's such an awkward age! She either wants a house rabbit, or an African land snail as a pet, I think I'm going to get her a snail pet, however I'm going to spend a lot of time vomiting :rofl:

Those snails are all over in Hawaii! I think they're cute!!!

But as a former rabbit owner, I'd say definitely DON'T get your daughter a rabbit! They're not good pets for children because they HATE being picked up, they're very shy but need a lot of attention and care, they're pretty fragile and are apt to get hurt if someone does pick them up, they get very territorial and nippy if they're left in cages for too long, they don't tolerate weather extremes very well if you keep them outside and those extremes can kill them easily, and the vet bills are astronomical. I spent over $600 on a single scratched eye on my bunny, and while she was worth it, I was 30 and making my own money. (Mine were all house rabbits with generous outdoor time when I was home.It's hard work rabbit-proofing a house.) Kids in general quickly lose interest in them, but they don't have the outdoor survival instinct of wild rabbits, so most are killed within just a few days of being "set free" so that's not a good option if your child does get tired of it.

I love rabbits, I doted on my bunnies, but they were a lot of work. I don't know if I'd do it again.

If she wants a non-traditional pet, I'd see about budgies. While I'm terrible with birds, I hear they make great pets. They can learn to talk, they're cheap, they only need about an hour a day out of their cages (but I'd get a big cage to keep them happy), and they're fun to watch even when they're not out. There's got to be some bird owners on here who could weigh in!

Those snails are all over in Hawaii! I think they're cute!!!

But as a former rabbit owner, I'd say definitely DON'T get your daughter a rabbit! They're not good pets for children because they HATE being picked up, they're very shy but need a lot of attention and care, they're pretty fragile and are apt to get hurt if someone does pick them up, they get very territorial and nippy if they're left in cages for too long, they don't tolerate weather extremes very well if you keep them outside and those extremes can kill them easily, and the vet bills are astronomical. I spent over $600 on a single scratched eye on my bunny, and while she was worth it, I was 30 and making my own money. (Mine were all house rabbits with generous outdoor time when I was home.It's hard work rabbit-proofing a house.) Kids in general quickly lose interest in them, but they don't have the outdoor survival instinct of wild rabbits, so most are killed within just a few days of being "set free" so that's not a good option if your child does get tired of it.

I love rabbits, I doted on my bunnies, but they were a lot of work. I don't know if I'd do it again.

If she wants a non-traditional pet, I'd see about budgies. While I'm terrible with birds, I hear they make great pets. They can learn to talk, they're cheap, they only need about an hour a day out of their cages (but I'd get a big cage to keep them happy), and they're fun to watch even when they're not out. There's got to be some bird owners on here who could weigh in!

Thanks for that! An African land snail is definitely going ahead now, I've had advice from my mum and dad, both are crazy pet people, well they were they are now down to a shed full of budgies, a tortoise and a dog :rofl: I'm definitely a bird lover, I've had many growing up as my dad breeds them and it was definitely one of my choices :) as for bunnies, I've had bunnies growing up, but they were outdoor ones, I never picked them up I just used to sit with them and let them do their thing, however I'm thinking my daughter will want to pick it up for cuddles! I've been pet free since living with my partner, and hes not keen on anything. I was going to adopt my mums tortoise as hes absolutely beautiful, but my partner is afraid... seriously :rofl: so... a snail it is, my daughter loves them and on a few occasions have tried adopting snails from our garden which is a huge no no! I'm not a huge fan of them, but I'm not scared of them either, just slimey things make me shiver, but it's purely for my daughter and from what my parents have said are pretty low maintenance, they enjoy a bath every so often and eat fruits and veg as we do, I think it would be a good pet for her tbh, as being 34 weeks pregnant I cant commit to the training of a puppy or anything of the matter, she does have her dog at her dads though so she's not missing out! But thanks for the great advice on the bunnies, maybe one day just not now!

I've also attached a picture of my mums tortoise, he is my baby! Sadly his shell is a bit beaten, my dad rescued him, he was wandering around an industrial estate and was in a bad way, however hes been living with my parents for a few years now and definitely lives the life of luxury, and hes only 15! So my daughter will definitely be adopting him when her nan is unable to care for him :rofl:

IMG_20190908_152141_762.jpg

I don't have girls, but can sympathise when they get to the awkward age where they are difficult to buy for.
I hear that the snail's are relatively easy to care for. I quite like the idea of a snail but am saying no more pets right now. We have a cat and dog and a snake and that's enough for me.

I don't have girls, but can sympathise when they get to the awkward age where they are difficult to buy for.
I hear that the snail's are relatively easy to care for. I quite like the idea of a snail but am saying no more pets right now. We have a cat and dog and a snake and that's enough for me.

Agreed! The only reason I'm getting a snail is because we are completely pet free right now, which for me is awful as I've grown up with many crazy pets! She adores these bloody snails so one as a main present for christmas, I think she will be so excited! As for toys, she has it all so this is something completely different!

That makes one of us :rofl:

I have same issue with my 7 year old and 5 year old although they aren't allowed a phone or own tablet (they have to share).

Land snail...hmm can't say I've ever heard of them. My DD would love a kitten but we have a cat who is 14 and hates other animals (yet good with children).

So far we're getting my 7 year old a DS and 5 year old a watch of some sort.

I have same issue with my 7 year old and 5 year old although they aren't allowed a phone or own tablet (they have to share).

Land snail...hmm can't say I've ever heard of them. My DD would love a kitten but we have a cat who is 14 and hates other animals (yet good with children).

So far we're getting my 7 year old a DS and 5 year old a watch of some sort.

My two are 7 and 5 also! :) awkward ages when my 7 year old is like a 17 year old and my 5 year old has no interest in toys for his age, my partner has bought him a proper RC car for xmas though so they can go out together, my only concern is this thing drives up to 70mph, he's going to take his knee caps off :rofl:

Maybe an experience rather than an actual thing might be good? Something like theatre tickets or an annual pass to a local attraction? My 7 year old is getting a kids Fitbit as her main xmas present but probably no use to you if your daughter has a lot of tech stuff already.

Agreed! The only reason I'm getting a snail is because we are completely pet free right now, which for me is awful as I've grown up with many crazy pets! She adores these bloody snails so one as a main present for christmas, I think she will be so excited! As for toys, she has it all so this is something completely different!

I should ask you what I'm doing wrong when I approach birds that they don't like me, then! But I'm pretty sure it's all the cat hair my cats insist I wear each day...lol

That tortoise is so cute! My neighbor, Tarah, has a young one named Frank who likes to escape under the fence and wander around the neighborhood. He's got his house number and name painted on his shell. Good thing we live on such a quiet street. It's fun to have him visit and nibble my strawberry plants.

If your daughter still loves rabbits when she's older, there are plenty of house rabbit rescues, so that could be awesome for her and the rabbits!

I'd ship you a snail from here, but there's all sorts of permits involved. Also, not going to lie, I'd also round up all those huge cane toads that like to wander into my yard (and house if I leave a door open for the breeze) and send those too, just to be rid of them!

Sounds like your kid is in for an awesome Christmas!

Strange, I wonder if bunnies are different other places? We have a netherland dwarf (indoor only) and he loves cuddles and being picked up. He is litter trained and loves his veggies/hay. We had a mini lop but he passed from an infection last year.
The vet Bill's are hit and miss. SOME vets see them as exotic animals = more expensive. Other vets see them as small animals so they are less expensive. Finding a bunny vet can be tricky too. They can be spayed/neutered and in the UK they can get vaccines.

I'd wait to get one as a pet that young but I agree on an experience as a gift.

I should ask you what I'm doing wrong when I approach birds that they don't like me, then! But I'm pretty sure it's all the cat hair my cats insist I wear each day...lol

That tortoise is so cute! My neighbor, Tarah, has a young one named Frank who likes to escape under the fence and wander around the neighborhood. He's got his house number and name painted on his shell. Good thing we live on such a quiet street. It's fun to have him visit and nibble my strawberry plants.

If your daughter still loves rabbits when she's older, there are plenty of house rabbit rescues, so that could be awesome for her and the rabbits!

I'd ship you a snail from here, but there's all sorts of permits involved. Also, not going to lie, I'd also round up all those huge cane toads that like to wander into my yard (and house if I leave a door open for the breeze) and send those too, just to be rid of them!

Sounds like your kid is in for an awesome Christmas!

I'm sure birds like you :rofl: but I'm guessing the cat hair is definitely making them wary! Birds sense fear so even if your nervous of them, they will probably attack, and boy do they hurt when they nip you! :rofl:

Oh my God that's so adorable that tortoise friend of yours Haha! Funny how he's called Frank and ours is called fred, sounds like a couple of geriatrics!

Oh gosh no I'm being fair on getting a snail for her, I WOULD NOT deal with toads, I hate them honestly hahaha!!!

Maybe an experience rather than an actual thing might be good? Something like theatre tickets or an annual pass to a local attraction? My 7 year old is getting a kids Fitbit as her main xmas present but probably no use to you if your daughter has a lot of tech stuff already.

That is a good idea actually! I'll look into that! My mum ended up buying her a smart watch in the year, so similar to a Fitbit, but she doesn't wear it, and they are not allowed in school! She will wear it like once a week!

Strange, I wonder if bunnies are different other places? We have a netherland dwarf (indoor only) and he loves cuddles and being picked up. He is litter trained and loves his veggies/hay. We had a mini lop but he passed from an infection last year.
The vet Bill's are hit and miss. SOME vets see them as exotic animals = more expensive. Other vets see them as small animals so they are less expensive. Finding a bunny vet can be tricky too. They can be spayed/neutered and in the UK they can get vaccines.

I'd wait to get one as a pet that young but I agree on an experience as a gift.

I don't think the rabbit vet Bill's here are AS bad as say a dog or cat, definitely much cheaper, I'm not sure the last time I owned a rabbit I was very little lol and I know bunny insurance is much less a month than dog or cat insurance, but I'll definitely wait for a while :)

I would hate to have a toad too!
We have a dog, gerbil and three huge tanks of fish. That's enough for me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->