Making up bottles advice please

princess31

Reaction score
Hi all,

Please could you tell me how you make up bottles:

1. Do you use boiling water? how do you cool them?
2. Do you make them in advance? How and how do you store them?
3. When you go out do you take the water and powder separately or ready mixed?

Thanks xxx

I make 3 or 4 bottles at a time so I have enough for the day. I use boiling water then put them in the sink full of cold water. When they're cool I put them in the fridge. When she finishes one I take the next out of the fridge and get it to room temp in hot water so its ready when she wants it.

When going out I take a ready made one from the fridge.

*editted slightly as my original wording seemed to cause some confussion*

We make them with water which has been boiled and cooled slightly.
We make up 24 hours worth at a time and store in the fridge.
We take one of these in a thermal bag if going out.

We make them with water which has been boiled and cooled slightly.
We make up 24 hours worth at a time and store in the fridge.
We take one of these in a thermal bag if going out.

Same for me hun... I make up 4 bottle at a time, once the boiling water is cooled, pop them in the fridge, when rihanna is due for a feed I place the bottle in the warmer / jug of boiling water.... once warmed a little add the powdered milk, shake then place back in the boiling water until ready to feed.

If I am going out i take one out of the fridge, place in thermal bag... when ready for feed grab some ot water from cafe and repeat as above.

Hope this helps hunxx

i run this all by my MW and health visitor as every book tells us different things ay... but MW and HV very happy.

I have 10 bottles.

I sterilise them....

Fill them with boiling water, and then seal them immediately.

Leave them lined up along the wall on the work surface.

Add powder as I use them.

The bottle was sealed with boiling water in... which in itself was steaming the inside of the bottle... then the seal wasn't broken on the bottle til I put the powder in, so it was sterile :)

MW agreed that this was a good way to do it, and used to do that herself.

I make up enough bottles for 24 hours every evening. I sterilize the bottles and boil water for the bottles. Let the water cool no more than 30 minutes and make up the bottles and store them in the fridge. I warm them up with a bottle warmer as needed. When going out we've found that the ready made stuff is the easiest way to go.

I make bottles every morning for the next 24 hours.

-Sterilise them.
-Boil water and cool it off,make the bottle and store it.When she's ready for a feed I use to bottle warmer.

:)

Oh yeah,I coll the boiling water off by putting it in the sink filled with slightly cold water...
And I if I'm going out I take one already made in a thermal...

I try to make up Hannahs bottles as she needs them. She is now in a routine that I pretty much know when she'll be looking to be fed. If I get caught out or am likely to be out when she would need fed I use ready made cartons.

i just make up the bottles as i need them ( i keep a flask of water at the correct temp) as i always thought you weren't supposed to make them up in advance & store in fridge - must be wrong as so many people are doing it!!!

Christine
X

I make 3 up for the day and 2 for at night. I use boiling water and cool them by standing them in cold water. I store them on the side at room temp then add the formula when I need it. If I go out I do one made up bottle then two with just water and take the powder seperately. Any I don't use in 24 hours I chuck away

the actual government guidelines are to use freshly once boiled tap water and let it cool in the kettle for no longer than 30 mins. The reason for this is that powdered milk is not sterile and to sterilise it the water you use must be 70 degrees or hotter which is generally gained within the first 30 mins of boiling. Carton milk is already sterile. We are no longer meant to be preparing and storing milk. The government guidelines clearly state we should make up each feed freshly then cool the prepared bottle to feeding temperature. Storing water in a flask is good although it must be 70 degrees or hotter otherwise you are not sterilising the milk. Even if using a flask you should still be having to cool the milk as 70 degrees is too hot to feed at. Adding powder to water left in bottles on the kitchen side is wrong as the water is not hot enough to sterilise the powder. The only way to make formula (if you follow the guidelines) is to prepare each feed freshly then cool. However i fed my 6 yr old with bottles i made in advance and cooled in repeated changed of cold water and then quickly stored in a fridge. Then there are rules to follow about that too!!!!!! A bottle must have been in the fridge for a few hrs to be cold enough to transport in a thermal cool bag and they must be stored on a shelf in the fridge as the door is not cool enough. Complicated stuff. And if your baby has had a bottle it should be disposed of within an hour. I cant believe people on here are leaving milk onn the kitchen side after one feed to it gets to room temp ready for the next!!! That must be a few hours. Just a breeding ground for bacteria if you ask me.

the actual government guidelines are to use freshly once boiled tap water and let it cool in the kettle for no longer than 30 mins. The reason for this is that powdered milk is not sterile and to sterilise it the water you use must be 70 degrees or hotter which is generally gained within the first 30 mins of boiling. Carton milk is already sterile. We are no longer meant to be preparing and storing milk. The government guidelines clearly state we should make up each feed freshly then cool the prepared bottle to feeding temperature. Storing water in a flask is good although it must be 70 degrees or hotter otherwise you are not sterilising the milk. Even if using a flask you should still be having to cool the milk as 70 degrees is too hot to feed at. Adding powder to water left in bottles on the kitchen side is wrong as the water is not hot enough to sterilise the powder. The only way to make formula (if you follow the guidelines) is to prepare each feed freshly then cool. However i fed my 6 yr old with bottles i made in advance and cooled in repeated changed of cold water and then quickly stored in a fridge. Then there are rules to follow about that too!!!!!! A bottle must have been in the fridge for a few hrs to be cold enough to transport in a thermal cool bag and they must be stored on a shelf in the fridge as the door is not cool enough. Complicated stuff. And if your baby has had a bottle it should be disposed of within an hour. I cant believe people on here are leaving milk onn the kitchen side after one feed to it gets to room temp ready for the next!!! That must be a few hours. Just a breeding ground for bacteria if you ask me.

I wouldnt say what I do is WRONG it works for us. They are not RULES they are guidlines and I see no harm in making the bottles up the same way my mum was advised to, neveer did me any harm and I dont think the bacteria has evolved that much.

Whoever came up with the current guidelines has obviously had a screaming baby waiting for a feed!

making bottles up in advance is safe but leaving bottles to warm on the worktop is definately not. and as i put in my reply i have made bottles up in advance for my daughter and she was fine and i will prob be doing this again. I know for a fact that no properly informed health visitor or midwife would advise that you remove a bottle from the fridge to warm up over a few hours on a worktop! I am a staff nurse and my friends are health visitors and one a midwife all with their own children. It could be left out for up to 4 hours! Its basic food hygiene. Would you drink milk left on a worktop for 4 hours? There is evidence to prove that bacteria grows after an hour of milk being room temp. YOU may be finding it ok but some babies are more prone to bacterial bugs than others and i don't think it is advisable to be recommending personal practices to others. The guidelines are there for a reason. I wont be sticking to them by the letter but they are there to be GUIDED BY not completely ignored! Bottles can be made freshly and quickly even for a screaming baby or a pre made one can be quickly brought to room temp with boiling water stored in a flask. I would rather have a crying baby for 2 or 3 mins than one in hospital with IV fluids and a nasty tummy bug, losing weight and feeling poorly. Depends what your priorities are i suppose. Buy some ear plugs........... and the word rules was not meant the way you are implying. I already stated in my previous posting that i have used other methods and found them fine.

It's fine to add milk powder to cooled boiled water and serve straight away, or within the hour.

It's fine to add milk powder to cooled boiled water and serve straight away, or within the hour.

thanks for that Ann-marie.... cos that is what i do :hugs::happydance:

I let mine cool from boiling for 45 mins on the side then pop them in the fridge door. when ready for a feed, pop it in the bottle warmer then add the milk powder and serve !! xx

making bottles up in advance is safe but leaving bottles to warm on the worktop is definately not. and as i put in my reply i have made bottles up in advance for my daughter and she was fine and i will prob be doing this again. I know for a fact that no properly informed health visitor or midwife would advise that you remove a bottle from the fridge to warm up over a few hours on a worktop! I am a staff nurse and my friends are health visitors and one a midwife all with their own children. It could be left out for up to 4 hours! Its basic food hygiene. Would you drink milk left on a worktop for 4 hours? There is evidence to prove that bacteria grows after an hour of milk being room temp. YOU may be finding it ok but some babies are more prone to bacterial bugs than others and i don't think it is advisable to be recommending personal practices to others. The guidelines are there for a reason. I wont be sticking to them by the letter but they are there to be GUIDED BY not completely ignored! Bottles can be made freshly and quickly even for a screaming baby or a pre made one can be quickly brought to room temp with boiling water stored in a flask. I would rather have a crying baby for 2 or 3 mins than one in hospital with IV fluids and a nasty tummy bug, losing weight and feeling poorly. Depends what your priorities are i suppose. Buy some ear plugs........... and the word rules was not meant the way you are implying. I already stated in my previous posting that i have used other methods and found them fine.

I have told NO-ONE how to make bottles, I mearly answered the question of how I do it. I have a qualification in food hygiene and see absolutely nothing wrong in making bottles up and heating them when needed.

I don't feel its up to you to question my priorities either.

I leave my bottles in the cold water steriliser and when needed, I make up fresh feeds up for bubs.

I keep one flask with fresh hot boiled water and another flask with cooled boiled water. I tend to put half and half and if its still not the right temp- I pop it in a cup of cold water.

This works for me. Didnt really want to make up feeds in advanced.

If I go out, I tend to add cooled boiled water in the bottle already and carry a flask with hot boiled water and add when needed. I carry the powder in a seperate dispenser.

I leave my bottles in the cold water steriliser and when needed, I make up fresh feeds up for bubs.

I keep one flask with fresh hot boiled water and another flask with cooled boiled water. I tend to put half and half and if its still not the right temp- I pop it in a cup of cold water.

This works for me. Didnt really want to make up feeds in advanced.

If I go out, I tend to add cooled boiled water in the bottle already and carry a flask with hot boiled water and add when needed. I carry the powder in a seperate dispenser.

i'm going to use cold water steriliser make them up as i go along and if i go out make sure they are fully cold and then waqrm up, it takes as long to cool down as it does to warm up i've found i the past.

what confuses me is that if you have a steam steriliser once you take the top off what do you do with the bottle unless you make up bottles, surely the more you faff and fanny around touching bottles the more germs are spread. its confusing, 13 yrs ago when i had my daughter i made 6 bottles of milk at a time and then heated as i went along, in another 13 yrs we'll be doing something else.
but i will be following the guidlines that are set out now i aint risking my baby having tummy ache, its not a hassle to feed a baby this way if they told me i'd got to store it down the garden i wouldnt find it a hassle either.
please let my baby and i able to breast feed lol

What do you do for night feeds or are you lucky enough that they sleep through?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->