Mamas who had a section for breech baby...

MarieMo7

#girlmom
Reaction score
For you mamas who scheduled a c-section due to breech baby, at what gestation did you schedule it? Did you wait until babe was at or past due date, just in case they flipped back?

Hi My little boy was breech for a very long period of my pregnancy, and stayed in that position. we found out at 28 weeks he was breech, but i suspected it for a long time before then due to where i would feel all the movements. I didn't think he would turn as both his big sisters were back to back and never turned. so by time my section came he wouldn't have flipped as he had so long to do so when he was smaller and didn't.

also if your going to have a planned section it's better to do so before your due date as less risk of going into labour. (both my previous babies were over a week late)

I had my section at 38+6

Where I live they will do vaginal births for certain types of breech deliveries (no feet sticking out). But if you do have to have a c-section they will schedule it at your 36 week appointment.

Where I live they will do vaginal births for certain types of breech deliveries (no feet sticking out). But if you do have to have a c-section they will schedule it at your 36 week appointment.

I'm guessing if you choose a vaginal birth for a breech?

My hospital advised against, i wouldn't risk it though.

In the uk they do breech c sections at 39 weeks to avoid you going into labour. Though I'm sure somepeople wait to see if they turn.

You have to weigh up the odds of going into labour and having an emergency c-section or baby turning last min and avoiding all that.

Yes if you choose and if it's the right kind of breech it's completely safe, they will even do vbacs that are a favourable breech here so long as it's been after a certain amount of time. The doctors here do discuss risks and a favourable breech still is less risky than a c-section.

Yes if you choose and if it's the right kind of breech it's completely safe, they will even do vbacs that are a favourable breech here so long as it's been after a certain amount of time. The doctors here do discuss risks and a favourable breech still is less risky than a c-section.

I couldn't be dealing with the thought of baby being stuck when all but it's head is out lol. but each to their own to those that do. x

US docs aren't well-trained in breech vaginal deliveries so if baby is in fact breech, I'll opt for a c-section. I had a section (for diff reasons) with my first and was hoping for a vbac, but baby has been head-up this entire pregnancy (I'm 29 weeks).

If I'm going to schedule something, I'd love to schedule it at 39+5. It's a Monday, and that would be easiest for us with help with my toddler (she's in daycare full time M-F). Plus the date is special to me and I'd love to have her on that date, if I'm going to schedule anyway. Just wasn't sure if that was too late. I'm honestly not concerned about going into labor before then - I'm pretty sure my EDD is about 4 days early, and I certainly didn't go early with DD1!

Good luck, it's probs different there.

My Consultant (ob to you) only did planned sections one day a week.
So it was either 38+6 or 39+6 for me and he didn't want to risk waiting till a day before my due date.

best of luck. x

I had a section due to breech presentation. But we didn't find out until I was exactly 40 weeks at the ultrasound. I had my c section at 40+2. I was not offered a evc because I had not given birth vaginally before.
Good luck! :flower:

Im in the US, and after 3 vaginal births my 4th and last baby decides to stay breech 90% of the pregnancy. So What my doctor is doing is a scheduled C section at 39 +5 but he will do a ultrasound before the surgery if the baby is head down he will induce me, if he is still brrech we proceed with the C section.

I dont know why I accidentally ventured into this section of the forum, but then I saw this thread just before I backed out and had to stop in to comment, I hope you dont mind.

I had my bhreedh girl vaginally, but I spent several weeks believing c section to be my only option til I found a breech supportive hospital. But anyway, when it was still looking like a c section I had been going to wait until labour started and go in for an "emergency" c section. Emergency only means its performed after labour has started, not necessarily that its an actual emergency (some are of course). I read lots of studies that indicated babies have a much better outcome when born via cesarean after labour has started (though recovery for mom can be a bit worse)
I wanted to be in labour first to know my baby was fully developed and ready to come out. Some babies really do need that extra time to develop and 38 or even 39 weeks is just too soon.

I dont know why I accidentally ventured into this section of the forum, but then I saw this thread just before I backed out and had to stop in to comment, I hope you dont mind.

I had my bhreedh girl vaginally, but I spent several weeks believing c section to be my only option til I found a breech supportive hospital. But anyway, when it was still looking like a c section I had been going to wait until labour started and go in for an "emergency" c section. Emergency only means its performed after labour has started, not necessarily that its an actual emergency (some are of course). I read lots of studies that indicated babies have a much better outcome when born via cesarean after labour has started (though recovery for mom can be a bit worse)
I wanted to be in labour first to know my baby was fully developed and ready to come out. Some babies really do need that extra time to develop and 38 or even 39 weeks is just too soon.

Thanks NDH! I'm hoping to go into labor naturally or to at least wait until 40 weeks to have a c-section scheduled. Although I'd love a vaginal birth, if baby is breech I'll be going with a section. My OB thinks that insufficient pelvic space has something to do with my first labor not progressing and leading to a section, and the risk associated with (a) a breech VBAC, and (b) potentially getting baby's head stuck when the rest of the baby has come out, just isn't something I'm willing to take on. But regardless, I am hoping to let my body tell me when baby is ready to be born, NOT have the hospital tell me when they can fit me in.
Appreciate your response!!

I had a c section at 37 + 1 day (two weeks ago .. 25 Oct 2014). My boy was breech, the fluid around him was little, the umbilical cord was very close to him and on top of that , I had an incompetent cervix (cerclage on at 17 weeks pregnant). I didn't go into labor but my doctor didn't want to risk it further. Sometimes, I just regret not waiting to be in labor. I don't know.

My third pregnancy was a breech too, I now regret not pushing for breech delivery on a see how we go basis. I was just told section and that's that.

I found out last week that this baby is also breech the difference is this time I REALLY have no choice but to have another section. Gutted as I really wanted a vbac!

I guess it's down to you but I really would use section as a last resort if you can :)

My son (now 20months old) was breech for two months, so we decided to schedule a C-section and my midwife was going to call me with an appointment. Well, that SAME evening my water broke (at 36weeks). I guess my son didn't want to wait!

I went the latest my doctor would allow, 39 weeks. I would have gone longer in case he flipped, even gone into labor on my own in case baby flipped then but the hospital would not schedule it for any later because there was not guaranteed to be someone who could perform a csection immediately available, should I need one (but that was my weird hospital). Go with your gut :)

I think I was schedule for a C section somewhere around 39 weeks, but my water broke a few days before and I went into labor. If I have the option, I'd prefer to schedule as late as possible and see if the next baby will come on its own. I wasn't happy about having a section in the first place, but was glad to know that she was ready to be born.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->