Marijuana and TTC

Bubblez88

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to this forum :).

My DH and I have been TTC for about 3 months. He smoked marijuana regularly as a way to relax at the end of the day. I don't smoke at all. We had a discussion before we started trying where we agreed that he could continue smoking unless we discover it's interfering with our ability to conceive.

I'm discovering how much I regret that decision. I often feel anger towards him. I've read studies that swear weed reduces fertility and others that claim it doesn't. I just feel like I've given up so much and he can continue with his normal habits. I also feel like if the situation was switched, I would have gotten a fertility test at the beginning to make sure nothing is wrong and that we're not wasting previous months.

I don't know if I just need to chill and see what happens or if I have a case for talking to him about this and asking him to get tested. What do you think?

I don't like smoking but my husband just had an sa done and it costs $99. So I think it would be worth it for your piece of mind.

Yes, marijuana can affect fertility. Here is some information that may help you, and perhaps you could ask your DH to look it over as well.

https://adai.uw.edu/marijuana/factsheets/reproduction.htm

TTC is an emotionally frustrating process. I hope that you and your DH can talk it out and come to a compromise :hugs:

I know tons of stoners that got girls pregnant :p

Honestly, before you look into getting his sperm analyzed and all that, are you charting and using OPKs so you know when you're ovulating, and BD before and during that time? It only takes one sperm, so even if his count and quality is lower than someone who doesn't smoke, your chances of getting pregnant are still high. It takes most couples around 6 months to conceive, so I wouldn't jump to conclusions yet.

Does he also smoke cigarettes? Because that would be a larger issue than the marijuana.

I know tons of stoners that got girls pregnant :p

I know some who have and some who haven't. Besides how often it's used, it also might depend on age... a 25 year old stoner might have more sperm than a 35 year old. Once a day is kind of a lot. Typical addiction logic where they need something to "relax" or "take the edge off" or "get rid of stress".

I think it's a combination of things which is why studies are flawed. Heavy pot smokers also tend to drink a lot and smoke cigarettes. Some go on to harder drugs once in a while. Some pop pain killers and don't consider them "drugs" especially if they have prescriptions for it. Then of course there's the poor diet that goes along with it..but Mcdonalds eaters get women pregnant all the time, too.

You could somehow ask him to get a sperm count done without blaming it on the pot or using that as a reason. Even if he has low sperm count, it doesn't mean it's necessarily from the pot. I knew a woman who was trying longer than 3 months and the problem was her husband and he doesn't smoke pot or do any drugs. She had all kinds of tests done before she got him to do it. Then she went to a sperm bank and got pregnant instantly.

It's possible, my son's dad was a heavy weed smoker

My boyfriend is a stoner and he got me pregnant so its possible. I dont see how marijuana affects anything, its just a plant. Even if it does cause fertility issues, I know so many people that have gotten pregnant by stoners. 3 months isnt to long, have you tried preseed?

Nightshade is just a plant, too. So is poison ivy, and oleander, and hemlock, and hell, even cocaine is made from "just a plant."

I'm not necessarily against marijuana; I think it has a lot of beneficial properties. My point is that just because something is natural and "just a plant" doesn't mean it can't potentially be harmful.

You can conceive naturally while on marijuana, yes, but it does reduce your chances. Marijuana also crosses the placenta, so women who are even around the stuff need to use caution and decide if this is worth the risk.

Well, anyway Bubblez, Good luck on your ttc journey! Hope it happens soon girly!

Your not alone on this.

Nightshade is just a plant, too. So is poison ivy, and oleander, and hemlock, and hell, even cocaine is made from "just a plant."

I'm not necessarily against marijuana; I think it has a lot of beneficial properties. My point is that just because something is natural and "just a plant" doesn't mean it can't potentially be harmful.

You can conceive naturally while on marijuana, yes, but it does reduce your chances. Marijuana also crosses the placenta, so women who are even around the stuff need to use caution and decide if this is worth the risk.

lol. True.. Nightshades like eggplant and cabbage can also effect thyroid and joints. It doesn't matter that it's "just a plant". More and more kids now have Peanut Butter allergies and that is just a legume growing out of a plant. I'm allergic to garlic which is also a plant. It's not going to kill me but I break out every time.

It doesn't even matter that some people get pregnant by stoners. It just matters if there are a few that don't. The only way to know if he is the problem is to talk him into getting tested. If he's serious about wanting kids, then he'd have no reason whatsoever to not want to get tested. I just wouldn't bring it up blaming it on the pot because that will make him defensive. Potheads defend their pot over anything else. Just say something along the lines of trying for 3 months and wanting him to get his sperm count tested so you can do further testing or something on your end if he isn't the problem.

I regret saying "Just a plant" I feel thats all alot of people are going to read and respond to. But whats said is said. Hoesntly hun, talk to a doctor about it, they should know about it :hugs: Its studies with it and against it, its been successful pregnancies with it and without it, all I can speak from it MY experience because I did concieve by my loving "pothead" husband. But also if you feel he needs to tone it done some or completely, speak to him and im sure he will listen just like mine did.

So yes " just a plant" wasnt the way to word things. Plants are dangerous, some plants anyway.

Just to be clear, since tone is difficult to judge on a computer screen, I was not trying to belittle anybody's opinion on the matter, nor trying to talk down to anybody. It is smart to be wary of everything we put in our bodies, because thousands of things we consume can be potentially harmful. What is dangerous is deluding ourselves into thinking that just because it comes from a plant, that something is harmless.

TTC is stressful enough without having to worry if the pot is making the process slower. My husband is a cigarette smoker, so I can absolutely relate to wanting him to quit so badly but him being reluctant because addiction is so hard to beat. I wish you the best of luck, op!

I agree. My doctor told me it depends how much a person smokes honestly, a light smoker has little or no effect on sperm for SOME people but a heavy smoker may or will have different results. My doctor also said stress on TTC has a impact on your chances. Everybody is differemt, they should deff do more studies on it. Dont get to discouraged or stressed, that might effect your chances also. I was obsessed about TTC but when I got a job and stopped focusing on TTC and with the help of preseed I concieved.

My OH used to smoke weed but stopped before we met. We always feared that and my own issues would prevent us so we added natural supplements to our everyday lives. But as others have said, it is possible but I would consider any possible effects. Good luck dearie. Follow your heart <3

I was actually just wondering about this on the female side; whether weed prior to ovulation would would 1. increase relaxation, resulting in the 'lower stress' everyone says is good for fertility, or 2. somehow reduce fertility, like other drugs or bad habits.

I don't smoke, but was thinking about the question for some reason. Probably because I'm too stressed out! I'd never do anything, especially after O - if you wouldn't get a baby high, probably shouldn't do it when pregnant or possibly pregnant of course!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->