Marital Age and Marital Longevity

My husband is 12 years older than me, we've been married 2 years and 4 months, together since 2005, when I was 16 and he 28. We're doing ok so far :)

My family is a family of long marriages - my parents have been married for 25 years, together for about 33. My grandparents on my mom's side have been married 60 years. My grandparents on my dad's side have been married (I think) 58 years.

I don't think age has got much to do with anything really. Everyone is so different. My school friends all called me mom, just because I looked out for them while they went out doing crazy things.

I don't feel like I've missed out on anything - I went out in my mid-teens, and never really enjoyed it. I'm studying with the OU. We've traveled plenty as a couple, mainly around the UK, but that suits me fine.

We got married when I was 19 and my husband was 21. That is eight years ago this year, and there have been really tough times, we have encountered more than many do in a lifetime and sometimes things havent been plan sailing, but then what marriage is? I am proud of the fact that we have been through so much and are still going strong, that has taken a lot of work sometimes but he is my best friend as well as my lover and that makes the work worth while. My parents also got married young (Mum was 19 and Dad 21, hmm sounds familiar) and nine days ago it was their 34th wedding anniversary. I hope we last as long as them, in fact I am sure we will.

I am not sure if it is mindset more than age (other than abusive relationships), about how much work should be expected to be put into the marriage and also I believe some people go into marriage now thinking oh well if it doesnt work out then there is a way out. Clearly there was a lot of young marriages previously (much more than now I think) and statistics were much better then, so I think it is expectations in ALL ages that have changed.

I don't think age has anything to do with how long a marriage will last. I think that MATURITY and WILLINGNESS have a lot more to do with it.

I got married to my husband when I was 17, and he was 18.

I got pregnant at a young age and this caused us both to grow up and mature very quickly. We've also always had the willingness to make our relationship work, through thick and thin! I think nowadays people give up too easily. We've been happily married for a year and a half today and I wouldn't have it any other way!

Edit: Also wanted to point out that our life together hasn't been a walk in the park, either. A pregnancy in our teens, A husband who joined the military and couldn't come home for his daughter's birth, countless moves in a year, a traumatic birth, extended periods of time away from each other, 1500 miles away from any family .. the list goes on! We've surpassed the odds and statistics ... If we can make it through this, anyone can!

I think that part of it is to do with the hype surrounding getting married and weddings some people expect a big change once they are married, then after the big day realise that nothing has really changed and get bored. How willing couples are to try and work through the rough patches also has a say in things I know my grandparents who were married for 50 odd years until my grandads tragic passing were only teenagers when they wed and struggled through thick and thin to stay together with all the no win no fee lawyers just itching to get a new case couples can get a divorce way too easily, and the celebs who divorce after literally DAYS but thats a whole nothe rant ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->