Massive weight gain

malia

Trying for #2
Reaction score
Has anyone got any stories about gaining loads of weight during pregnancy, and it all falling off afterwards? That might make me feel better.
Before falling pregnant I had a BMI between 19 and 20. I'm 21 weeks and have gained 21 pounds, which I know is terrible, but I don't know how to rectify it. I ate quite badly until about week 12 admittedly, because only junk food seemed to stave off my nausea (thanks bod). However, since then I've been eating extremely healthily - no refined sugar, no gluten, only clean, natural foods. I've been eating between 1300 and 1600 calories a day. I go for a long walk with the dog every day.
Yet, I am still gaining weight!!! Do I just need to accept that my weight is going to continue to increase and keep eating well for the baby's sake? I see women on here who gain 10 pounds during their entire pregnancy and I feel like a whale. I honestly don't think I look like I've gained loads of fat, so I do not understand this massive weight gain. I've always had a pretty good metabolism and been able to eat quite a lot in the past :(

Is anybody else in the same boat and gaining more than they should?

I'm gaining more than I should, but I started with an overweight BMI. Since your BMI is so low to start, you can expect to gain on the high side of the 25-35 pounds. More if you are/were a runner.

Last pregnancy I started with a BMI of 24 and gained 37 lbs. Most of that was in the first two trimesters. Weight gain really slowed for me in the third trimester and the weight I did pick up was largely water retention.

At my 6 week appointment postpartum, I had lost 25 lbs (my baby was 7 lbs 13 oz, so the balance was water retention and tissues like the placenta and enlarged uterus shrinking). Within 6 months, I had lost all but 4 pounds of my total gain.

This pregnancy I started with a BMI of 28 (I gained weight while pumping weaning). So far I've gained 27 pounds in almost 26 weeks. But again the rate feels like it's slowing as I approach the third trimester.

You will likely gain more but remember it isn't fat. Only about 10 pounds of it is maternal fat stores and that is needed to make sure baby is covered during breastfeeding and to support you during labor and beyond when you might not be eating much.

Eat healthy. Stay active. And know this is a temporary change in your body.

I am not sure how much I gained during my first pregnancy, but when I look back at photos I was huge after giving birth to my son. I breastfed and within 8 weeks I was almost fitting back in my normal clothes, and within 5/6 months I was the slimmest I've ever been. I'm hoping for similar luck this time :haha:

I am 5'5 and weighed 114 lbs prior to pregnancy. When not pregnant I have a fantastic metabolism and do not gain weight easily. With ALL three of my pregnancies I have gained roughly 35-40 lbs by the end no matter how healthy I eat. I have a few thoughts about weight gain in pregnancy. 1) I believe if you start out under weight your body makes up for it all on its own to support the baby. 2) No two bodies are alike and therefore some will gain 10 lbs their whole pregnancy while others will gain a whole lot more!

Try not to worry about your weight gain. I know it can be alarming to step on the scale and see that you've gained a lot in a short amount of time but as long as you are eating healthy and exercising you are doing everything right! With my last two all the weight poured off within the first three months through breastfeeding. You are doing great!

Every woman and every pregnancy is different, so try not to compare yourself to other women. As pp's said, since you started your pregnancy on the smaller side, the recommended weight gain is more. And as long as your doing your best to eat healthy and exercise for your baby, which it sounds like you are, that's all you can do. Try not to stress over your weight gain, you're doing it all for the little munchkin you're growing in there!

Thanks everybody. It is so hard not to stress about it. I lost about 4 stone 4 years ago and I've always been so scared of regaining it, so I think that's why I hate seeing the numbers go up. Paris and rose, I really hope I have your luck when it comes to the weight falling off!

I wouldn't say 21 lbs so far is massive at all, sounds like an ok amount. Yes it is more than some, but less than others.
Honestly the last thing you need to be stressing about is weight gain if you are eating healthy and doing some excersize. Just enjoy the healthy foods your are nursing your body and baby with and relax. Babies, placenta, and all the other things that go along with it do weigh some things so chalk it up to pregnancy.

Good luck

If you're eating healthily, I wouldn't worry about gaining too much. Your body will do its own thing and a lot of that weight will be baby and water retention anyway.
I would maybe rethink your calorie intake though. 1300 seems very low during pregnancy. It's possible that your body is responding to this low intake by slowing your metabolism right down and storing what it can for birth and early motherhood, expecting to not get enough then for the increased energy requirements. Plus a diet that low in calories might not contain all the nutrients you need now, even if it is otherwise healthy. I'd maybe discuss this with your healthcare provider but if I was you, I'd try to increase to a healthier valley range and see if that slows your weight gain. Weight watchers have some good info on the effects of undercutting your calorie requirement and I think also have an online calculator that lets you work out what you need based on your size and age and that can take pregnancy into account.

If you're eating healthily, I wouldn't worry about gaining too much. Your body will do its own thing and a lot of that weight will be baby and water retention anyway.
I would maybe rethink your calorie intake though. 1300 seems very low during pregnancy. It's possible that your body is responding to this low intake by slowing your metabolism right down and storing what it can for birth and early motherhood, expecting to not get enough then for the increased energy requirements. Plus a diet that low in calories might not contain all the nutrients you need now, even if it is otherwise healthy. I'd maybe discuss this with your healthcare provider but if I was you, I'd try to increase to a healthier valley range and see if that slows your weight gain. Weight watchers have some good info on the effects of undercutting your calorie requirement and I think also have an online calculator that lets you work out what you need based on your size and age and that can take pregnancy into account.

I agree with all of this. That calorie intake is very likely way too low (unless you're under 5 feet tall and not pregnant, and even then it would be questionable) and it could be causing your metabolism to adjust and slow down. This would cause weight gain. Be gentle with yourself and try not to get obsessed numbers. It could prove to be counterproductive to your efforts.

I put on about 50lb with my last pregnancy and I have lost all of it including an extra 5 or so and bub is almost 5 months old! I haven't been able to eat dairy because dd gets an upset stomach so that has definitely helped in moving the baby weight so quickly!

With both my previous pregnancies I gained in the region of 50lb. I started with a BMI of 19.5 first time and by 2nd trimester had gained already 14lb. I lost all the weight apart from 5lb which I was about to deal with when I fell pregnant for the second time. After my second pregnancy I still held on to those 5lb but am now pregnant again therefore will have to wait till after this final baby. I'm now 8.5 weeks and have already gained 10lb, but I am not worried. It's the way my body does pregnancy. All the extra weight goes on bum, tum and boobs. I was never weighed after my first appointment because I never looked unhealthy. The midwives told me I was preparing for breastfeeding. Nature has its ways. Don't get stressed over weight gain. Even with the extra 5lb my BMI was only 20.5. Enjoy the rest of your pregnancy

Yup! Last pregnancy I was fat to start with, gained like60_70 pounds and I was almost at starting weight at my 6 week check up. I stressed about it the whole time and beat myself up and swore I wouldn't be so awful to myself next time. Hang in there, it's tough to watch your body change sometimes, I know!

My last pregnancy, I gained around 1 1/2 stone and gained another 1 1/2 stone after pregnancy :( boo!

This pregnancy, I'm on weight watchers. I'm 16 weeks on Friday and at the end of my second week and I've lost around 6lbs.

My midwife said its fine as you can eat loads and a huge variety.

My BMI is 35, so I'm doing the baby and me a favour really!

I gained 45 lb last time and lost it all in 2 months. I then proceeded to lose another 12 pounds without trying (from breastfeeding).So... I wouldn't really worry about it personally. Also it's healthier to gain your weight steadily throughout rather than gain the majority after 20 weeks, so it's actually not a bad sign that you've gained 20ish at the halfway point.

I know I don't belong since I'm not currently pg, but I thought I'd chime in. I gained 40lbs with my daughter, and she nursed so much that I lost it all within a few weeks. So it's definitely possible to lose it!

Thanks everybody, you've definitely cheered me up. I just got a fright when I saw what some other women have gained at this point.
I've decided to stop counting calories and just eat healthily and try not to even look at my weight. :)

I was 10 stone when I got pregnant and put 4 stone on! 3 dropped off immediately but the last stone was hard to shift. Finally did it with slimming world then immediately got pregnant again! I did have a huge baby (nearly 11lbs)

I was 10 stone when I got pregnant and put 4 stone on! 3 dropped off immediately but the last stone was hard to shift. Finally did it with slimming world then immediately got pregnant again! I did have a huge baby (nearly 11lbs)

Good lord, i really hope I'm not gaining so much because I'm cooking an 11lb baby!

😂 probably not! Everyone was surprised when he eventually made his appearance

I'm not pregnant just now.

I was a healthy weight when I fell pregnant. I didn't watch what I eat at all throughout my pregnancy, I didn't do much exercise (I walk a lot though) - I put on 25lb. I had a c-section so couldn't really exercise until 6w pp, when I started doing more walking. I was cleared to do abdominals at 12w pp, so I did some youtube ab videos. I had her in October and didn't watch what I ate til after Christmas, right now I'm 2lb up on my start weight, and I'm being pretty relaxed about losing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->