Mastitis - Anyone else?

JoHio

Reaction score
First off, let me say that what ever you do, don't Google mastitis. The images that pop up made me gag.

Now, into my query: I am breastfeeding my third child and have my first bout of mastitis. The day before yesterday, I was feeling off and then BAM woke up in the middle of the night with a raging fever. Yes, my left boob had been engorged, but I was using warm cabbage leaves, taking hot baths, pumping and making sure the baby was still nursing off that boob - even though it hurt like hell.

My hubby had to stay home from work (admittedly, he wasn't well either) because I couldn't keep my eyes open and was chilled, aching and vomiting. Nothing had improved by the end of the day, and I was beginning to suspect mastitis, so we went to emergency and indeed, it was. I am on antibiotics now and the usual Tylenol/Advil regime.

Sorry for the babbling: I actually have two questions. Has any here had mastitis before? I am so surprised I got it with my avid feeder!

Also, the doctor said to keep nursing her off that boob, but the pharmacist said to just pump that boob and feed her off the other. I am going to go with what the doctor said, but I was wondering about the experiences of others. The problem, for me, with only pumping that side is my pump is not half as effective as baby, so it isn't getting drained.

Thanks in advance ladies!

I had it when DS was about 4 months and it was the WORST I have ever felt in my life. I hope you feel better soon. The upside is that you should start improving pretty quickly. I think I felt human again within 1-2 days of starting antibiotics, and felt mostly better within a week. My boob stayed really uncomfortable for a couple of weeks, and I was so paranoid that it would come back.

My situation is a little different bc I was exclusively pumping for my son, but everything I have heard indicates that it is fine to keep feeding from that side. The baby is the best way of keeping the breast empty as long as they are willing to feed from that side. That brings us to the supergross TMI portion of my answer...

Because I was pumping, I ended up being able to see and smell the milk. For the first few days, the milk from the infected side definitely had an acidic/metallic/salty generally off smell. It also had a pinky orange tint to it - probably from blood. Even though I knew it was technically safe to feed, I just couldn't bring myself to give it to him. If I had been feeding him directly, I probably would have never know, and I wish that could have been the case. Also in the gross category, when the blocked duct that caused the problem finally cleared (~10 days after I got sick) I got what looked like a LOT of blood in the pumping session when the clog came out. It didn't hurt, but it was a little disconcerting. I share this only so you have some warning if the same thing happens to you.

Do you get blocked ducts frequently? I found that the stick on heat pads from the drugstore were a godsend. Can you tell where the blocked duct is? Once you can stand the pain, very hard massage over that area will help break it up - especially if you do it in a hot shower. I have also found that soy lecithin supplements seemed to reduce how many clogs I got (I have had many that did not lead to mastitis, but the fear was always in the back of my mind). I take 3-4 1200 mg capsules daily.

Feel better soon!

I had it when DS was about 4 months and it was the WORST I have ever felt in my life. I hope you feel better soon. The upside is that you should start improving pretty quickly. I think I felt human again within 1-2 days of starting antibiotics, and felt mostly better within a week. My boob stayed really uncomfortable for a couple of weeks, and I was so paranoid that it would come back.

My situation is a little different bc I was exclusively pumping for my son, but everything I have heard indicates that it is fine to keep feeding from that side. The baby is the best way of keeping the breast empty as long as they are willing to feed from that side. That brings us to the supergross TMI portion of my answer...

Because I was pumping, I ended up being able to see and smell the milk. For the first few days, the milk from the infected side definitely had an acidic/metallic/salty generally off smell. It also had a pinky orange tint to it - probably from blood. Even though I knew it was technically safe to feed, I just couldn't bring myself to give it to him. If I had been feeding him directly, I probably would have never know, and I wish that could have been the case. Also in the gross category, when the blocked duct that caused the problem finally cleared (~10 days after I got sick) I got what looked like a LOT of blood in the pumping session when the clog came out. It didn't hurt, but it was a little disconcerting. I share this only so you have some warning if the same thing happens to you.

Do you get blocked ducts frequently? I found that the stick on heat pads from the drugstore were a godsend. Can you tell where the blocked duct is? Once you can stand the pain, very hard massage over that area will help break it up - especially if you do it in a hot shower. I have also found that soy lecithin supplements seemed to reduce how many clogs I got (I have had many that did not lead to mastitis, but the fear was always in the back of my mind). I take 3-4 1200 mg capsules daily.

Feel better soon!

Thank you so much! I feel like the walking dead. It really effects your whole body.

Love the suggestions - and the information. Yes, it is pretty gross but I'd rather know what I may expect. I do get clogs in this breast often; it is the dominant feeding breast. I will have to take your advise and keep the boob heated. :) I do not want to go through this again.

I had it with my second. It's awful. I actually fed and pumped, to get it empty. Warm compresses really helped soothe and encouraged emptying the breast. Good news is that antibiotics work well. Feel better!

The best thing you can do is keep feeding from the side that's infected. A pump isn't as efficient at getting milk out, so you'll clear it up much quicker if you nurse directly (and you can pump between feeds if you want).

I've had mastitis five times! Twice because my LO was sick and it passed through to my breast. I had no idea that was possible so keep an eye out for that, too!

It really sucks, glad you got the antibiotics. They make you feel better really quickly. :)

I've had it it's horrendous but antibiotics make you feel better v quickly.

I fed from both sides but always started from the infected side if she wasn't eating from the other side if pump that one so it wasn't getting engorged. My baby wasn't put off by the taste .

Hope you feel better soo. FYI this was when little one was 2 months old and touch wood hasn't happened again x

Thanks so much everyone! It went away, and I did nurse from that side since (as you've mentioned) pumping just doesn't get the job done as thoroughly as baby.

I can't believe how awful it was. I couldn't even keep my eyes open I was so sick. I felt like I was drifting in and out of consciousnesses.

You may be more susceptible to get it on that side again, so just be conscious that you're always emptying that breast.

I've had it twice now in the same breast. The first time was when lo was only a week old. I was majorly overproducing and he could not keep up. The lactation consultant told me not to pump for the first six weeks, though I wish I had. I could pump almost 20 ounces in one sitting every session for the first four months. Lo preferred the right side, though neither side was ever drained, the left was worse. Felt like the flu, fever, body aches, chills...it was 85 degrees in my house and I was shivering after putting on a sweater. My Obgyn wouldn't see me, said they didn't treat (aka know anything about) mastitis, to go to er. Went to the er, they were clueless, too, luckily I had looked up symptoms and told them it was mastitis, they gave me intravenous antibiotics since I was so sick.

I got it again when lo was about 4 months old, I blame it on his teeth. Every time he gets a new tooth (he has 8 now), he bites my nipple for a few days. Ouch. The first one caused a bite wound and that led to bacteria getting in and causing mastitis infection again. I was working a lot and exhausted, and not always vigilant about keeping that side drained like I should have.

Glad you are feeling better! Mastitis is not to be trifled with.

I got mastitis the day after I had my first beer in a year. Didn't realize that beer makes you produce a lot more milk. Then I had an allergic reaction to the antibiotics so had to deal with hives as well:( Swapped antibiotics, and pumped the good boob while bub fed on the one which was infected. Cleared up in less than 2 days. Feed bub on the sore breast, bub can clear those ducts better than any pump will, there's nothing wrong at all with bub feeding on that breast

Yes, I have had to be much more careful about making sure she drains that boob. It is the one that produces more and it has got clogged before - just never all-out infected!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laree1820
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->