Mastitsis

Mummy Bean

Parker & Dougs Mum
Reaction score
Just wondering any off you had this? How did you treat it? Doc given me some antibotics which i will pick up in the morning...but anything to help ease it in the mean time?

Also once you started antibiotics hoe long did it take to stop hurting? And any tips to stop it happening again. I hope once his tongue tie snipped we should get better a latch....which will stop it.

I got mastitis right after my milk came in and I got engorged, I guess a duct got clogged in my left breast and got infected. It first started off as a bad headache, by the next day I was having flu like symptoms minus the congestion, I had chills, a fever of up to 102 at the highest, my whole body ached, my infected breast was tender, it hurt to nurse my son on that side, and I noticed a red rash like patch on the infected breast as well. I called my midwife and she gave me anibotics, and by the next day I felt fine. In the mean time, my midwife told me to take Ibuprophen to help with the pain, it would also help with the swelling as it was an anti inflammatory, I also took a hot shower and massaged the infected breast to try and work out the clog, and of course, I continued to nurse DS on that side too, even though the pain was intense, I just had to bite the bullet and push through. Luckily Mastitis doesn't last long after you get the meds, and the pain is gone about 24hrs later, but do make sure to take ALL the pills in the bottle to make sure the infection has gone away completely, even if you are feeling better after 1 day and have a 10 day subscription, the infection can come back!

Cheers for that. My armpit on that side is like a crater with so many lumps in. I been putting hot compress on it and massaging it.

thankfully my nipple on that side is faring quite well...so whilst it hurts to feed it just about bareable.

Oh mummybean - feeling your pain... Literally. Got anti bs myself today for mastitis! Feel really fluey and the pain in my breast is unbelievable, not just when I feed but all the time, I can barely pick DS up! I was told to try to feed every hour if poss and drink plenty of fluids. Should be better within a few days (I hope!).
Sending hugs x

I actually have it right now, 19 months in. :dohh:

I had it a couple of times when LO was little as well. The antibiotics will do wonders. I'm on my first day of antibiotics now and still in a lot of pain but from previous experiences I'm expecting it to be better in the next day or two.

Hope you feel better soon!

Oh no. Hope u both feel better real soon. The things we go through for these little beans eh?

When I had mastitis, I woke up with one engorged tender boob, the tenderness did not go away after LO nursed. I felt very tired, achey that morning. I got chills and by noon a temp of 102. I went on antibiotics later that day and after 2 days symptoms were gone. However, I also massaged that boob nonstop and did warm compresses, shower massage, soaked it and pumped it dry several times as well as having LO nurse on it.

Now, every time a boob begins to "not feel right" I do warm compesses, soak it, massage in shower right away, and pump or have LO feed on it. If you have a clogged duct that aches, mastitis can strike within hours, and temp can skyrocket very fast.

I have it atm, symptoms started on Wednesday, felt atrocious! got antibiotics yesterday and feel practically normal today, just a bit of tenderness. have been taking paracetamol and ibuprofen which have helped loads :) hope you get some relief soonxxx

nurse while hovering on top of the baby. gravity will naturally pull the clog out. good luck mama. mastitis is horrible! i got it for the first time when my DS was 2. yes. it can happen at any time lol.

Thanks ladies. Symptoms pretty much cleared completely within 2r hrs of taking antibiotics. Deff glad it passed quickly.

hope none of you get it again. He getting his tongue tie snipped on monday so hopefully should have better latch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burgess422
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->