Maternity pay/allowance...can anyone help?

mamawanabe21

Pregnant with #2
Reaction score
I’m only 25weeks but I’m trying to plan my maternity leave etc and I’m getting confused.
I changed my job in February for a position that had better pay and hours, which means I don’t get statuatory Maternity Pay. I checked the guidelines for maternity allowance, but the form to check eligibility wasn’t very clear, and only asked if I’d been with the SAME employer for 26 weeks by due date, not whether I had been employed in the 26 weeks before the baby is due. Obviously.l because I’ve recently changed jobs, I haven’t been the with same employer for 26 weeks when the baby is born - does this mean I won’t get any maternity pay? Unfortunately we can’t afford for me to not work if that’s the case and the idea of putting a newborn into childcare so I can work straight after birth is giving me anxiety.
Can anyone advise, or give experiences? Jobcentre were useless when I asked and just said to apply now and see what happens, and I don’t know who else to ask

My experience is well my understanding is if you have been in emplyment eith the same employer 16 weeks before requesting maternity leave and pay your get emplyment maternity pay but if you havent been with the same employer you get goverment funded maternity pay if that makes sence it goes by your national insurance and tax contribution to what i beleive hope this helps maybe if your still confused give them a call xx

Have you tried citizens advice? I found their website helpful with paternity pay, they often put fake case studies to help explain

You will get maternity allowance! Don't panic!
I'm not sure where you read the guidelines but they are pretty clear here: https://www.gov.uk/maternity-allowance/eligibility

Because you are employed but not eligible for SMP and have been employed for at least 26 weeks before your babies due date (out of 66 weeks in total before the due date) you will receive this.

I had to get maternity allowance after I was hospitalized during my test period for SMP with my first.

I just received my text today from DWP saying my maternity claim has been accepted. I'll explain my situation to help you :) I'M DUE 21st April.

I started a job in july 2017 and left in october 2017- (if i stayed with this company i would have been able to claim smp from them but i hated the company!)

I started a new job in october 2017- as I haven't been employed with them for 26 weeks I would have to claim Maternity allowance. You can claim MA FROM 11 weeks before your due date.

The test period is 66 weeks before your due date - basically if you have worked for like 26 weeks in any weeks they don't have to be in a row from a year before your due date.. you can claim MA even if you are unemployed! but have been employed in the test period.

I claimed maternity allowance from the 1st march, I applied on the 10th march, - i sent off the form, which asked me to put all my jobs in i have worked from 10th january 2017. I put on the form, that i left work on the 1st march. it took 10 days for them to send me a text telling me they have received my claim - then it took another 15 days to tell me how much back pay they will pay me and then my two weekly payments from then on!

I was worrying so much, but it's really simple!!!! also - if you have had more than 1 job which you have - send in 4 payslips which show the highest earnings! xxxx

Thank you ladies!
I’m currently waiting on my new employer to send me the smp1 form so I can apply just to see if I can get it - if I apply now an I state that I wish for the payments to start when my maternity leave does? (I plan to work until my due date)
Thank you again! X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->