Maternity support band - which one? (UK)

bungle

Mummy of 2 girls
Reaction score
Hi ladies, hope you don't mind me popping in here but I thought some of you might know more about these than ladies in the second tri. I've been referred to a physio for the pain in my hips and back but my midwife has suggested that it might be worth me investing in a support band in the meantime. I'm looking for something that's more than just a piece of soft cloth, it needs to actually do something. The one on the jojo maman bebe seems to get good reviews, has anybody used one of these? Or is there a cheaper alternative? Thanks in advance x
Ps I'm in the UK!

When you go to physio they will offer you bands to help you for free.

I have a Cantaloop belly band, but as I have a desk job, I only wear it when going for a walk of when I'll have a busy day. I haven't used any other band so I can't really compare. It does seem to give a bit of support to my belly.

When you go to physio they will offer you bands to help you for free.

Wish my midwife had told me that! Thank you. Hopefully they'll come back with an appointment for me soon, although the midwife said that the maternity physio is currently on maternity leave and she's not sure if they've got any cover for her!

I got one free from the maternity unit at my hospital. I would do a bit of phoning and see if you can get one before your appointment with the physio.

Physio we had was a group session and they let you try on belts to see if they help. I got this one. The size seems a but small but it does the job and helps a bit.

https://m.boots.com/h5/cat_hub?unCo...e-Reenie-Maternity-Support-Belt-Skin_1206717/

Physio we had was a group session and they let you try on belts to see if they help. I got this one. The size seems a but small but it does the job and helps a bit.

https://m.boots.com/h5/cat_hub?unCo...e-Reenie-Maternity-Support-Belt-Skin_1206717/

The midwife said that I would be offered a group session. So you weren't offered a maternity belt for free?

The midwife said that I would be offered a group session. So you weren't offered a maternity belt for free?

No the midwife told us they used to be offered free but now they just let you try them in and tell you where to buy them. They only had the one type which was the one I bought. Worth mentioning though that even though the physio was a group session I was the only person in that weeks group lol.

No the midwife told us they used to be offered free but now they just let you try them in and tell you where to buy them. They only had the one type which was the one I bought. Worth mentioning though that even though the physio was a group session I was the only person in that weeks group lol.

Thanks for the info. So are you overall pleased with the one from boots or shall I see if I can find something bigger? Fingers crossed I won't have to wait long and my group will be small too! X

Overall I'm happy with it, it definitely helps although sometimes it takes a couple goes of Velcro-ing it to get it in the right place. The support is very good, my pelvic girdle and spd pain started at 16 weeks so I've been using it a lot.

Baby is not too keen and I find he doesn't kick as much when I'm wearing it but the pain is far more bearable.

I'd definitely buy it again :)

I hope you get to see the physio soon, I got a letter through about 7-10 days after midwife referred me and saw physio 4 days after that.

I got myself nexcare belt, they have them on amazon. My hip pain is so bad that i have a walking stick from my ohs nan and we had to use a wheelchair in b&q today. I cant get physio as nhs is only till 36 weeks and nobody does pregnancy till then.!!!! What a help.
I am going privately to get some treatment this week, meanwhile they told me to alternate icing and heat pads. I have done the heating and used a gym ball a lot and tonight had a first few hours in a week when i was almost pain free. Just want to add investing into the belt is definitely worth it.

I've got the Nexcare one, too. I got mine from Mothercare. It's definitely helping.
My first (of three) referral for physiotherapy was made at 18 weeks. I have my first appointment next week. So it's taken fifteen weeks for me to actually get an appointment!

I'm surprise it's taking so long for appointments to come through, as with spd and pregnancy related they see you quicker and the Drs should refer you to urgent need as it's very difficult. I was sent a letter and booked an appointment with 2 weeks.

I was really not happy with my physio which i had at about 20 weeks. I had problems with very painfull sacrum and struggled to walk but could get around. She told me to strengthen my pelvic floor exercise. She told me to lie down on my back to do the exercise. I thought she is a physiotherapist, she must know what she is doing. When i went back couple of week later, i said i had days that i can hardly walk, especially after swimmimg, she just said not to do breaststroke style and that it will get better after the birth and did not book any more appointments for me. I thought there is nothing that can be done and i just have to push through it.
I learnt much more myself after that, and also at my antenatal yoga class which i ran by a midwife. I did not even know about pregnancy belts at that time. I know its stupid i didnt but i just dont know anybody who has this problem. My midwife was not much help either. I am very disappointed about the lack of support we get last month from nhs. Maybe depends on the area!?!? I also have a long term spinal condition and my pelvic is twisted and that's why i have had this hip pain since last week. Shouldnt i really get some help? I just think we shouldnt have to go privately. I contribute towards nhs, pay my taxes and NEVER claimed any benefits. And when i need help i am just left in limbo. Sorry for rant, was not my intention. But feels good lol. :)

I was using the Symphysis maternity belt for a little bit and it was helping somewhat with my back and sciatica pain. But what truly helped me is prenatal yoga classes. I've been taking them for the past month and my back pain and sciatica pain are gone. Nothing is working so far for the hip pain from sleeping on one side, but I definitely recommend prenatal yoga for back pain!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->