Maxson Allen - March 20th 2009 born at 34 weeks (LONGGGG!)

MissMandieMitz

Mommy of 2 :)
Reaction score
Well, let's see here. I'm kind of a rambler so some things might not make a lot of sense, lol.

Since about 29 weeks I had been going to Fetal Monitoring appointments once a week up at the hospital. They would check his heartbeat and all the normal stuff and I would be given an ultrasound to check on my amniotic fluid. Ever since I started going to these appointments I had been told that my amniotic fluid was normal (which is between 10 and 20 cm). It was usually at around 15 cm every week.

On Tuesday March 17th, I had another appointment and was told everything was fine. My fluid was at 14cm.

On Wednesday March 18th, I had a growth scan at my OB/GYN's second office. A few minutes after the ultrasound tech was looking around she asked if I had been leaking any fluid. I told her "No...everythings been normal". She kind of just said "Hmmm." and looked around a bit more. After a few more minutes she told me that my fluid was only at 2.4 cm. :shock: She brought up a bunch of graphs and showed me a bunch of stuff I don't really remember. I was told that my baby was only weighing in at 3lbs 5oz. She seemed really concerned so she made me an appointment with a midwife at my normal OB/GYN Office for the following morning.

On Thursday March 19th, I went to my appointment with the midwife. I explained to her that I was being told consistently that my amniotic fluid was normal and I never noticed any leaking. She went ahead and did another ultrasound to double check. Once again, my OH and I were told that the amniotic fluid was at around 2.4 cm. She told me she was going to call my OB/GYN because anything under 5cm is considered dangerously low and she was going to talk to him about me being admitted. I was sent home to wait for a call (because he was in surgery at the time) to see what was going to happen.

A bit after I arrived home and had a big cry, the midwife called me and told me to head up to the hospital that minute because I was going to be admitted. I wasn't really sure what was going to be happening but I called my parents and a few other family members to let them know that I was probably going to have my baby early. I was scared and crying and I was just a big mess.

I got up to the hospital and they put me in a Labor and Delivery room and shortly after a nurse came in and asked a bunch of questions. I was given something to eat as I had not eaten all day. After about an hour or so, an ultrasound tech came in and did another ultrasound. My fluid was still at 2.4 cm. We got to watch him breathe for a bit which was really reassuring to my OH and I. I was told that someone would come in shortly and go over the results with me....but that never happened. My OB/GYN did come in though and told me that he was going to put me on steroids to help the babies lungs. He wanted me to be on them for 72 hours (a shot every 12 hours) and once I was done with those I would taken in for a C-section because bubs was breech. The rest of the night was pretty uneventful although I was moved to a different room :hissy:

On Friday April 20th, I woke up to an ultrasound tech wanting to do another ultrasound. She checked my amniotic fluid which had dropped to 1 cm despite being pumped full of IV fluids. I was told my baby was looking really healthy though and the only concern she saw was that my fluid was soooo low. I was also told that my baby was weighing in at 4 lbs 11oz and the machine is only off by 3 oz. So he was either going to be born 3 oz lighter or heavier than what she told me. She then told me that she was going to have my Dr. come in as soon as he could because she thought he would want me to deliver sooner than what he had stated the previous night due to my fluid dropping. Not long after she left my doctor came in and told me that my next steroid injection was for around 3 pm and he really didn't want to wait any longer so I would deliver that night at 5:30 pm.

I kind of just relaxed the rest of the day and kept my family and friends updated. I was scared, nervous, anxious, and excited.

At around 5:30 pm a nurse came in and said that they were cleaning up the room from a previous surgery and I would be taken in within the hour. It was very nerve-wrecking as I'd never been through any surgery before and I didn't know what to expect. My OH was pacing around and acting very nervous, lol.

A few minutes before 6 a wheelchair was brought in for me and I was wheeled the the surgery room. I was put onto the table and given a spinal block. I really dreaded getting it because I was told that they hurt like hell but in reality it seemed a lot less painful than getting blood drawn. After he finished with that I said "That's it?!?! That wasn't so bad!"

Almost immediately my body went really cold. My legs weren't numb completely yet but I could feel them getting there. Once they were finally numb I hated it. I wanted to move them so bad and hated the fact that I couldn't control them. I think it really affected how I acted during the actual surgery.

After a few minutes once the dr's were ready to go, my OH was brought in. I was so relieved to see him because I was nervous as hell and I was kind of panicking. They started the surgery and at first I felt fine. There was a bit of pressure and it was kind of awkward to me but I felt ok. After a minute or two though I started to freak out. I got really really hot and started shaking really bad. I felt like I couldn't breathe and the pressure was too much for me to handle. Then I got this really bad burning sensation when I breathed and I started to cry. After that went away the surgery was pretty much over and I was being stapled up. I heard the doctors counting my babies fingers and toes and after what seemed like forever I heard him cry...which made me cry...which made my OH cry, lol. They wrapped him up and they brought him over to me and held him out just long enough for me to give him a few kisses on his head. Then he was taken away a long with my OH because he was going to NICU.

Now that I think about it....I feel like I handled the surgery really bad. I feel like a wuss for freaking out so bad :cry:

Anyways. So Maxson was born March 20th 2009 at 6:20 pm. He weighed 4 lb 10 oz and was 18 in. long. He's in NICU currently but he's doing so so well and I'm so proud of him because he gets better each time I go to see him. I couldn't have asked for a more perfect baby. Sooooooooo in love with him and am amazed :cloud9:

Attachments

• l_0d4d0ef3b91f4da3996631ac19a9bbb9.jpg
    l_0d4d0ef3b91f4da3996631ac19a9bbb9.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 105
  • l_e798b3994cbb4108b5c3819b06a3a6b9.jpg
    l_e798b3994cbb4108b5c3819b06a3a6b9.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 159
  • maxxxxxx.jpg
    maxxxxxx.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 126
  • l_72365e1e438e488e93034c0279be4a8d.jpg
    l_72365e1e438e488e93034c0279be4a8d.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 90
congratulations sweetie !!! he is so cute and precious:)

congrats, hes beautiful x

aww he was due 4 days after i am. It shows me how big my little monkey is. So glad he's ok now, and that your levels were checked. how come you were goin weekly for this? I had growth scan today which was all normal and fluid was to be 6cm-20cm. mine was 11.

He's gorgeous congratulations hun i hope he's home with you soon

awww congrats hun, your LO is gorgeous, my little girl was born at 34 weeks and in special care for 18 days, your LO will be home before you know it xxx

aw hes gorgeous!! :cloud9:

congratulations!!

:happydance::happydance:

hopefully he'll be home sooner
than you know it

:hugs:

aww he was due 4 days after i am. It shows me how big my little monkey is. So glad he's ok now, and that your levels were checked. how come you were goin weekly for this? I had growth scan today which was all normal and fluid was to be 6cm-20cm. mine was 11.

I was checked weekly because my AFP Results came back as 1 in 35 but I rejected the amniocitesis.

He is beautiful, congratulations hun xx

What a beautiful story and gorgeous little un, i still cant get over the fact that I have one in my tummy :happydance: bless your little miracle x

Congrats hun, hopefully he'll be with u sooner than u know xx

Aww hun he is so cute. He will be home before you know it!

Congratulations hun, he is just adorable and looks perfect!

Congratulations hun, he's beautiful. Hope he can come home soon
XX

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"