May be an odd question...

Surprised26

Reaction score
I'm a first time mom and the moment I met my OB he said that I'd have to have a csection. I'm not worrying about the emotional disappointment or anything because the way that I personally feel is that as long as my baby is healthy, I'm happy. What has me terrified is being awake and alert when my guts are being pulled from my body. I have pretty bad anxiety (which my ob doesn't know about, I get treated like a toddler by doctors when they know and it ticks me off, so I just act like everything is fine) and I'm stressing out so much about hyperventilating and panicking when they try to cut me open. I've never had so much as stitches or a broken bone and the thoughts of those send me in hysterics too, so I know for an absolute fact that the "oh you'll be in labor so you wont be able to focus on it" will not hold true for me. Is there anyway to request being put under?

Just curious what is the docs reasoning for you having a c-section?

I don't know if you can request to be put under, but honestly I don't think you should - you will miss the most important part! Just try not to think about the details. You won't feel a thing and you won't even know what they're doing. It only takes a few minutes to get to the point where they're pulling the baby out, so maybe your DH can just sit and talk to you to keep your mind off of what is actually happening. I promise it's soooo not bad at all. And then once your baby is out you'll be so distracted with that while they're stitching you up that you won't even realize it either. You don't feel much at all!! Try not to over think it, I think you will do just fine!

I was exactly like you. Never had a surgery, no hospital stays, no broken bones and no stitches etc. I also have suffered with anxiety (it comes and goes. Always there but severity can change week to week, month to month).

I ended up with an emergency c section after a failed induction and almost 2 days of labour. I was scared about the section and cried as they moved me to surgery, but honestly the staff were fantastic (hubby was great too) and the anxiety soon went as nurses were talking me thru what was happening and letting me know baby was fine and almost out etc.

From being wheeled into surgery until baby was out, took 7 mins. I was so pre-occupied with my girl was she was out that i was utterly oblivious with what was happening behind the curtain. It was honestly ok and i would have been more anxious at thought of being put under as i would have missed seeing my baby and hearing her 1st cry etc. I was sewn up and wheeled out of surgery about 40 mins later. It was that quick.

i recently had a 2nd section. Again it was fine. I was much braver this time and didnt cry. Baby took a wee bit longer to come out as the previous scar tissue took a little longer to cut thru but again i was glad i was present and conscious when baby came out.

just a thot... u dont have guts etc pulled out of u. Just bag of waters, baby and placenta. Everything else remains inside so dont worry.

if u want to see 1st hand what will happen (i'd prob advise not):but if it would settle your mind and help u prepare, there are some pretty good videos of c sections online where u can watch the procedure and then u'll understand what will happen. Try not to let your head run away with u. Its all worth it when baby is safe and in your arms.

I had to have a scheduled C-section due to placenta previa. TBH- it was my biggest fear... I hate needles anyway... the thought of laying there, like you, really freaked me out... But knowing it was the ONLY way I obviously had to accept it, no choice.

And tbh really- it was lovely. Maybe that sounds odd- but the spinal was nothing- barely a pinch- no big deal at all- and laying there you don't feel anything- just a bit of pressure-- and then this little person was there. All cute and squishy and amazing. The doctors and staff and nurses were all wonderful. I even had the nurse hold my hand during the spinal (yup! lol) cause I was nervous- and the first thing I said was "that was it?!"...

The recovery was rough at times- it is a major surgery. But not bad at all. Once my pain was managed- I did Ok. I mean, birth is kinda gross no matter how you do it. Just in different ways. But I healed quickly and well- and no complications.

I figure however your LO is meant to come into this world- long as they are healthy, it's all good. I didn't get to experience some of the things I thought I would- but I have no regrets. It was a very calm and lovely experience overall. And hey, just a good reason to get extra help around after LO is born- and more reason to rest and snuggle your new baby ;)

I know it's not the same for everyone (emotionally speaking)- so if you have fears, maybe talk to your doctor or friends or family- talk it out. If anything, knowing ahead of time you have that time to accept it and come to terms with it. I know I did. That doesn't make all the fears go away- of course- only time will do that. Just focus on the outcome- not the procedure (best you can hun). :hugs: btw- I don't think they will put you out- it's too much risk that I'm aware. And like mentioned- you don't want to miss that moment.

If you totally spaz, they will knock you out. I was border line. They said my heart rate hot so high they were thinking about it for me. I really almost threw up and I think I fainted at one point before the whole thing started.
But like everyone says, it's all pretty fast and you shouldn't feel too much. And being included in seeing your LO for the first time is priceless.

I couldn't feel that they were cutting me and I had no sensation of my guts being pulled out (not that they do!)

You don't want to be knocked out, really. I've been under twice in my life and you just feel so groggy for hours afterwards. So spaced out. You won't be able to hold your baby straight away as obviously you have to come to first.

I had surgery last December for gallstones and when I woke up I couldn't even talk for ages, I was so groggy and out of it. All I could do was smile or frown and just lie there falling asleep and waking up again.

I've had two sections now and the idea of them is way more terrifying than than the actual procedure. It's so fast. They get the baby out so quickly, within minutes usually.

They can give you something in your IV to help calm you down. And they will knock you out if you do freak out too much. Your support person will then have to leave the room.

I'm not sure about the being put under but I understand where you're coming from. I felt the same as you. My bp was so high I was freaking out but I just acted like normal except I was shaking violently and this was well before the spinal. When I was laid down I felt a moment of total panic and clausterphobia but what could I do? I wanted my baby. So I just kept telling myself I was almost done and in recovery. Hearing the drs talk about everyday things and their families helped as well...I just sat there listening. And then once they pulled my DS out I truly couldn't think of anything else!!

Good luck! It's going to go well!!! Don't be afraid to tell your ob about your anxiety....they will help talk you through it! Looking back at it....I loved it! I loved my sons birth!

As was said above, I agree that you do not want to be put under (unless as an absolute last resort) and also wonder why the need for a cesarean has come up so early!

I've had two. The first one wasn't an emergency, but it was only planned roughly 12 hrs before it happened. I was 10 days overdue and had gone to the hospital for an induction when they did an u/s and discovered he was frank breech. After consult with the dr, we decided it was best to just do a cesarean as frank breech can be a complicated delivery.

The second one, I was a week over and it had been scheduled for a few weeks. I wanted a VBAC, but never went into labor. The office has a really stupid policy that you're only allowed to go a week over (and I couldn't switch because they are the ONLY practice in an hours drive that even allows VBAC attempts anymore and one of only 2 practices in the area that took my insurance). They also do not induce labor for a VBAC.

The second was worse emotionally than the first, because I had that extra time leading up to it to think about it and obsess over it. The recovery was also worse, I think because I had myself all worked up.

During both of them, my number 1 and 2 concerns while in the operating room was the temperature (it was practically arctic in there) and the little oxygen tube they put under your nose. I also felt like I was going to fall off the table, though they assured me otherwise. The entire process took right at an hour each time, and while the above posts are right, you do not feel any pain whatsoever and I did not feel any sort of 'empty' feeling like they're taking your guts out, there is this really odd pulling sensation. Pulling and tugging, like after you've had dental work and you're all numb but you can feel your cheeks move when you talk. It's hard to describe. No pain whatsoever, just... odd.

You do not want to be knocked out because you will that first moment of your baby's arrival. The first little cries. You'll miss being the first person to know their weight, their gender, so see their sweet face. You won't be able to hold them or feed them for hours while the heavy drugs wear off and you'll be groggy for nearly their entire first day on Earth.

One particular thing that helped me get through it calmly was that the anesthesiologist sits on a stool by your head and talks to you. He or she does this alllll the time, so he can see the signs on anxiety (higher heart rate, etc) coming on and will ask you questions or talk about things to distract you.

It is nerve wracking, yes, but if you try your best to not dwell on it for months and try to practice some calming sort of meditation techniques, you should be able to get yourself through it. I'm pregnant with my third right now and unless I find a midwife willing to deliver at home, a vaginal birth is forever out of the cards for this or any future pregnancies, so I'm most likely looking a third cesarean. I think I'll be more calm about this one, up until maybe the day of when my own anxiety will hit, but I know myself and I know that I have an excellent ability to 'zone out' and ignore things that are going on around me if they seem too stressful or irritating to deal with, so that will be my go-to response. I will focus instead on the coldness of the room and think about something else until the baby is out. Maybe you have your own personal coping technique you could learn to use more effectively over the course of the pregnancy.

At the time of it happening, I don't think you'll really think about it. I had to have an elective section and wasn't delighted about it but like you, thought it's more about the babies than myself. You go in and they numb you, normally via a spinal. You are lying horizontal, so you're not really at an angle to be looking at anything anyway, but there's a screen put up and you feel very little. I am very squeamish, I need to lay down for blood tests or even to get flu jab! But it didn't really bother me too much.

i didnt even know theyd started mine hun :) by the time they said "oh by the way we've started" they were at the point of slowly pulling baby out . xx

There will be a curtain so you cannot see anything down there. It is so fast. But there is an anesthesiologist at your side at all times to give you medicine for anything that comes up: nausea, anxiety, whatever. Just talk to him/her and they will help you feel better. You will be fine, and your baby will be fine :)

I had to have one because of placenta previa too. Have you considered taking a Hypnobabies (or similar) class? The relaxation techniques really helped me since the idea of surgery was terrifying to me. Talking to your OB about exactly what to expect, and taking control of your experience by making requests about how you want things to go (ie. bring your ipod with you, have skin to skin in the OR, etc or whatever is important to you) can really help empower you too.

Honestly it was no big deal and I'm glad I was awake. The spinal was seriously no issue and they even had to do mine twice. I barely noticed and I HATE shots. It was a non-issue. I will admit the birth did feel weird, but not painful, and having your birth partner or the anesthesiologists there by your head to support you through it really makes a big difference. Once your baby is out, trust me, you will NOT care about what is going on behind the curtain. I didn't believe it when people told me that, but it is true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->