May get my home birth after all : )

nov_mum

Reaction score
Saw my MW today and she said it was not out of the question despite my history of Preeclampsia. As long as I stay well and blood work is al good then we are sorted. Just have to convince hubby now. Yippeeee!!!

Awesome news! Every pregnancy is very different, and there should not be an automatic assumption to head for the knife or the Obst unit because of any previous history - It makes much more sense to be aware of previous history, keep an eye on it, and make decision on how you are presenting now with this pregnancy.
XxX

yay thats exciting! the docs think i may be at risk from PE but fingers crossed theyre wrong... good luck convincing hubby.. ive been wording up dh from the first we found out we were expecting (for a hoome birth/water birth) its taken time but i reckon hed give in (after all it is me having bubs lol) but weve agreed not to cos of the cost 9we have to hire a privcate midwife and cant afford it..) :/ shame really that the govenment will pay for me to go to hospital and wont help wiv something that would actually save them some money lol.. n e ways i probs catn now cos of PE... can you tell me your story of previous pregnancy what happeneD? cheers

In my first pregnancy my BP was text book until week 31. It started rising a little 140/95 ish by week 32 and I was referred to outpatients. I got an appointment the following week and my BP was still up around that mark. I was told if it went higher they would medicate. If I developed protein in my urine it would be diagnosed as PE otherwise I would have a diagnosis of Pregnancy induced Hypertension (PIH). That was on a Tuesday. By Friday I saw my MW and had protein and urine and blood samples sent to the labs. By Saturday morning I was admitted, Sat night I nearly had a Crash section as my bp was 170/115. Luckily the consultant wasn't available so I had 10 mins to let the meds work...and they did. My BP was down to 140s/90s again and they fluctuated over the following week which I spent on a hospital bed : ( The following weekend I had higher BPs again and was getting headaches. My protein went from 95 on admission to over 600 and they decided to induce. I was 35 weeks and had a 5lb 8oz boy that was perfectly healthy although he took 3 weeks or so to latch.

Second baby, BP started up around 33 weeks. Protein started a week later. I was admitted but it was jsut before xmas so I begged to go home. My BP fluctuated that pregnancy so it often came down to 140/80's etc and it was my window to escape!!! It took the hospital three more weeks of dilly dallying about with plans to induce that got abandoned when more urgent cases presented so in the end I refused to go there unless I was being seen by a doctor or had a reasonable plan of care. At 37+6 they decided that my bp was 150/105 and was probably risky enough and baby was cooked. By this stage he was a massive 8lb 13oz!!! which is why I knew he was not suffering from any ill effects. Sometimes in PE placental flow is reduced and babies are smaller.

Both times I needed meds after the birth and I weaned off them. I have no underlying condition that I know of. I don't have chronic high BP (although having PE puts me at high risk for the future). I didn't meet any of the 'risk factors' for PE except it was my first birth.

I hope your birth goes smoothly : ) If you do have PE and they are aware of it and manage it well. There are some major benefits...quick deliveries. 2 hrs the first time and 1.5 the second time. The swelling was a bit annoying and the headaches were crap though :(

Thanks heaps for sharing your story :) saw the doc tonight and hes sent off for more tests blood and urine but he seems to think it may be more to do with Gest. diabetes :/ or just stressfl things in my life.. hmm time will tell lol cheers x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->