Mc risk Painting furniture during pregnancy in first trimester

honey915

mum to 2 little boys
Reaction score
Anyone else done this? Over the last three days I have been using strong multi purpose paint to paint a wardrobe for my daughter. She has been sleeping in with me and will be until I can't smell the paint anymore! But my main worry is that after painting I checked online and it says it's not recommended during pregnancy especially in first 13 weeks and that it can cause miscarriage or birth defects. This morning all my symptoms have vanished. I'm 10 weeks plus 2 days and now I'm feeling very paranoid! This is my forth baby and I have been feeling awful sick, tired, etc with the others I was sick until 14 weeks with all of them but can't remember if it started to improve around this time. I'm a nervous wreck! Convinced something is wrong!

i dont have an answer but didn't wanna read and run. I'm curious to find the answer too, as I have some wall painting to do in the near future!!

From what I understand most first tri losses are chromosomal so the painting shouldn't harm you BUT I'd be very wary of painting. My gyn was very clear that certain paints had to be avoided, I had to wear a mask, and make sure the windows were open with good ventilation. When I went to the hardware store they said there was only one brand deemed safe for use by pregnant women. The smell bugged me (it was advertised as not smelly) and it took days to air out, but SO swears up and down he couldn't smell anything lol.

I'm sure baby is a-ok though. I know it's hard not to worry though

Dobbyforever - thanks!! My DH decided I will not be doing any painting unless we get a respirator!! :)

Well I'm still pregnant and in and off nausea. Have scan next week at 12 weeks. Hopefully I haven't done any damage. I have a friend who recommended the paint herself and she was pregnant at the time but was induced several days later. That was planned before the painting. Her baby is fine but obviously she painted at a much later stage. I obviously won't be painting again for a while now! Annoyingly we have a renovation project going on in one of our properties and we were going to do the painting. Looks like DH to be will have to do all the work!

Awww I'm sure baby is fine. :hugs: you can totes paint just choose a reputable brand. I went Valspar because they were the only brand that was guaranteed free of a bunch of bad stuff versus the other ones being like mostly free. And it is intensive so be prepared to be wiped out. I hurt for days after going the nursery in one go alone. SO jokes that you can tell exactly when I go tired. The paint wasn't uniform and I got it on the carpet/baseboard :rofl: and man my back huuuurrrtttt

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->