Meaning of Names

Xpecta

Reaction score
Is this important to anyone or is it just me? For some reason, I just can't name my child something unless the meaning is super important to me. And it sucks. I know. It's weird, and it shouldn't matter so much, but it does.

So clearly I've "Decided" we're naming our new daughter Azaelia. The only problem is, whenever I tell people, they automatically say "Oh, like the flower" and I'll be honest... I had no clue there was a flower named that. So it's bothering me because the meaning isn't special enough for me.

Doesn't matter to me at all. I did check out the meanings of the names we had on our list to rule out any unknown negative connotation/meaning but as long as it wasn't something bad I didn't care. It's essentially a non-factor in the long run, or at least I've never had anyone ask or tell me the meaning of my name (I actually just had to look it up because I had no idea). I think it's much more important that you like the name itself. :)

I guess maybe that's the other thing... I love how the name looks on paper, but speaking it out loud feels weird.

Oh no, sorry to hear you're having second thoughts! What meaning were you thinking it had that made you choose it? I thought flower at first as well. I don't need names to mean anything, I just like certain sounds better than others.

I always check the meaning, my youngest is called Ellen (Nellie) which means 'light' and it just seemed so fitting after it took so much to get her here. I wouldn't pick a name with an awful meaning.

It isn't very important to me, more like a nice bonus if a name I love has a meaning I like.
What was the meaning you chose Azaelia for? If you say "ah, we actually chose it for the meaning xyz", does it make you feel better about it?

Well, I had the name Adalia picked out for my last two children so I figured, here it is! We can use it! However it didn't feel as right as it did before. So I thought "Hey! Why not change the D for a Z?" I loved it! But then I found out there was a flower with that name. I've only told about 4 people and all of them have said the same thing. And it's been bothering me.

So now I'm thinking of taking the A out and just calling her Zaelia. But there's like no meaning to that name haha.

I like names to mean something. Our little one is called jaxson, which is a derivative of John, which means god is gracious, or has shown favour" as we had struggles to have him. Turned out having him was an easier ride than trying to conceive my current little bun so we wanted her name to mean something similar, so she is going to be called hannah, which means the same (there's even a story about hannah that's very relevant). Her middle name is to be Rae, which we picked as it's Scottish (as am I!) and means grace. I don't think I could've picked her a name that didn't have a meaning, despite loving loads of other names I heard. Xxx

So now I'm thinking of taking the A out and just calling her Zaelia. But there's like no meaning to that name haha.

Are you looking for a personal meaning or a literal meaning? Because it has a literal meaning - Google gave me this: "Diminutive of Rosaelia, a Latin American form of the ancient Roman name Rosalia, meaning "Festival of Roses." The festival was a celebration of Flora, the deity representing flowers, gardens and springtime. Variant form: Saelia."

So, it might not mean a literal flower anymore, but it still is connected to flowers :)

I think both names are lovely though - Azaelia and Zaelia.

Are you looking for a personal meaning or a literal meaning? Because it has a literal meaning - Google gave me this: "Diminutive of Rosaelia, a Latin American form of the ancient Roman name Rosalia, meaning "Festival of Roses." The festival was a celebration of Flora, the deity representing flowers, gardens and springtime. Variant form: Saelia."

So, it might not mean a literal flower anymore, but it still is connected to flowers :)

I think both names are lovely though - Azaelia and Zaelia.

Yeah, I saw that. But it was from the name Rosaelia which isn't quite the name. So I spent a long time looking for a meaning specifically to Zaelia. But yeah, I basically thought that it was still connected to flowers. But I'm hoping people won't automatically think of the actual Azalea flower.

I like names to mean something. Our little one is called jaxson, which is a derivative of John, which means god is gracious, or has shown favour" as we had struggles to have him. Turned out having him was an easier ride than trying to conceive my current little bun so we wanted her name to mean something similar, so she is going to be called hannah, which means the same (there's even a story about hannah that's very relevant). Her middle name is to be Rae, which we picked as it's Scottish (as am I!) and means grace. I don't think I could've picked her a name that didn't have a meaning, despite loving loads of other names I heard. Xxx

Okay, so you get it. My other children's names have significant meanings like that too, and so when I mentioned the name Azaelia to my oldest son, he said "What does it mean?" And I said Flower. He was confused because all of my other children have names that mean something about God and he said she should too. Which is kind of how I'm feeling.

Yeh I get that. We were gonna name this little one Rae as her first name cause I love that but it just didn't feel right not to give it more meaning.. hence the switch to hannah with Rae as middle name.
It's so hard naming kids, no matter how your decide. I always deliberate over it for ages. xx

How about Adriel? It's not too dissimilar to the couple if names you've mentioned and means 'flock of God'

It can be used for both boys and girls x

Dollybird - I'm definitely having a hard time with this one. Not so much with my others at all! They just hit me.

Loraloo - Thanks for the pitch. I'll mention it to my husband. It's a beautiful name!

I picked out my son's name because I loved it. There wasn't a single name I loved more for him and to me, that's what made his name so special. His middle name, I liked the way it sounded, especially with his first. I never even bothered to look up the meaning of his name. Thankfully it's rather neutral but I think the meaning of a name has more to it than just the traditional meaning. I truly believe your regards of the sound and appearance are valid factors as well.

Side note, future baby girl on the way and she pretty much named herself. I had a name all picked out and when it kept not happening I figured she must not like the name so I moved on. Again and again. She will have the name we had in mind when we conceived, lol, but it was chosen for it's look and sound. And her middle name is a flower name. I love flower names. :) But it is a flower that has particular meaning to us. If you cannot find a first name you like more the middle might be a good place to get the sort of meaning you are also after.

yes, name meanings are so important to me too. my other children know their name meanings and they are special to me. With that said it doesn't have to be a literal translation but can mean so.something to you. So if it means flower for example, flower means life and growth and beauty. Perhaps one of those things hits a meaning for you that is special or connects with baby.
I'm actually struggling with a similar thing for middle name for this baby. I like the sound of some but meaning is not special.

Weebles- We don't do middle names so that kinda sucks. Maybe this baby will have a middle name just because...

Lazy- That's a good point. I've been searching meanings of flowers as well. Nothing has stood out to me.

It doesn't really matter for me but with middle names it does. This LO won't get a middle name unless we can come up with one personal to us. I wouldn't use one just because it sounded nice.
I only really care about personal meaning though. Literal meanings I've no feelings towards. For a few reasons really - whenever we look we tend to find a lot of names have more than one meaning, and they're wildly different each time. Also so many names have biblical meanings and they don't fit for us, being Atheists.
First names are purely decorative for me. Which is handy really since OH has had a name picked out for his firstborn since before he met me - after his favourite comic book hero :dohh::haha:

It doesn't really matter for me but with middle names it does. This LO won't get a middle name unless we can come up with one personal to us. I wouldn't use one just because it sounded nice.
I only really care about personal meaning though. Literal meanings I've no feelings towards. For a few reasons really - whenever we look we tend to find a lot of names have more than one meaning, and they're wildly different each time. Also so many names have biblical meanings and they don't fit for us, being Atheists.
First names are purely decorative for me. Which is handy really since OH has had a name picked out for his firstborn since before he met me - after his favourite comic book hero :dohh::haha:

So what is the difference to you with having a meaning with your middle names as opposed to not having one for first names..... Does that make sense? haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->