Meanings of the names -are they not important?

SweetWitch

Reaction score
Is it me or does people care less and less about what does the names they like means? Or they never cared at all? Do you think it doesn't matter? What do you think?

For example, Mary (and a lot of its variants) is one of the most popular names ever, right? But why would you wanna name your child "bitterness"? Since when bitter is a good thing? How about Cecilia (blind) or Claudia (lame)?

Or why would you name a child Autumn if she wasn't born in autumn?

Or why would you name your child something that ends with -son if she is a girl?

I have more examples but I guess you get what I mean.

I don't think the meanings of names are really all that important...Some names are "made up" and don't even have a meaning, so I don't take that seriously.

I personally think it's silly TO name your child Autumn if she's born in autumn...Too obvious and silly. Autumn is both a season and a name, and they do not have to be linked as they seem to be.

There's a few girl names that are completely feminine that end with -son; so somebody somewhere must have started it and then it became "normal".

It's all about what society views as boy vs girl names and it really doesn't matter in the long run. Sooner or later every name will become unisex in a matter of time.

To me it does and I wouldn't name my child something with a bad meaning . This babies dad wanted to name him Kassius but it means empty or vain and to me that instantly put it of the list .

I don't really think it matters... I would not have named my daughter Alexa if I cared much about the meaning-being 'defender of man'. Who made up the meaning anyway, and why are they important to me? Just my opinion :) I care about how pretty a name is, for a girl, and for a boy... well if it sounds nice! :)

I do look at name meanings when choosing a name, just as a personal preference. I was turned off of a few names when I read their meanings, so now I check all the meanings and just make sure they aren't horrible before I add them to my list of possibilities.

I know many people don't look at meanings anymore, but when I was growing up we were given bookmarks and plaques and other keepsakes with our first names and their meanings on them, so meanings took on a significance for me. I wonder I they still make things like that? They seemed to be popular when I was younger.

I do look at meanings to make sure it doesn't mean anything horrible, but I wouldn't say that a meaning would completely put me off a name if I really loved it :shrug:. That said though, with one of my sons I liked the name Cameron, until I read that it meant 'crooked nose', that put me off it immediately.

Seems like every one of those little notes about the meaning of my name said something different - so who makes up this stuff? Which one is right? Maybe they're all right? Maybe it's just made up to sell something?
Seems like the name can "mean" anything you want it to.

I dunno, I do look at the meanings when I look up names, but nobody has this stuff memorized or anything. Nobody's really gonna care unless it's come up in pop culture in your lifetime.

my friends daughter is autumn but was born at the end of winter (I thought it was a little weird but its a pretty name)

my name has no meaning - ive searched high and low but cant find one :cry:

my sons name means 'acquired' 'supplanter' so the meaning has no meaning really

For example, Mary (and a lot of its variants) is one of the most popular names ever, right? But why would you wanna name your child "bitterness"?
"Mary" is generally a derivative of the Hebrew "Miriam," whose meaning is unclear, though "bitter" is one possibility. "Wished-for child," "rebellious," and "strong waters" are also possibilities. It's the biblical Naomi's self-nickname "Mara" that means "bitter."

But your overall point is right: people sometimes give their children names that have awful meanings. The issue is somewhat clouded due to the fact that the makers of those cute name bookmarks, etc. often muddy the waters by re-christening these names with nicer meanings. My cousin Dolores had no idea that her name was literally Latin & Spanish for "sorrows," and didn't believe me when I first told her. Those bookmark makers had told her it meant "struggles" or "triumph" or something.

The thing is, the reasons names appeal to us are all over the place. Take Mary, for example. Even if it does mean "bitter," it's the name of the mother of God to some 2 billion people on the planet, which transforms the name into something very positive for those people. I always liked the name "Miriam" (whatever it's meaning) because of the female prophet in the Bible. Other times, people stick to names with bad meanings for sentimental reasons. My cousin "Dolores" was named after her aunt "Dolores." Sometimes we just like the sound of those syllables and consonants together (I'm in this camp for "Cecily," even though I know perfectly well that it means "blind"). The current "Cohen" trend kind of leaves me shaking my head, but I understand the appeal of the name. (This article explains both the controversy and the appeal well.)

In the end, I guess how much name meaning matters is really just a question of how much it matters to you.

For example, Mary (and a lot of its variants) is one of the most popular names ever, right? But why would you wanna name your child "bitterness"?
"Mary" is generally a derivative of the Hebrew "Miriam," whose meaning is unclear, though "bitter" is one possibility. "Wished-for child," "rebellious," and "strong waters" are also possibilities. It's the biblical Naomi's self-nickname "Mara" that means "bitter."

But your overall point is right: people sometimes give their children names that have awful meanings. The issue is somewhat clouded due to the fact that the makers of those cute name bookmarks, etc. often muddy the waters by re-christening these names with nicer meanings. My cousin Dolores had no idea that her name was literally Latin & Spanish for "sorrows," and didn't believe me when I first told her. Those bookmark makers had told her it meant "struggles" or "triumph" or something.

The thing is, the reasons names appeal to us are all over the place. Take Mary, for example. Even if it does mean "bitter," it's the name of the mother of God to some 2 billion people on the planet, which transforms the name into something very positive for those people. I always liked the name "Miriam" (whatever it's meaning) because of the female prophet in the Bible. Other times, people stick to names with bad meanings for sentimental reasons. My cousin "Dolores" was named after her aunt "Dolores." Sometimes we just like the sound of those syllables and consonants together (I'm in this camp for "Cecily," even though I know perfectly well that it means "blind"). The current "Cohen" trend kind of leaves me shaking my head, but I understand the appeal of the name. (This article explains both the controversy and the appeal well.)

In the end, I guess how much name meaning matters is really just a question of how much it matters to you.

Jesus is a very common name in some parts, I bet not all are religious though

Name meanings are important to me; I can't use a name that has a bad or negative meaning. For example there was an actor and his name was Tam, short for Tamlyn. That's a cool name, I thought, but turns out it means "dirty little thing" - hmmm, maybe not :dohh: I wouldn't name my kids anything obviously religious, because that's not who I am and in all honesty I don't want the questions of "so why did you name your baby Christian if you're not one?"

My kids names are both positive, meaning "green shoot" (as in something new growing), and "light" respectively.

Seems like every one of those little notes about the meaning of my name said something different - so who makes up this stuff? Which one is right? Maybe they're all right? Maybe it's just made up to sell something?
Seems like the name can "mean" anything you want it to.

I dunno, I do look at the meanings when I look up names, but nobody has this stuff memorized or anything. Nobody's really gonna care unless it's come up in pop culture in your lifetime.
my name, when I'm lucky enough to have it featured in a name book, because most of the time it's not, is apparently either French and a variant of Louis/Louise, or derived from the Greek word for sun (helios). It's also apparently German and means brave warrior. I just pick and choose the meaning I like :)

It's up to you how much you read into a names meaning, for instance a current very popular name is Amelia....which means a deformity of a limb, or birth defect in medical terms, most people who name their child that probably either don't know or don't care, it personally puts me off what is otherwise a very pretty name...but only as I work within the medical profession and a lot of my associates/friends are aware of the meaning.

As long as its nothing horrific I'm not too fussed about a name meaning being attributed to a personality....that's got nothing to do with your name IMO.

What's wrong with Cohen? That was our boy pick.

I personally don't pay much attention to meanings of name. I trust my child will have their personality, regardless if their name means "happy" or "bitter".

Personally...I could care less what a name means. When someone tells me their name or their child's name...never once does the thought cross my mind..."hmm, I wonder what that means?"

I would also never name my child based off a meaning..like "Lago" for instants..it means god is gracious. I don't like that name so why would I or anyone choose a name just because of a meaning? Same as I would not name my child a name because of its "bad" meaning.

I chose something that I think sounds good to me and that's it.

Now...on the other hand, if a name had a special meaning to me...like say someone passed away and I really felt the need to name my child after that person..then that is different.

It's up to you how much you read into a names meaning, for instance a current very popular name is Amelia....which means a deformity of a limb, or birth defect in medical terms, most people who name their child that probably either don't know or don't care, it personally puts me off what is otherwise a very pretty name...but only as I work within the medical profession and a lot of my associates/friends are aware of the meaning.

As long as its nothing horrific I'm not too fussed about a name meaning being attributed to a personality....that's got nothing to do with your name IMO.

not a meaning but when I hear Amelia I think Amelia dyer... because everyone wants to name their child after the woman the horrifically killed 500+ babies while pretending to be an short term adoptive/foster parent

not a nice name link and yet people go on about my sons name because its a 'mythical' character that murdered his brother... and why would I name my child after a killer :wacko:

What's wrong with Cohen? That was our boy pick.

I personally don't pay much attention to meanings of name. I trust my child will have their personality, regardless if their name means "happy" or "bitter".

read the link, its a highly religious Jewish name that can only be given to people that have a pure bloodline (basically a specific race of people that has been humanly created) and highly offensive for a non Jewish person to use... you might aswell call your kid the Pope

I personally put no weight on a meaning of the name. I think generally if someones name is Mary its Mary not Bitter. Thats how i view it though.

I say "a meaning of the name" because names stretch so far across the globe that we can interpret meanings of names from many religions, cultures, or someones personal choice for perhaps making up a name.

While one person may understand their name choice to mean one thing based on their country of origin or culture or religion or personal views or experiences, there will always be someone somewhere else in our beautiful world ready to argue that the name really means this. We have already seen it in this thread.

not to mention negative association which is 100% subjective and based on your interests, what you have read, and what you follow - news, gossip, celebs, serial killers, tv shows, etc etc.

In conclusion: meaning as no meaning for me when thinking of names....but if its important to you i think thats perfectly great too.

Name meanings are important to me; I can't use a name that has a bad or negative meaning. For example there was an actor and his name was Tam, short for Tamlyn. That's a cool name, I thought, but turns out it means "dirty little thing" - hmmm, maybe not :dohh: I wouldn't name my kids anything obviously religious, because that's not who I am and in all honesty I don't want the questions of "so why did you name your baby Christian if you're not one?"

My kids names are both positive, meaning "green shoot" (as in something new growing), and "light" respectively.

I suppose you could say that its because I am not Christian so I had no idea haha.

I suppose you could say that its because I am not Christian so I had no idea haha. I say that only because it made me laugh kind of in an inside joke kind of way. I am not Christian and therefore I couldn't tell you if there was a name on my list that was Chistian let alone part of any religion across the globe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->