Meanings of the names -are they not important?

We're naming our second daughter Georgia - which means Farmer. I must admit, I was a little disappointed when I read the meaning but I like the name for the name and the meaning doesn't really matter. When I tell people her name, or she tells people her name I doubt they're going to laugh and say farmer.

I think they matter to a certain extent. My daughters name is Maeve, and I love the story behind it..dont think she will kill people as the story but she has a fierce temperament that matches :lol: We are thinking about the name Eli for this baby, OH doesnt like it as its short for Elijah and we are Atheists, but I love love the name and can see Eli w/out the biblical history.

I pick a name I like and if it has a nice meaning its a bonus, I wouldn't pick a nam just on the meaning. My dd is Francesca and it just means "Girl from france" boring! But its never come up in conversation, but everyone comments on what a pretty name, which I'd rather have.

To me the meanings meant something and if I liked a name I always checked the meaning. But I understand to others it won't matter. All I know is the baking process is very special for everyone and it's for with care and love :) x

I don't really think it matters! When LO was born we chose a name because he looked like that name. He is called Jason, which means 'Healer' which I quite like as he has gotten over health problems amazingly from just 4 weeks old, so I think it's luck his name means something to him! But personally I don't care for meanings, if I like a name I'll use it :)

I'm not religious at all but my son's name has meaning. Jonathan: God has given. Asher: Happy. He is a happy active little boy.

The names I will name my children won't have negative meanings. And I have a male friend named Addison and it drives him crazy when he is told he has a feminine name. His father is Adam and he is Addison (Adam's Son). Since meeting him, I've gone off any girl names that end with -son.

I'm not religious at all but my son's name has meaning. Jonathan: God has given. Asher: Happy. He is a happy active little boy.

The names I will name my children won't have negative meanings. And I have a male friend named Addison and it drives him crazy when he is told he has a feminine name. His father is Adam and he is Addison (Adam's Son). Since meeting him, I've gone off any girl names that end with -son.

I love Jonathan :cloud9:

I put name "meanings" in approximately the same category as horoscopes. If it's a nice or interesting meaning/horoscope, well that's nice, but if it happens to be negative, it can be safely disregarded as hocus pocus anyway.

If a name has a good sound to me in my own language, I'm not going to discard it just because it means "plague of locusts" in Ancient Greek or sounds a bit like the Chinese word for "toilet" or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->