measuring 5 days behind

babers

Reaction score
I had an ultra sound today and saw a tiny little heartbeat but was too small to get any sound from it. I am 6 weeks 3 days 100%. The baby measured 5 weeks 5 days and the ultra sound tech checked it a couple times because I told her that was not possible. If her date is correct I got a positive on a clear blue digital at 5 dpo. Not possible. Why would my baby be small? Could identical twins that share 1 sack and 1 yolk be smaller and they just only saw 1 baby and missed the other one?

I'm not sure I'll be much help, but are you sure of the date that you think you ovulated? During my pregnancy, my original due date was early August and when I found out, they estimated me to be 8-9 weeks pregnant, but when I went in for my first ultrasound, baby only measured 6 weeks with a due date of late August. My doctor said I ovulated later than I thought.

Other than that, I'm not sure. I've never heard of one twin being too small to see :shrug: but I've no personal experience with twins.

100% sure of ovulation date and like I said if her dates are right I got a positive digital 5 dpo which is impossible. If her dates are right my hcg was 415 at 13 dpo.

When the baby is THAT small...its hard to get an accurate measurement. Even if you know the date of ovulation, you don't know the date of implantation, which is anywhere from 3-7 days. So its not completely impossible to get a VERY early BFP. With my 2nd baby I had a faint BFP at 6DPO. So yes it is possible. With all 3 of my pregnancies I have been dated back 5-8 days, and my babies are all fine and healthy. So I'm sure your baby will be ok;) I wouldn't worry too much. Now if you were 10days behind or more than I would be concerned. Doctors are not usually concerned with 5 days behind.

Try not to worry Hun. When I went for my first scan I was exactly 6 weeks but baby measured less than 6 weeks at 3mm. I had a scan yesterday at 9+5 and baby is measuring a day or two ahead at 31mm. So they do go through growth spurts x

Yup I was 3 days behind at 6.5 weeks, a week ahead at 12 weeks and spot on at 20weeks.

Measurements aren't that accurate early on. My baby measured 7+1 at 7+4 and then at 9+0 it measured 9+1. So from 3 days behind to 1 day ahead. You'll probably find at the next scan baby has "caught up", though it will be more likely a case that its big enough to get better measurements from. And if its that early they might be dating from the sac size not the baby size.

If your wondering if twins would have put out more hCG, then probably not at that stage. If they had different sacs then they would put out more hCG, but in the same sac with same placenta then I don't think so. I had 2 sacs at the start of this pregnancy and got BFP 11dpo. My BFP's with singletons have been 10,11 and 12dpo.

Hiya - I'm going through the exact same thing- my baby measured more than a week behind and I am sure of dates etc. The tech said the heartbeat was strong for where they aged the foetus, I have to go back in 10 days to check growth. If baby has grown sufficiently then it's just small.

I had my midwife booking in appt this morning, I was pretty down about it but she said it was really common. She didn't promise it would be ok but said they saw it all the time and as others have said, they often catch up by 12 weeks xx

I measured 8 days behind at 7+2, I was devastated. Even after spotting and red blood I was not optimistic for my 12 week scan!

Low and behold, I am almost 20 weeks with a very happy, healthy baby ;-) baby had caught up at my 12 week scan.

Every mm counts and errors are made.

Good luck x x x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back