Measuring ahead

Sara00

Reaction score
I went in for a doctors appointment on Tuesday and I had a scan when I was 31 weeks. At my 32 week appointment the doctor told me the baby at 31 weeks was measuring 4lbs and 4 oz. Her advice was for me to walk at least 40 mins per day and cut down on the carbs. She also told me not to have any type of juice. She basically said by walking a lot and cutting down on carbs and juices it will slow down the baby's weight. Is there any truth to that and does anybody have any experience. I am worried since I'm measuring 3 weeks ahead. I really do not know what to do and I do not want a big baby either since my plan is to have the baby naturally. I am a first time mom and I feel lost. Hope some of you experienced mothers or first time moms can help me.

If your Dr told you to walk and cut down carbs and stop drinking juice then that's what you should do. Sounds like a GD diet basically. I'd still be walking if it wasn't the most uncomfortable thing to do and I can see the difference. Walk while you can!

I was predicted 10lb + babies but they were only 8.5 lbs - I don't think you should worry too much. This time At 27+5 I was measuring 31+3 but they aren't concerned at all and neither am I :)

They'll keep an eye on the size and I know in Ireland they induce you a bit earlier if the baby is huge, or at least a doctor told me that when he thought I was measuring three weeks ahead. Just try to stick to the diet and do the exercise now while you are will somewhat comfy as walking gets very hard further on!

I'd definitely follow the doctor's orders as well and cut down on carbs, sodas, juices and anything that's made from "white" sugars and substitute with brown brown and brown pastas... This is because I think on the safe side, they are worried that you might have to go on a GD type diet as Bethi22 said. Eventhough I escaped GD this time, I'm still cutting way down on those easy sugars so the baby doesn't get too large!

If that's what your dr has advised then go with it but also remember that the scans can be off and genetics play a part too not just diet. My mil is a tall slender woman who has followed a healthy lifestyle her WHOLE life and her babies have all been double digits. I try and follow a healthy ish lifestyle I walked a lot during the earlier months when I could walk and I try not to over do the sugar but surprise surprise my baby is set to be double digits too. Im now measuring 4 weeks ahead. I'm a ftm too so I understand the worry of birthing a large baby and the health of a large baby etc. good luck

If you do eat bad then I'd say listen to dr. If not then I'd not worry. Better a bigger baby then a small baby. My baby has been measuring 1-2 weeks ahead as well. But she is apparently really long!

I want to thank everyone for their advice and input. I did really cut down on the carbs and with the juices I was mainly making my own juices by blending fruits. I have completely stopped that as well. I have been eating healthy since I've been pregnant and I will continue to follow the low carb. I am also relieved that sometimes the measurements on the scans can be off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->