Measuring Large - Can't shake idea of Missed Twin (u/s pic)

KandyKinz

Longtime Mama
Reaction score
What's with women who can't get over the idea that they're having twins when really there's only one in there?

Seriously?!? I've become one of them. I honestly wish I could shake the idea, but my mind is being so stubborn! I never experienced this with my previous pregnancies. With those I just knew there was one and I didn't give it a second thought. But this time, my mind keeps playing tricks on me.... Surely, I'm not alone in this craziness??

It started when I first found out I was pregnant. When I took my first pregnancy test, the test line appeared before the control line even showed up and it remained much much darker. At first I was convinced I was holding the thing upside down and kept flipping it around, but then the shock wore off when the control line appeared and I realized I was indeed pregnant! I didn't really think much of it at the time, but then a week later the overwhelming I think it's twins thoughts started entering into my head.

Then my uterus started feeling fuller and heavier than it did in my previous pregnancies. My morning sickness and other pregnancy symptoms remained about the same though seemed to have started about a week earlier this time around.

At 9 weeks, I had my first midwifery appointment and she confirmed that I was in fact measuring ahead and my uterus was palpating around 14 weeks. The next day I went for an u/s to confirm dates and take inventory. The u/s measured baby at 9+3 weeks and confirmed that there was only one.

Now I'm 11+5 weeks and I'm palpating to be 19 weeks. There were no anomalies found in the ultrasound that would account for the increased fundal height. A few years back I did train to be a midwife and while it was very common during my work placements for women who have had previous babies to measure 3-5 weeks ahead around this stage, I never encountered anyone measuring a full two months ahead without an identifiable cause. I'm rather puzzled...

And then last night I foolishly googled missed twin on ultrasound and now that thought is just consuming me! I've been looking at my ultrasound pic and I keep seeing all of these potential 'I wonder what that could be??" spots. There's one spot in particular I find interesting.

Logic is telling me I'm being totally delusional for even thinking such a thing.

Is there anyone else here feeling equally delusional?? :flower:

Attachments

• resized.jpg
    resized.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 64
I'm having the same all consuming thoughts that it's twins this time as I feel completely opposite as I did with my 2 previous pregnancies.. I've never seen a spot like that on an ultrasound before.. any way you can pay for a private 3d/4d scan as they can be more accurate to give you piece of mind.. If you can hold out till 15 weeks they can also tell you gender at that point..

It is pretty hard now a these days to miss a baby on the scan....though it does happen, just not as often as you think. Get a second opinion if you need to ;)

Hi, I had kind of got myself worked up that I was having twins too! My husband was obsessed and even my daughter was convinced there was 2 babies and kept referring to them as "the babies" even though we had said nothing about maybe more than 1! My test was also a very strong positive that showed up before the control line. I had no idea of dates, the midwife felt and said she would put me at 14-16weeks, just over a week later I went for a scan and got dated at 8+4 and there was only one baby! So when the midwife felt I would of only been 7+2. I am 9+1 weeks today, and been having the slight bubble popping sensation inside, but I'm sure it can't be baby at this gestation! Anyway, I've never even thought about the sonography "missing" a baby and now you have me super paranoid!lol I know what I'm gonna be googling all night! When is your next scan?

Got no experience to share but I will be stalking x

Glad I'm not that alone lol

My next ultrasound will be scheduled between 18 and 20 weeks. So, not until September. I have a bit of a wait!

Its very hard to miss the other baby especially if you had an early scan, usually with vanishing twins you do see them you a re just told they stopped growing or will reabsorb. My son had a vanishing twin and by 8 weeks it was gone I have always measured a head with all pregnancies including my singleton in fact she was much bigger than my son at 12 weeks.

I'm now carrying twins and it was very clear from my 1st U/S @ 6 weeks and 7 weeks that there is 2 babies in there. I have heard of people who missed a twin but usually they tend to have not had an ultrasound until later in pregnancy and one twin hides behind the other so I guess it's not impossible just unlikely.

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"