• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Measuring small for my EDD..should i be concerned?

twiggy327

Reaction score
Doc is sending me for a follow up scan this week to check the baby's size. He said I am measuring too small for 31+5 but didnt get into how small. Could there be something wrong with my baby not growing? Are they going to change my due date?

I wouldn't be massively concerned over fundal height measurements. If you start measuring on one line of growth then drop drastically it can indicate a small baby or low fluid levels but it is not always the case. Do you have any form of chart they track your measurements on? I don't know how it works over there. We get personalised growth charts based on height, weight and size of previous babies. For some reason me being 5ft 1 and measuring 31cm at 31 weeks is way above the 90th percentile line and I really don't get that. Midwife said it might be because the chart is predicting another tiny baby, my other 2 were on the 12th and 6th percentiles at birth but this one is more of a normal size, slightly on the big side. We tend to get sent for growth scans if measuring 4+cm behind or ahead of what they expect we should be at. I have known ladies measure behind and have 8lb babies and ladies measure ahead and have 6-7lb babies. Some carry more or less fluid than others which can also make you bump measure ahead or behind. Good luck for your growth scan.

I def wouldn't worry at this point, as others have said, the fundal height is really inaccurate. I have a couple of friends who have been sent for growth scans as their bumps were small but the babies looked fine on the scan.

I have been measured small and sent for growth scan twice I think in this pregnancy and the baby measured just fine over 10th centile. But has been same for my 2 previous pregnancies.

I would say don't worry too much about the baby's size, sometimes the information on the baby's size isn't that accurate enough until you have given birth and you will know by then.

*hugs* xxxx

Id say don't worry as fundal height isn't very accurate. It can differ from
Midwife, depending on how they measure, how baby is positioned, fluid levels etc. I was having a conversation with my next door neighbour yesterday and she said that she was sent for a growth scan with her second son as she was measuring small and the growth scans said she was going to have a small baby.. He was born 9lb4!

I think it's mostly just one of the many things that could possibly give a clue as to a problem, and they always prefer to know these things in advance... So not a problem in and of itself, but an indicator for doctors to look into it.

My friend was measuring a bit small around 28 weeks and was going to be out of province for a full month so they made her get an ultrasound to make sure everything was perfectly OK for her trip and it was. She mentionned having slightly lower levels of amniotic fluid but nothing they seemed concerned about in the end.

got my scan this morning. everything is looking perfect. Little man is approx. 4lbs 3oz. Fluid levels and baby's size are all within normal range for my dates. All is good! Thanks for the words

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->