Measuring Small :( *UPDATED - post 14*

JWandBump

Reaction score
I had a midwife appiontment at 28.5 weeks and i was measuring around 27.5 weeks, so about a week behind. Not much of a worry well i had another scan today at 30.5weeks and im still measuring 27.5weeks :/ 3 week behind is the cut of for being small, which is what i am :(

So there booking me in a scan for next week. My DD was always bang on, maybe a week behind at the most but was still 8lbs when she was born.

Im so worried atm, has anyone had anything like this happen to them? Could they end up inducing me early?? x

Try not to worry yourself too much hun, fundal height measurements aren't always accurate and there can be a number of reasons why you are measuring small. I measured small at 35 weeks when I was pregnant with my daughter and they sent me off for a growth scan which showed she was perfectly healthy and a good size, so the measurements they took were completely off. Let us know how your scan goes :hugs:

I'm sorry you're going through this, hon. I had a scan at 28 weeks and we found baby was measuring small too. My perinatologist put me on bedrest and told me to lay on my left side as much as possible and to up my protein intake. I ate tons of egg whites, protein shakes, chicken, etc. I went for a growth scan two weeks later and my baby girl grew! She's still small for her gestational age, but not so much that my peri is worried anymore. He's had me on the same regimen since then and she's now in the 39th percentile on the growth chart. I have my last growth scan on Wednesday at 38 weeks so we'll see what kind of progress she's made since then, especially since I've been cheating on my bedrest. Good luck!!! Just take it easy and rest a lot! I think your baby would have to measure in the 10th percentile or below to be considered IUGR, otherwise your baby just might be SGA (small for gestational age). Either way, try not to worry... even if your little one does end up having IUGR (intrauterine growth restriction), many of them are just itty bitty, but totally fine. If they have to induce you early because your placenta isn't working as well as it should be, then they'll give you steroid shots to improve baby's lung function. Anyway, just wanted to pass the info along to you that was given to me by my perinatologist. Hope this helps and I'll be sending baby growth dust your way!!!

With my DD I measured at least 4 weeks behind from 27 weeks on...they kept doing scans and NST and she was perfectly fine. She was born 40+1 at 7lb 4oz, I just hid her well!

I wouldn't worry too much, they seem to be on top of things.

Try not to worry too much JW!!! Hoping your little one will show a good growth spurt on your next scan!! When they measure the baby too on the scan, it doesn't mean it's exactly as they say it is. They could say the baby weighs 3 lbs and it actually weighs 4. Or it could be the opposite and say the baby weighs 8lbs and it turns out to only weigh 6lbs 12 oz. Good luck with your scan!!

I went in for my ultrasound at 20 weeks and was measuring small came back at my 27 Week ultrasound and still measured a bit small but my Dr was okay with it because me & my husband are both very small people.My DR just anticipates we will have a smaller baby which is fine.Me & hubby were both small babies and are small people as adults.

I'm in the same boat, was just told I am measuring small (which i kind of thought because my bump is pretty small for being 32 wks) so I have to schedule a scan for next week to see whats up...hope everything is ok but the doc didnt seem too worried. he said my weight gain has been ok and its most likely just because i am small to begin with...

I can't offer any information on this but wanted to say that my niece was measuring small and now she is a reasonably tall 9 year old.

In fact, I can't get my mind around how these measurements make sense, people come in all different sizes so why would an unborn baby be any different. Maybe your bub will be closer to 5" than 6" when she's grown up.

Thank you everyone, I feel better now this morning. I am a small girl and OH isn't exactly big. They predicted DD to be 6lbs but she was 8lbs. I've just never measured this far behind before, I mean I know I have a small bump tho.

I will update when I've had my scan and everything :) thank you xx

Hi JW.
I'm also in the same boat. I'm now 34 weeks adn have been measuring small for a while. I have my second growth scan on Thusrday to check the progress. Placenta, cord and fluid all ok. It seems odd as I'm 5"8 and my husband 6"4, but I'm confident that no matter what happens, the Drs are at hand to help.

Well ive just had a call from the hospital they have booked me in for a scan tomorrow at 3.30, fingers crossed it will all go ok! Ill update what happens after. Thanks xxx

YAY!! You get to see your LO again!! Will be waiting to hear the news! It just means you get to peek at your LO at least once or twice more before you have them in your arms!!

I love the scans! I was sad about not seeing our LO again until giving birth but I know that's how it goes. But found out last week with measuring ahead 2 weeks they want to do growth scans. I think he's just a big baby but they don't want him too large. DS1 was a week early and was 8 lbs 6.2 oz.

Fingers crossed-hope the scan shows all is well :)

Just remember, scans can be off 1/2 to 1 pound in either direction so even if they say the baby is measuring small, it could really be a pound bigger.

We are in the opposite boat-baby is measuring big, so we're hoping that our scan was off but in the other direction! Ha!!

UPDATE: Ive just had my scan and he's measuring perfectly at 4lbs :D he's just head down and 3/5 engaged so that's why my bump has dropped lots and I don't look that big :) Aslong as he's ok I'd all that matters :D

There's still sending me for another on the 23rd tho lol I don't think I need it but any chance to see him! Thanks everyone for advise xx

This has made me feel much better, I'm in the same situation !
I have to go for a scan next wednesday, and I am a little worried..
Glad everything has turned out well <3

So glad he's doing well!! Woohoo to 4 lbs!!!! That's great!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->