Medela Breast Pump. Which is better?

Kelx44

Reaction score
Im looking for a Medela Breast pump.

There is 2 kinds im looking at. The electric Free Style or the electric Pump In Style. These two is the double electric breast pump and was wondering which one is the best.

Anyone have any of these and like to give a review? Thank you

I have the Medela Pump in Style and really like it. I've been using it the past 8 months and haven't had any problems. When I was researching the 2 when I was pregnant, I had read a few reviews that the Free Style didn't have quite as good of suction so that's one thing I used to help influence my decision.

Good luck!

Can you be mobile while using your pump?

I had a Pump'N'Style (or maybe it was pump'n'flow. I can't remember. It was very similar to my sister's new pump'n'style just looked like an older model of it but all the attachments fit both pumps.) but I had to junk it after my DD because the motor went out. I got it secondhand when it was a few years old, replaced everything but the pump before using it with my kids, and it lasted for 4 years. I loved my Medela pump and was SO bummed when it crapped out on me. My insurance sent me a new one but it's an Ameda so we'll see if it works as well as the Medela. If it doesn't, I'm buying one. Anyway, mine came with a battery pack so I could pump while on the go but found it too hard to be up and moving while pumping (if that's what you mean by being mobile). I would just sit on the bed, tuck a burp rag under my boobs as I'd dribble a bunch until I got the nipple shield things aligned just right and catch any leaking while pumping, and then I'd just relax for 20 minutes. Easy as that. I did have to pump both sides at the same time though as I didn't let down (while pumping) unless both sides were stimulated.

I love my pump in style! Never had a single problem!

I like my pump in style. I haven't used it a ton as I'm renting a hospital grade medela pump at the moment and mostly use it but I don't have any complaints. :)

With the pump in style can you do say house work when u pump? Lol or do you have too sit exclusively while pumping? I'm a multi tasked at best haha .

IDK if you could do housework. You'd be one handed at most as you need to hold the nipple shield thing to your bb while pumping and you'd have to be pretty good at doing that while walking around with a clunky bag hanging from your arm. for me it was easier to just sit down for the 15-20 minutes I needed to pump and then get back to work.

lol thats true, I think I will go with the pump in style. Slightly cheaper as well... They retail here in Canada for 379 pretty pricey! In the states it would cost around 269. I accidently went on the states walmart site and got excited the price went down then to my dissapointment realized I was on the wrong website...lol

You can search online for tutorials to make your own hands free bra to pump in. I'm able to organize bills and other things that can be done while sitting with mine.

They sell some sports bra looking thing that u can supposedly wear so u can pump hands free, but I haven't tried it

Free style is awesome! I can get house work done with the pump strapped to my belt loop. No complaints!

i have a pump in style advanced starter set, but was previously using a double select that was handed down from my sister in law that she never used..the double select took forrreeevverrr to pump with, but the pump in style (my insurance covered the basic starter, so the pump, flanges, two bottles and tubing/cords, no tote bag, but thats ok with me, since i pump at home anyway) usually takes me about 20 mins each side (too hard to hold both at the same time, but thats just me!) I know that here in the US insurance has to subsidize most or all of the cost of a pump, i dont know if there is anything like that where you are also...but all in all, i like the pump in style alot! :flower:

I have a rented hospital grade Medela Symphony 3.0. It is a GOD SEND. I have two cheap sports bras I cut holes into (courtesy of online tutorials). I'm able to multi-task while pumping, albeit mostly still sitting but doing stuff like paperwork, bills, anything involving typing on the computer, reading the newspaper, eating a sandwich, or holding a phone to the ear (etc). I can also hold the baby if I need to while pumping. But honestly mostly I eat a snack and drink water and read this forum while pumping! lol

I've had my Medela Pump in Style Advanced Breast Pump for 6 months now and wanted to address some of the complaints I saw when I was reading reviews to select a pump because I've experienced NONE of these issues.

1) if it needs maintenance, you have to send the whole tote in: The pump itself is now velcroed into the tote so it can be removed for service if needed. pumping 2 to 5 times per day, 30 to 60 min sessions, and mine has required none.

2) the parts are hard to clean/membranes easy to tear: I run clean hot water through my parts, shake the excess water off and put them in a ziplock with a paper towel to catch any more excess while I'm at work and place that bag in a cooler by itself since my milk cooler isn't large enough. Then wash them thoroughly with soap at the end of the day and store the entire pkg, cooler, ice pack, and parts in the freezer overnight. I have NEVER had any mold or mildew issues and there are nipple brushes that can get into the crevices to clean where I saw someone mention none will fit. The membranes have never torn - I simply leave them on unless I'm running them through the dishwasher which happens weekly. They are tiny parts but imperative for operation and they must be replaced from time to time anyway to maintain good suction - keep a spare set handy. I lost one down the drain by mistake just this morning.

3) mold or mildew in the tubes from condesation: This is easy to prevent. When you are done pumping, disconnect them from the flanges and leave the machine on for a minute while you're removing the flanges from yourself and wiping yourself off. Then turn the machine off and finish your cleanup.

4) noisy: This machine is much quieter than the lansinoh I had that broke at work and necessitated me buying this machine. I used the Medela at the hospital while my son was in NICU and it was great. This machine is a little louder than the hospital model but the suction is not lacking at all.

5) bags falling apart/subpar craftsmanship: I have been carrying this tote everywhere for 6 months and my seams are still tight, zippers are not falling off or broken, etc. I stuff mine full to the gills and haven't seen any unexpected wear from my harsh treatment. This thing gets put under my desk and shoved with my foot multiple times daily. It is holding up MUCH better than expected after reading the reviews prior to buying it.

Now, I never saw mention of this but the battery life on the battery pack was much better than expected. I thought for sure 8 AA's would never last through my lunch hr 45 min pumping session but they've held up through 2. Suction did start to wane but I only had access to cheap junk batteries so that's not the pump's issue.

Thank you Medela for making a good product that I can RELY on to let me work and provide the best food possible for my son. I have and will continue to recommend this to any of my friends who want to nurse and have to work.

Can you be mobile while using your pump?

They sell hands free pumping bras that cost around $40. My best friend bought one and it tore within a week (lots of taking on and off)! I got an old sports bra (or you could buy a new one-still cheaper than $40) and cut small holes to stick the pump parts through. The sports bra has held up for me for almost 3 months now-they are much more durable!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->