Medical terms...help!!!

laurbagss

Mummy of 2 & Bump <3
Reaction score
Hey :) Its my due date today so went into midwife appointment, had my sweep and I dont understand a bit she wrote in my notes... I'll just write everything she wrote in book and if someone can please help me understand what it all means haha!!

'sweep given with consent. cervix posterior but 25% effaced. OS closed station -3. induction booked 6-2-2011.' Ohhh and i am 2/5 palpable now. :)

she explained that my cervix was right back but she managed to bring it down a little with the sweep but its starting to thin, but i dont understand totally what it means in terms of ... HOW LONG HAVE I GOT :(

i really wanna meet my little man and have been trying everything! and what is OS? obviously I understand the bit where she booked my induction for the 6th feb haha.

Soz can't help with the terms hun but I'm due today too and have a sweep booked tomow..did it hurt??

I wouldnt say it hurts, it is uncomfortable, it hurt more when I had a speculum ..x

I think this is right! Here goes!

Your cervix is usually posterior, and has to move forwards for labour to start. It also has to thin out. It sounds like your cervix is still at the back, and has started to thin out a bit (25%) but still has a way to go before it's ready. The os (opening to the cervix) is still closed so you're not dilating yet and station -3 means baby is still quite high up (they mark from -3 (still high) to +3 (crowning) I think). The 2/5 palpable means she can still feel 2/5 of the baby's head in your tummy, so not fully engaged yet. Sounds like things are beginning to change, but not ready to go yet. Sorry!

I'm feeling your pain - I'm 40 +2 and my midwife wouldn't even do an examination or attempt a sweep today as she said it wouldn't work yet :(

I am 2/5ths... I think you have to get to 0 before you are ready for birth. The registrar who did my sweep didn't write ANYTHING in my notes about doing it, cervix or dialation just this 2/5th thing... she booked me in for induction on the 7th and I have to have another sweep next thursday if this one doesn't work.

My sweep was uncomfortable - felt like she was trying to screw a bottle lid on inside of me! she asked if I wanted her to stop at one point - NO just keep going get it done and over please.

I am 38 weeks + 5 and they did mine now as that is what the consultant wanted based on my previous pregnancy histories.

is it highly advised to have a sweep if you get to full term. i mean would they think i was mad if i said i would rather not . . i am quite squeamish and i dont like being messed about with too much. i really dont like the idea of people prodding me about and measuring me in early labour either . .

is it highly advised to have a sweep if you get to full term. i mean would they think i was mad if i said i would rather not . . i am quite squeamish and i dont like being messed about with too much. i really dont like the idea of people prodding me about and measuring me in early labour either . .

It's completely your choice. I went to 42 weeks with my son and didn't have a sweep. I don't intend to this time either. :)

ukmum2b - no there is no reason you need to have a sweep at all. I don't like the idea of people attempting to force my baby to come when he's not ready so I'll decline sweeps as well. If I happen to go over the 42 weeks, I'll opt for monitoring of baby and placenta to make sure all is well and baby can come when he pleases (assuming everything is safe and healthy.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->