medication taken not knowing I was pregnant

Mangomoo

Annabelle Lauren 12.08.08
Reaction score
Hi

This pregnancy stuff is full of ups and downs!

I don't know if anybody knows about the potential harm some medication can have on your unborn baby - I could do with some advice.

Just at the point of conception I had just started to take Champix (Chantix) - a drug that stops you smoking, there is little research about the possible effects, but one quote on a website says:
'CHANTIX should be used during pregnancy only if the potential benefit justifies the potential risk to the fetus.'

I was also taking a course of Metronidazole antibiotics in the third week for a week

I was also taking the Yasmin contracteptive pill for two weeks.

Oh and in the first five weeks (apart from the week I was on the antibiotics) I have drunk, not excessively but I was tipsy and eaten shellfish, medium rare steaks etc.

I have had a dating scan today (I thought I was 4 weeks) which put me at 8 weeks, the nurse that did the scan measured everthing and said that it looked normal and the heartbeat was fluttering away.

As you can see our pregnancy was completely unplanned but we are both thrilled now. I have been taking supliments sine the 15th December (5th week)

Should I make an appointment with my GP to discuss the worries I have or should I wait until I go and see the Midwife on the 23rd January?

Thank you for any possible advice/experiences you have had with my worries that you might share with me.

as far as i know contraceptive pills cant hurt the baby
as far as food in concerned same just dont eat it now
the other medications im not certain about but a lot of things in pregnancy are precautions because we dont know for certain their effects so on the flip side that means that youre more than likely fine. ask your doc for some peace of mind

congrats on your pregnancy, and have a healthy one :)

I took Yasmin too when I didn't know I was pregnant and was really worried about it, but at my 12 week scan everything looked perfectly fine. I think I stopped taking it at about 6 weeks (straight away when I found out). I also ate things I shouldn't - raw egg whites, brie, rare meats. And I got drunk when I was 5 weeks and 6 weeks when I didn't know I was pregnant. I don't really drink much either but I had two big celebrations going on. So basically, aside from the medication, I've done really similar things to you! The medication you have taken shouldn't cause a problem now, because your body won't be being affected by it so if everything was fine at 8 weeks, nothing should be negatively affected now. At least, that's what I would have thought. Also, lots of medications have warnings on them for pregnant women to discuss with their dr or pharamacist before taking them...but my dr said that's mainly because they haven't been properly tested...even antisickness pills aren't tested on pregnant women - or at least that's what my dr told me today!

I just think about how a few decades ago women had no idea about what could and couldn't harm their baby. My mother knew a woman who drunk 4 pints a day all way through pregnancy. I think she was really lucky not to have kids who had problems....

I had the same worries. I took anti psychotic drugs, parkinsons medication and various other things. My midwife said the best thing to do is not worry, the reason they say not to take things is because they dont have enough proof they are ok cos they are not allowed to test things on pregnant women, but most things are perfectly safe. She told me that chances are worrying and getting stressed about it will probably do more harm than the drugs did.. I know its hard but do try not to worry take your vitamins and do the best you can for the baby now

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->