Mei Tai help please!

nightkd

Mum to two!
Reaction score
I have a WAHM Mei Tai...I tried E in it when she was very small (tucked her legs into it) but it wasn't supportive enough for her, so I waited...

I tried her in it a couple of days ago and she seems to fit it a lot better...but DH made me paranoid by looking at her feet like I was cutting off the supply to them by having her legs either side of the base... :wacko: How do you know if LO is comfortable at this point in a Mei Tai?

I think she prefers it to her wrap as she can look around more; she took her pacifier (which is kind of weird because she doesn't hang onto her paci if we're carrying her in our arms etc...) and was sucking on it and just checking stuff out, looking at herself in the mirror and such. Now I'm just worried about hurting her legs by spreading them either side of the carrier (I hope you know what I mean)....Should she be okay at this point, or should I wait until she's a bit bigger??

I think it should be ok, a piccie would help? I had this same issue and I know sometimes lo's legs get a wee bit red when he has been in it for hours (ok he is a big boy now 14 months) Can upou put her legs 'over' the offending straps?

My LO's legs can get a bit red but it has never rubbed her sore or left a mark that lasted long once she is out of the carrier - she has never minded that the carrier is tied round her legs.

If you Lo is still small use a bit of ribbon to make the mei tai width smaller so that their legs are not as pulled apart and that can help.

10 weeks is still a bit ickle for a mei tai, try narrowing the seat bit with a ribbon so she fits better :)

Thanks! I thought narrowing the seat would be worse as it would be putting pressure on her pelvis? I read that them having their legs spread wide, although it looks uncomfortable, is better for their pelvis? It's not leaving red marks or anything - I'm just paranoid her feet are going to fall off :rofl:

I just think she's too long to comfortably be tucked into this Mei Tai!! :wacko:

I might try it again later in a couple of different positions...I just wondered if it really was cutting off her blood supply, would she be grizzling? She seems happy enough (though I think she'll be happier when she can face outwards and see where she is!) so I think it's probably just me and DH worrying :lol:

Are peanut slings any good? I kind of wanted something I could just fling on and pop her into easily....

xx

I've been wearing my LO in his mei tai since he was about a month. I found it much more comfortable in the summer than the moby. I have just recently (last two weeks) started sticking his feet out. He's a big boy, so his knees just barely stick out. I think the ribbon idea is a good one, I've seen it done before. He's comfy, his legs are a little red, but he loves being in it. He is a long baby though (26.5 inches at 10 weeks)

Daniel is 12 weeks old and still prefers the 'froggy' position in the Mei Tai

Yes having their legs spread wide is a good thing, but if the seat of the carrier is too wide, it will rub against the back of their knees which isn't nice! They should be able to bend their legs easily.

It isn't too wide. I would say it's too narrow if anything...if it was wider it would kind of push her legs up around me more, instead of them being dangly down so much...iykwim?

I folded her legs up anyway and she really liked it. I'm surprised she fit so well. She was looking around and grinning the first time I had her in it (took her to the fair) then when we went back next day (queue was too long and she was getting grumpy, so we didn't go in the first day) she was looking around and then went to sleep. She seemed to be sitting a LOT better the second day. :)

A lot of people were staring at me...Maybe because I was bright pink :rofl: But she started grumbling a little right before we were about to leave, and I was a bit worried she was getting uncomfortable because her legs had been in the same position so long, so we took her out and she cried a little bit...same as she did the day before...so she likes being in it, but doesn't like being taken out! :lol: It's pretty handy, I'm pleased.

xx

I find I get stared at a lot when I'm wearing Charlie in his wrap. People are just so used to seeing babies in buggies they think we are weird for babywearing. I even got asked on the school run last week why I didn't use his pram :shrug: Charlie is comfortable and happy in hi9s wrap. I am comfortable and happy with him in his wrap:cloud9:. It is easier than lugging a big pram around - 'nuff said.

I find I get stared at a lot when I'm wearing Charlie in his wrap. People are just so used to seeing babies in buggies they think we are weird for babywearing. I even got asked on the school run last week why I didn't use his pram :shrug: Charlie is comfortable and happy in hi9s wrap. I am comfortable and happy with him in his wrap:cloud9:. It is easier than lugging a big pram around - 'nuff said.

I recently went to a country show and refused to push the pram around in a wet field. I was gobsmacked at the huge amount of babies being pushed in buggies that were clearly NOT 'off-roaders'.
I think I counted a very small number of babies in carriers

TOTALLY!! The fair we went to has indoor market type things which hubby and I struggled to navigate on our own last year! Let alone with a pram!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->