Membrane sweep at 38 weeks???

missy1

Reaction score
I had my 36 week appointment with midwife today. Everything is good with baby and I so I was a bit surprised when she offered me a membrane sweep at my next appointment in 2 weeks. I said I would rather let things progress naturally as my daughter was born at 39 weeks with no intervention. I wasn't offered a sweep at 38 weeks in my previous pregnancy so I wonder if this is a new thing. The baby isn't particularly big so I don't understand why they would want it born earlier. Anyone else experienced this? X

Yes, I don't think a sweep is considered intervention. If baby is ready it can put you into labor, but if not it doesn't matter how many sweeps you get... Baby comes when she is ready. I had one at 38 weeks, I will have one at 39 and 40 if baby doesn't come before that

i didnt even get offereed one with DS and i went to 40+6!!
xx

She is going against the NICE guidlines and i find that pretty concerning.

Im being considered for early sweeps and need a consultants permission to get any done before 41 weeks

Yes, I don't think a sweep is considered intervention. If baby is ready it can put you into labor, but if not it doesn't matter how many sweeps you get... Baby comes when she is ready. I had one at 38 weeks, I will have one at 39 and 40 if baby doesn't come before that
Intervention maybe isn't the right word. But it is moving things along when they might happen naturally and normally in their own time. As you say baby will come when it's ready so I don't feel comfortable about having a sweep before 40 weeks.

I hear you, but with my last 2 I had to be induced so I am willing to do as many sweeps as they offer so I don't go overdue, my body just doesn't like to start labor on its own

She is going against the NICE guidlines and i find that pretty concerning.

Im being considered for early sweeps and need a consultants permission to get any done before 41 weeks
She gave me the impression that this was normal practice.
My husband joked that maybe there are loads of women with due date end of June like me and they are going to be full to capacity so are trying to get some of us to go into labour earlier lol x

Its against national guidelines as far as im aware.

With first babies its 40 weeks and subsequent its 41

HMM my doctor said she would only do a sweep if I am at 41 weeks.

I hear you, but with my last 2 I had to be induced so I am willing to do as many sweeps as they offer so I don't go overdue, my body just doesn't like to start labor on its own

I understand, of course it makes sense for you to have sweeps to avoid being induced and I would do the same.

i agree with this comment. But it could be the different contries and such. It doesnt matter how many sweeps you get if the baby isnt ready its not going to effect anything. I had one at 40+6with dd and it helped get things started. I had one at 38+6 with ds and had him the day after. Completely healthy. But had a friend that had one at 38 39 40 and 41 weeks and nothing happend.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with getting a sweep. I completely understand the need for them but for me personally I don't understand why it would be suggested at 38 weeks when they know that my previous labour started by itself early at 39 weeks. I think the previous poster is right that there are different practises in different countries etc. I should have said I was referring to the National Health Service in the UK and I have just looked at their website and it says a sweep is only offered if you have gone overdue ie. over 40 weeks hence why I'm confused to be offered one at 38 weeks

I know they do sweep earlier in the US but i think its wrong a MW would so freely go against the rules. Would make me trust her less i think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->