Mental Health: Borderline Personality Disorder?

RedString

Reaction score
I got a call from my brother the other day; I guess he went in to get a psychiatric evaluation, because he thought he was bipolar. But it turned out he was diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder, which is partly hereditary, and partly environment-caused. So he called me to let me know so that I can get checked out too, because it can lead to other, more serious mental health problems, like depression.

So my question is, should I wait until after my son is born, and my hormones are back to normal, assuming I don't get post-postpartum depression? Or do you think it matters? Maybe I should go in beforehand, because it could put me into a predisposition for post-postpartum depression.

I suppose I'll likely talk to my doctor about it next appointment, but your input will help put my mind at ease until then. Particularly if anyone else has BPD! That would be SO helpful.

Thanks in advance, :)

Get in touch with someone before hand. I never got in touch with them as I was young when I had my 1st child and didn't know who to speak to. I didn't quite know what was going on either and was not diagnosed back then with my bipolar and also borderline schizophrenia. And so that and my PND and self harm spiraled completely out of control. (My brother and I both suffer from it and I was undiagnosed up until 6 yrs ago)

If you can then at least get in touch with a midwife or your GP or health visitor at your GP practice and let them know there is a possibility of hereditary mental health problems. That way if PND or whatever triggers something off on a lager scale they are aware that there is already an ongoing suggestion of mental health probs

:hugs::hugs:

Only just spotted this after posting above. I am bipolar and BPD , my reccomendation would be to speak to someone about it now. If nothing else you will be able to talk it through and get some professional advise.
These sort of mental health problems are more often passed down the male side of the family. My grandfather was undiagnosed but we are all convinced he was bipolar and BPD, my mother has Cyclothymia and I have Bipolar and BPD. My mothers brother had undiagnosed mental health problems and sadly he commited suicide when he was very young. I have two sisters, neither of whom have any problems. My sister has four children the oldest of which displays SOME signs of POSSIBLY having a mild personality disorder but everyone is convinced she will "grow out" of it (basically meaning she will become more self aware and adjust to it)
The risk of you having a problem arent great and the risk of it passing to your child are even less but its definately good to get your worries off your chest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->