menu

LisaM

Reaction score
hey i think i am going to start weaning at around 4 months as Ruby is no longer sleeping at night (after doing this from 8 weeks!) and now wants more milk during the day.

im just looking for some advice on a daily routine ie. what to give/how much and when? and also do i give bottle first or food first??

thanks x

I started weaning Alex at 4 months because he had a reflux problem (but was also showing all the signs of being ready for weaning).

We started him for the first week just giving him a small pot of food after his lunchtime bottle. It's best to give the food after the bottle because then you know that they're getting enough milk and then filling up on the food afterwards - otherwise they tend to fill up on food because it's more stodgy and not the get the nutrients they need from the milk.

My weaning schedule went like this:

Week One: 1 small pot of pureed carrots, sweet potato, parsnips at lunchtime
Week Two: 1 small pot of pureed apple, pear, banana at breakfast
1 small pot of pureed potato, brocolli, butternut squash at lunch
Week Three: As above but added in another meal at teatime - often more veg.

I didn't bother with baby rice as my hv said lots of babies don't like it and it's just as easy to start on the veg.

Just be careful, until they're 6 months old they shouldn't have anything with gluten in - lots of the baby food jars say they're suitable from 4 months but contain gluten. Also it's advisable to give your baby the same food for 3 days running to make sure that they're not allergic to it.

Hope this helps x

I've just started as Ben stopped sleeping through, he was waking at 3am for a bottle. He was also really niggly during the day and not at all happy. He's had a small amount of food now since Monday and has slept through for the last 2 nights.:happydance:

I started him on baby rice the first day, and he gagged and spat most of it back out!!!:dohh:

Second day he had some baby cereal with fruit in it (free sample from bounty pack) and loved it! He ate half the packet!!!!!! So he then had butternut squash puree for his tea and loved that too. So now my routine is:

6am - bottle
9am - bottle and cereal
12 noon - bottle
3pm - bottle
6pm - puree veg
8pm bottle and bed

It's worked for 2 days and he seems so much happier and loves the taste!:happydance:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->