• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Messed up now worried

sproutly2003

Reaction score
I thought salmon was ok, and had some, but then read smoked salmon wasn't ok, and that's not ok. I also had shop bought trimasu. Didn't realise this wasn't ok either. Terrified I've harmed my baby.

Did you have a small modified amount or enough to feed an army?
That is the difference honey. :)
A small amount, when you werent aware that you shouldnt of, im sure wouldnt do much harm.
Things have changed with every single one of my pregnancies (spanning 11 years) i now have to research what is bad/good etc for this one!
you will be fine, a little wont hurt honey.

You will be absolutely fine, little one will be ok.
For example, with my first, i had such a craving for pistachio nuts it was unreal! at my midwifes appointment i was sat crying on her as the book said i wasnt alllowed. She was pretty awesome woman, who asked me if anyone in my family had a nut allergy, *No*, did my partner or his family *No*, she then told me to go buy as many as i wanted! My god i was soooo happy!
I know Tuna was bad due to mercury levels, im not sure if thats the reason for salmon. But it is seriously if you eat silly amounts in one go!
Your little bean will be fine honey :)

I have had sushi, fresh tuna (fried), coffee on occasion and lots of blue chess dressing, and at my 16 week appt. Baby is fine. Great hb. Have had two scans, doctor said looked normal. A little cheats here and there seem fine.

Coffee, i limit myself to one cup a day. (allowed) its all about moderation of things. some things, obviously bad, etc.

They both sound fine to me as long as you're not eating a tonne of it and daily of course.
I still drink tea, can't stomach coffee ATM but as soon as I can ill be back to my one cup a day :)

It was literally a one off, so hopefully that will be ok

I had sushi through my pregnancy with DS. Its one of those increased risk of food poisoning things. If you get it from somewhere that is safe then you'll be fine, so supermarket, refrigerated ect. Obviously avoid if its been left out a while on a buffet or something where the bacteria can start to grow.

NHS say that smoked salmon is fine

https://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/eating...cy.aspx?CategoryID=54&SubCategoryID=216#close

Tuna/Salmon are completely fine 1/2 times a week.
Tiramisu depends on whether they used raw egg (most don't). The caffeine in it is fine, as long as you don't have 50 pieces :haha:
Nuts are also fine unless theres an allergy risk!

Don't worry too much, most foods are obvious (raw stuff) anything you worry about just take a look on the NHS website :thumbup:

Cooked salmon is fine, canned tuna 2x a week is fine. Smoked is not fine. Salmon is a great source of omega 3 especially if you are having a hard time keeping your prenatals down and it's fabulous protien.

Cooked salmon is fine, canned tuna 2x a week is fine. Smoked is not fine. Salmon is a great source of omega 3 especially if you are having a hard time keeping your prenatals down and it's fabulous protien.

Maybe the advice is different where you are but the NHS in the Uk says fine!

Where I am, smoked salmon and sushi is a no no as there is a listeria risk. Blue cheese is no no (as the blue bits in blue cheese is mould) and is also a listeria risk. In France they recommend that we eat only the hard cheeses made from pasterised milk.

Raw eggs aren't allowed so no homemade mayonnaise.

You should be a aware that for food poisoning it's not the quantity that counts, a small bite can be just as dangerous as stuffing your face.

In the UK food is quite different. Blue cheese that can be cooked & is cooked is fine.

The risk with tuna isn't listeria btw (well not here in the UK).

OP - if your from the UK I'd go for the NHS's advice, use the link popples posted :) if your from elsewhere then please take the advise from your healthcare provider :thumbup: xx

its all your own risk assessment.

I haven't adhered to any food guideline from any country.

I have enjoyed fish, sushi, rare steaks, raw eggs, soft cheeses (however I have been hard pressed to find any unpasteurized), deli meats and leftovers. Oh and no compromise on my daily intake of coffee.

The risk in the US with smoked salmon is not listeria. Salmon carries more bacteria than any other fish which is why, when used for sushi, it has to be treated in more ways than other fish. Smoked salmon is a risk b/c the smoking process does not kill all the bacteria. However, the risk is minimal. I eat smoked salmon all the time and have never gotten sick. I won't eat it during pregnancy b/c I don't want the added risk but I don't know anyone who has ever gotten sick from it.

raw egg - yeah we all know the risk with that.

Anything that is kept in a cold section in a market or store is a risk b/c of listeria. Not all are kept to the proper temperature so that is why deserts, chicken salad, tuna salad etc are risks. The food can easily spoil.

Salmon does not have a high mercury content. The risk right now is with Pacific salmon b/c of the nuclear power plant explosion in Japan. The fish does not seem to be highly contaminated but sockeye and coho have been dying in large numbers so I am not eating it right now. Atlantic salmon is healthier but, until the nuclear power plant issue, the pollution levels were much higher in the Atlantic - red tide etc.

Farm fish is okay but you need to find out what they are feeding their fish. We all need fish but pollution and farm hormones are all becoming a big issue.

Re: nuts - now "they" are saying nuts are good to eat during pregnancy b/c, by eating them, we can help prevent allergies.

The truth is all of these studies are constantly changing. Eat generation has new rules and most of them are just fads. The basics are there - heat deli meats and don't eat raw eggs or sprouts (sprouts have higher rates of salmonella than raw eggs).

Listeria is mainly benign for adults but not for foetuses. If you got it while eating you would get the symptoms of a slight cold or a slight temperature if even that. It's true that it's easily treated, but only if you recognise the symptoms as they can go very quickly. It's also true the risk of catching it is very low but it is not zero. What is worth more - the life of your baby or a smoke salmon sandwich. I don't want to be the unlucky statistic.

I'm not scaremongering but I believe that if you chose to eat something that is considered a risk, you should be fully informed what you are risking.

I can live without cheese, sushi (and I love my sushi), deli meats and even if it came down to it tea for 9 months - I don't think I could live with myself if something happened to my LO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->