Messy 13 yr old- HELP!!!!!!!

Maybe you should offer(or rather threat) to come and clean up, at least I hated it when my mum came in to my room tidy up because of all the stuff she could find :haha:
(papers from school mostly :haha:)and ask about..

Maybe you should offer(or rather threat) to come and clean up, at least I hated it when my mum came in to my room tidy up because of all the stuff she could find :haha:
(papers from school mostly :haha:)and ask about..

Already done that! lol. But actually, she likes it when I come help clean her room... haha... she's not the typical 13 yr old girl in that sense! I guess it's a matter of trial and error with each kid...

I have a new method I'm trying and so far so good... she is limited on her text msgs she can use each month (even though we have the unlimited plan- we still have parental controls on her cell)... so I made an agreement with her that if I only have to ask her to do something once (i.e. pick up a dish, or clean her room, or what have you)- instead of asking a zillion times because she keeps "forgetting" lol- then she can earn more texts each month...

She can earn up to 100 more a week (then I add them to her total at the end of each month for the next cycle)-- so far, it's been fabulous! lol. This way it's something she can earn and seems to motivate her more...

For each day she goes without being asked to do something twice, she earns a set # of text. At the end of the month, whatever she has earned get's added to her total for the next month. She has to do this each month to keep it going... plus we got her a calendar to track her progress and it's her responsibility to mark off the days she does well. so she has to come and ask us if she can mark that day off- she has times she loses track or forgets to ask us- haha- but it's worked pretty well thus far overall ;)

I guess motivation was the key with her! Hope it continues to go well... :)

WoW wish it was easy always though with teens.......well done for finding something that works for you..........i get scik to the back teeth of asking the kids (mainly the 13yr old that growls like a freaking dog everytime you ask her to do something for you) to the point where i usually end up doing it myself or not at all and then the mess spreads around the house before you know it. I was always scared of my mum if shje told me to do something i wouldnt dare say no cos i knew the shouting at i would get otherwise! Why dont they care these days??:cry::wacko:

WoW wish it was easy always though with teens.......well done for finding something that works for you..........i get scik to the back teeth of asking the kids (mainly the 13yr old that growls like a freaking dog everytime you ask her to do something for you) to the point where i usually end up doing it myself or not at all and then the mess spreads around the house before you know it. I was always scared of my mum if shje told me to do something i wouldnt dare say no cos i knew the shouting at i would get otherwise! Why dont they care these days??:cry::wacko:

That for sure would be tough hun... all kids are different and what works for one may not work for another.

I've always had to try this or that before I found what worked for her... it's certainly NOT easy being a good parent and following through with rules. It's very tough at times actually... but I've noticed if I stick with it- no matter how frustrating it may be for a bit, it does get better... and works out great in the long run.

Ah parenthood... lol. Best of luck to us all! hehe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->