Metronidazole CAuse MIscarriage??

Pregnantat31

Reaction score
I was diagnosed with bacterial vaginosis today during a checkup. I am about 12 weeks pregnant. I was prescribed the antibiotic metronidazole to treat my BV. I went home and googled info on the drug and discovered some associations between its use and miscarriage. Does anyone know for certain if metronidazole could possibly cause a miscarriage? Desperate for any clarity that can be provided.

Since you're concerned, talk to you doctor. Wish I could tell you more, but we are not really qualified to give medical advice! Good luck and a happy and healthy pregnancy to you!

Ah! I just posted about BV too. I finally caught up with the phone tag game my doctor's office and I have been playing. That's what they're prescribing me too - I'm picking it up tomorrow.
I didn't pick up the last prescription they sent out for me because it was Zofran (for nausea) and even though doc assured me that it does not causes abnormalities or defects (specifically cleft lip bc I brought it up), the FDA claims it causes cleft lip or palate...I have a coworker who took it and...guess what happened to her son's lip? ;)

I read that BV can cause early birth and low birth weight. idk. Will you respond to my post? I have lots of questions on there that maybe you could help with too.

It seems that treating BV, if pregnant, is extremely important, so I don't know what else we're supposed to do.

I just found this post from 2011 https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/miscarriage-support/825414-metronidazole-cause-miscarriage.html

Treating BV is indeed important, but after reading about miscarriage I'm too afraid to take the metronidazole and have been researching possible natural remedies, some included garlic, hydrogen peroxide, and Apple cider vinegar which I am going to try I plan on speaking at length with my doctor today to voice my concerns with her prescription..also..I am still stuck on the thing about zofran...I was diagnosed with hyperemis and literally nothing would stop the nausea And vomiting...I was admitted to the doctor with severe dehydration where they gave me a dose of zofran in liquid form. It helped with the nausea for about five blissful hours and I haven't taken anymore since...my doctor would not prescribe it due to concerns. I really pray my baby isn't at risk after only one dose of zofran.

I think BV definitely needs treating If you have it the cons of not treating it to the cons of treating jt are much higher. Speak with your doctor but I'm sure they'll say the same. I'm sure they wouldn't give you something that causes a mc xx

I think BV definitely needs treating If you have it the cons of not treating it to the cons of treating jt are much higher. Speak with your doctor but I'm sure they'll say the same. I'm sure they wouldn't give you something that causes a mc xx

I truly hope so... I don't fully trust doctors competency these days.. Seems like they are more focused on making money instead of their clients... At least that's the way it is in Mississippi.

I truly hope so... I don't fully trust doctors competency these days.. Seems like they are more focused on making money instead of their clients... At least that's the way it is in Mississippi.

There's another thread about BV on here have you read that? Have you tried getting a second opinion or a list of definitely safe drugs to treat BV in pregnancy? Just an idea. If you're really not sure definitely get an second opinion xx

There's another thread about BV on here have you read that? Have you tried getting a second opinion or a list of definitely safe drugs to treat BV in pregnancy? Just an idea. If you're really not sure definitely get an second opinion xx

I believe I have read it if we are thinking of the same one.. There were a lot of situations of miscarriage that women were relating to use of metronidazole in first trimester pregnancy. Made me a bit more afraid...:nope:

I'm not sure if it's the same one sorry, I think it's called 'ugh, anyone want to talk about bacterial vaginosis?'

It is definitely worrying if it can cause mc I think you should do your research on the best treatment xx

The other thread about BV is my thread. I posted the same day though and didn't see this one until afterward and recognized the name of the medication the nurse mentioned on the phone. In my earlier response on this thread, I linked to another thread on here that was about the miscarriages, that might be the one the OP read but not the one that I posted called "ugh does anyone want to talk about bv" they're two different ones.

I am taking mine. I figure...I'm 11 weeks, almost out of the first trimester. I think it will be okay. I haven't been able to find ENOUGH stories about it, especially that could link it directly back to the metronidazole.

As far as the Zofran goes, I think you're fine with one dose. I think my coworker took hers every day for a while. The metronidazole can cause nausea too so if you get it, make sure to eat food with it, that's what the pharmacist told me.

Mamaloco, please tell us how you do with the medication side effect wise! Good luck!

That drug is very very strong and usually used to treat tooth anseses I couldn't stomach it was violrnty sick with it :-(

I am going to take mine as well, I believe I'm out of my first trimester now so I am going to go ahead and take mine as well.. Keep me posted on how your medication works for you MamaLOco.

I took both a.m. and p.m. doses yesterday and no nausea. I'm just waiting to eat before I take my a.m. dose today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->