Microwave

XKatX

Reaction score
My twin sister is giving me tonnes of stuff from her baby she had 2 years ago. Amongst the stuff is a bottle steriliser for use with the microwave.
I seem to have a mental block about using the microwave too much for baby things. What do you think? Could it be dangerous or am I being too overprotective already?!!

...what? why wouldn't you use a microwave?

My OH has the same view...i know what you mean. Dont think there is any reason for it but if you arent a big microwave user generally its hard toget your head round.

We used a microwave steriliser and we found it really good as it was much quicker than our electric steriliser. We are going to get one this time round (i gave all my baby stuff away!:dohh:)

I think it is more dangerous to use the microwave for heating milk rather than sterilising.

...what? why wouldn't you use a microwave?

There used to be a lot of hoo haa about microwaves being dangerous to the body. Be it standing too close to one a lot, or the microwaves in the food after heating. I have never really taken much notice of it myself, but now I seem to be worrying about if it is adverse to small babies. It was just a thought.

I use a microwave sterilizer and it's great. Personally I wouldn't be worried.

We used a microwave steriliser and we found it really good as it was much quicker than our electric steriliser. We are going to get one this time round (i gave all my baby stuff away!:dohh:)

I think it is more dangerous to use the microwave for heating milk rather than sterilising.

Oh yes I have heard that you shouldn't heat milk up in the micro for babies b/c there is a 'hot spot' in the middle where the milk is a lot hotter than the rest.. apparently.

Nothing wrong with a microwave steriliser. It steams the bottles. Excellent for sterilising them.

As for using a microwave for heating milk or food they dont recommend it because it forms "hot spots" Which can simply be solved by stirring or mixing the milk/food and testing it before giving it to baby.

I don't know why they have a problem with "hot spots" all it takes is a stir. Not too much hassle. I'd much rather use a microwave to heat up a bottle of milk at 3 in the morning than stand around for 45 minutes waiting for the stove top to warm up. (our stove is old :( )

Nothing wrong with a microwave steriliser. It steams the bottles. Excellent for sterilising them.

As for using a microwave for heating milk or food they dont recommend it because it forms "hot spots" Which can simply be solved by stirring or mixing the milk/food and testing it before giving it to baby.

I don't know why they have a problem with "hot spots" all it takes is a stir. Not too much hassle. I'd much rather use a microwave to heat up a bottle of milk at 3 in the morning than stand around for 45 minutes waiting for the stove top to warm up. (our stove is old :( )

We would do exactly what you'd do with bottles. We never had a problem.

i agree. the steriliser isnt the problem it's certain bottles. thats what I read.

I chose a microwave steriliser because its smaller and faster than an electric, can be trasnported easily to family and friends and can also be used as a cold water steriliser if needed. Also, if the lid is kept on tight it actually keeps things sterile for longer than the electric ones. (I read about the Avent ones - though i dont want to use avent bottles a lot as these are some of the dodgy ones)

i agree. the steriliser isnt the problem it's certain bottles. thats what I read.

(I read about the Avent ones - though i dont want to use avent bottles a lot as these are some of the dodgy ones)

This had me interested. What's the problem with them? I always thought they were one of the better brands. (I've been buying a couple of them)

This had me interested. What's the problem with them? I always thought they were one of the better brands. (I've been buying a couple of them)

Any clear bottles are troublesome - I even read about it on the mothercare wensite.
it's the chemical they use to make the bottles clear. If the bottle is damaged or scratched the chemical could leach into the milk when heated.
:

https://www.environmentcalifornia.o...vironmental-health-reports/toxic-baby-bottles

I've decided to go for medela bottles - pricey but 100% safe so I read.

Ok. That's interesting. Thanks for the link :shock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->