Middle name troubles!

krisum

Reaction score
Well actually just name trouble in general.

Both me and my hubby were convinced we were going to be having a boy. His dad is terminally ill and we wanted to honor him by using his name as the child's middle name. Both my hubby and his dad's names are Richard Nels. His dad goes by Nels so we were going to use this as the ,duffle name.

Turns out we are having a girl! We both still want to use Nels in some form in her middle name but don't want it to be too masculine sounding. I had the Ida to hyphenate to Nels-Marie. My DH doesn't like Marie but is ok with hyphenatng to make it more feminine.

We also haven't decided on a first name which doesn't help. We both like boy names for girls... Our short list

Campbell
Devyn
Morgan

Any ideas of how to fit the middle name Nels with any of these names?? Or other not so girly names to use with Nels hyphenated with something else. Lynn was my other choice. My top name right now is devyn but devyn nels-Lynn is too many yn's :( last name is asplund.

Nels sounds like a girls' name to me anyway! :shrug: It doesn't strike me as masculine at all. My great grandma's best friend was called Nel (short for Nelly - another option!)

I wouldn't hyphenate a middle name. I think it's too much of a mouthful, but that's just me.

I don't think it really flows with any of your name choices either. You could combine your three faves though!
Devlyn Nels would be really cute!

My friend is named Antonella - and she gets called "Nel" as a nickname.

Maybe Devyn Antonella? Or I think Devyn Nels works too. I agree with the above poster... Nels doesn't sound masculine to me.

Maybe a name that sounds similar to Richard Nels - Like Rachel Nelly?

What about something that ends with "nel" or "nelle"?

Devyn Janel or Devyn Janelle?

My cousin Janelle has gone by Nel for as long as I can remember.

LOVE the PPs suggestion of Janelle!!

I wouldn't hyphenate Nels at to me it just looks odd and doesn't flow with anything really. Sorry just my opinion. I see Nels itself as masculine but like the idea of adding it to a name like Janelle and it is clearly feminine. Even just Nelsa makes it feminine

Ooh, Nelsa is pretty. It's like Nels + Elsa.

Nels sounds feminine to me. What about using Nelly?
Or using a more feminine name and hyohenating it with nels
E.g. Olivia-Nels

However I would just put nels as a first middle name and give a second middle name too without the hyphen. Like my daughter's names. ((In signature))

As it's after somebody I'd prob just use Nels, it sounds quite feminine to me and I think the sentiment is lovely. I'm sure when she grew up she'd be proud to know she was named after her grandad :)

As another thought, does you father in law have a fave flower? Maybe you could hyphen it with that to give it more meaning, Nels-Rose, Nel-Iris, Nels- Lily etc

maybe Instead of devyn Nells

you could use Devon Lyn Nells .. a bit different but not really

I think we have decided on Nella for the middle name :) DH's mom came up with this suggestion when we mentioned our idea of using his name in the middle name. Also makes her feel special since we used her idea. Win win for that.

Now to decide for sure on te first name! Devyn is still #1 but Campbell is a close second for me as it's the name I've wanted for the last couple of years, DH just isn't as keen on that name. Lots of time left to decide and I'm sure we will add names to the list as time goes by!

since you asked for opinions:

Devyn and campbell are both very masculine names

Morgan is now used for girls but I still think masculine for that too as I only know boys called Morgan (I also think captain Morgan)

you seem to like the modern unisex surname names so what about Bailey?

Bailey Nella is sweet

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"