Midwife is so negative and rude about by natural birth plan wishes!!

Her attitude seems quite negative, but it could just be because she's seen a lot of mothers promise themselves a natural birth and then get quite upset when it doesnt happen.

I had a similar experience with a nurse who was attending the birth of my first child. Throughout the whole pregnancy, i was convinced i wanted a completely natural childbirth and even changed from a doctor to a midwife practice (i was in the usa) when i was 7 months gone.

But, like all best-laid plans, there were a lot of things that happened (3 days of produrmal labor that EXHAUSTED and scared me, waters breaking early and i was group b strep +. When we got to hospital and saw i was only 2 cm after all that, i made the decision to start pitocin to speed things up (instead of getting sent home for the third day in a row). I was 41+5, and i knew that the longer the waters were broken, the higher the chance baby would get infected.

So, there i was, stuck in bed with a pitocin drip in one arm, and antibiotics in another, suffering through awful contractions, and having not slept in over 2 days. The nurse came in and started pressuring me to get an epidural. She certainly wasnt sensitive and started saying things like 'its already not a natural birth if youre getting induced' and 'dont be foolish, the first baby rarely works out natural, wait and try for your second or third'.

I refused for a few hours (pitocin contractions are awful) until we started hearing a woman screaming like crazy in the next room for almost 30 min straight. When the nurse came in, my husband asked her if she was giving birth, and the nurse said 'no, she just got here and is 7 cm dialated, she wants an epidural, but its too late now' and left the room. After listening to her scream for a few more minutes (while tolerating my own awful contractions) i looked at my husband, rang for the nurse, and threw out the last piece of my birth plan. Within 5 minutes, i had the epidural, and took a 4 hour nap. When i woke up, i was 9 cm, and an hour later i started pushing. The pushing was so difficult i vomited twice, and im certain that if i hadnt rested before, i would have been too exhausted to push and could have ended up with a c-section.

I was disappointed in myself for weeks afterward until i realized that i just needed to be more flexible in my expectations. My second son came much easier with much fewer interventions, and if possible im hoping to have my daughter naturally. But if it doesnt happen, it shouldnt make the moment less joyous or special.

Good luck and sorry to ramble!

I have not read the replies but I'm sorry you have a midwife who feels she needs to make the choice for you. I am guessing this silly women Won't be there at the birth so I would write your own birthplan and tell them at the hospital when your in labour. they will decide on the day if you are not safe in the pool and you can choose on the day what pain relief you want

I have a midwife that says my wee is dark and gross. Tells me my baby girl sounds like a boys heart beat and told me she's measuring 81b plus at my 32 week appointment. My other midwife is lovely but is pushy with breastfeeding. I have chose to bottle feed and so far no midwife has offered me support on this.

I no it is infuriating but its your choice so let it go over your head or request to change. She should keep her opinions to herself. Loads of girls do it without an epidural. Loads of girls have pool births. Loads of girls have had home births with nothing but gas and air. How any midwife thinks they can predict your labour is beyond me xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->