Midwife Led Maternity Unit- Advice needed FTM

jadesarah

Reaction score
9 weeks to go and im stressing :-(

My two nearest hospitals are Heartlands in birmingham and Solihull hospital. I went to view heartlands the other day and was looking at their Willow suite which is midwife led, as i really want a water birth, but i just really dont like heartlands hospital. Solihull hospital is now a midwife led maternity unit and i am really now thinking to have my baby here.
Has anyone had any experiances of a midwife led unit either at Solihull or else where and can give me some advice and support?

I like the idea that its more relaxing on there and ive also heard that my partner can stop with me all the time even after the birth so thats really made me think about having her here.
Also anyone who has has a waterbirth, honestly did it help the pain?

Thanks to everyone in advance

I had DS2 at my local midwife led unit and I loved it and would recommend using a midwife led unit to anyone (obviously only if your low risk)! It was so relaxed and at one point I had 3 midwifes looking after me!

I also had a water birth and I thought it was amazing the water is really soothing and you feel weightless and can get into any position you feel comfy in! I had him in the water and didn't tear or graze etc so that was a real bonus as well! I then also delivered the placenta naturally in the pool afterwards we didn't clamp/cut the cord until it had stopped pulsing and then once we had I cuddled baby for a bit longer in the water and then the contractions started coming on strong for the delivery of the placenta so hubby cuddled DS2 and it came out really easily after about 1 and a half pushes! :thumbup:

Hi
You aren't too far from me! I had ds at russels hall hospital in Dudley but this time I am planning on a midwife led unit. I have had to transfer care to birmingham city so I can use serenity or my preffered choice halcyon. I obviously haven't used the centre yet but it looks fantastic and I have the knowledge that my first labour etc ran fairly smoothly. My sister in law is looking at the same but with this being her first she is a bit more wary, understandably. Best of luck whatever you chose x

Hi I'm in exactally the same predicament as u, I live in the north east, have Hartlepool maternity led unit on my doorstep or north tees ( which ive had a bad experience in) a 15 min drive away. I too would like a water birth or at least use the water for a while, the only thing that scares me is the thought of needing to be rushed in an ambulance ( with a midwife) to north tees, the thought of that happening would prob makes me worry. On the other hand I am already apprehensive about going to north tees after having rotton care there for an operation last year. My midwife suggested I look around both at around 34 weeks, I'll be 30 weeks on Sunday and was hoping to view the hospitals sooner than waiting another month. Might ring them tomorrow and ask how soon I could view both x

I phoned the midwife led suite today an the lady was lovely said i could go look around whenever i wanted an then could make a decision on what i felt would be more suitable. Im now leaning more towards having it at solihull but still think i need to go around an have a proper look at it.
X

I've just had my baby in a midwife led birth centre and it was the best choice I made.
They were amazing and my birth went smoothly without any distress.
My husband was able to stay with me and I could have as many visitors as I wanted and when I wanted.
I hadn't own room with a birthing pool.
I gave birth in the morning and was told I could go home whenever I wanted after my 6hrs. I decided to stay the night incase I needed help with breast feeding, and I was given a new room which had a double bed in so hubby could sleep too.

It was brilliant there

Yes think im definatly swaying towards a midwife led unit now :)

Im just hoping the gas and air is enough pain relief lol x

All I had was gas and air and I mansged. You can also have pethadine .
Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->