Midwife vs. OB - Musings and Thoughts :)

Ouverture

Reaction score
I'm sorry this is so long - please go easy on me! :flower: I wrote this out not only for myself, but also for anybody who is on the fence about making the decision to choose a midwife or even a natural delivery over traditional obstetrics and hospital birth. I'm a writer and got carried away! :blush:

This is especially geared to my fellow U.S. moms, who have been taught from a young age that simply put: you deliver your baby on your back, in a hospital, no questions asked.

I hope this info helps others in the U.S. who really aren't sure where to turn. I was at a crossroads just two weeks ago, and one appointment with the midwife was all it took for me.

I figured a journal like this is best suited for this forum, where people are seeking advice regarding natural birth. I'm not trying to be an attention whore, just want to share what I've learned :flower:

I am a first time mom in the U.S. My first 3 prenatal appointments were with an obstetrician who does deliveries at a hospital.

On Monday, I attended my 12 week visit with the midwives, who operate a birth center with three very homey rooms, each containing a tub, yoga rope (from the ceiling), birth stools, and herbs.

I'm choosing the midwives, and this is my journal on why. . . :coffee:

I started out having my first 3 appointments in Obstetrics care. The office itself is wonderful - and in my opinion a diamond in the rough when it comes to having prenatal care and delivery done in a traditional setting. The Dr. herself was phenomenal.

However, it really bothered me that until the 3rd appointment, I did not meet the doctor. . .only nurses who could not answer my questions and simply had a laundry list of 'do this, not that' directions that I've read in every book. The model of care in such a setting is 'we're here to look for problems'. The fact that I had three appointments before hitting the 12 week mark, and over $3000 in fees billed to our insurance company (depsite having what they finally diagnosed as a normal, boring, healthy pregnancy), tells me that is at least partially true.

It was insanely frustrating to me that they would run test after test, push vaccinations and procedures on me, already had the chat about inducing at week 40, etc.

They have a file of medical information on me bigger than my collection of paperwork for 2010 taxes, and yet, unless there is a 'problem', none of it is my business. They were unwilling and unable to share information with me - including my blood counts, blood presure, the results of an ultrasound where they looked at my overies, uterus, etc. in depth.

My medical history, well-being, and results were not for my eyes, and they made that pretty clear; I only needed to worry if there was a 'problem'. I was not allowed to ask even general health questions (I'm inquisitive) like 'please show me what my fibroid looks like ' (on the ultrasound as they were looking at it). They responded with 'it doesn't matter, it's normal and not a big deal. . .'

When they required me to get a Rhogam shot, there were no doctors on staff at the time and the nurses could again, not answer my questions. They were flustered that I even was asking questions, and not just doing as I was told.

The visits are short, and while the staff is friendly they are running a well-oiled machine; pee in a cup, stand on the scale, blood pressure cuff, poke you with a needle (AGAIN), sit in a room, wait for a nurse who can't answer your questions but will scold you for losing a 3 pounds (uhh, first tri morning sickness) and not getting the flu vaccine (again), schedule the next appointment.

On Monday, I made the official switch to the midwives at our States only birth center. . .and the level of care, and personal attention, and information is eons, lightyears away from my experience in obstetrics.

First off. . .they see childbirth as a normal, healthy process. Not something that is 'treated'. . .but rather something that they encourage and support you through, helping you make the right decisions to having the most healthy pregnancy you can possibly have. They support you and educate you in both medical and non-medical ways - instead of sending you on your way and waiting for a problem. . .the key with the midwives is 'PREVENTION'. Very different.

The office is much like a doctors office, with a waiting room and staff and those ridiculous bed things with the stirrups you see in any OB office. . .BUT. . .the walls are painted, there are books everywhere, music playing, and boards FULL of beautiful birth announcements from their clients. It's warm and friendly.

They taught me how to use the scale - so I weigh myself and tell them (they don't weigh you).

At the first appointment, I saw both a nurse AND one of the centers five midwives, whom I will meet each one. They were friendly, open, and SAT in the room with us for nearly an hour, answering questions, getting to know us. Every appointment after that is at least 30 minutes. They listen to the heartbeat at every appointment, measure the fundus, etc. just like an OB. They gave me a HUGE packet. In that packet:

An Essay Questionaire. Both hubby and I have to fill this out before the next appointment; they want to know what our thoughts really are on parenting, our relationship, childbirth, the pregnancy. I think this is a beautiful thing - they are not only getting to know us, but in a sneaky way, giving us the excuse and reason to sit down together and be on the same page. This level of commitment to you personally, and your relationship is NOT found in traditional obstetrics.

Nutrition information. We're not talking 'don't eat hot dogs', we're talking 'here is what we know about having a healthy pregnancy. You should get this much protein (and here is how to get it), this much calcium (milk, yogurt, etc.), etc.

Food Tracker. I have to write down my food intake for at least a week before my next appointment (again, they focus on prevention, not problems). They even gave me a sample menu, and WOW. .. it looks yummy. 3 meals, 3 snacks, 2600 calories (WOWZA. . .that's a lot). The whole idea is to stuff you so full of yummy goodies that are healthy for you and baby (eggs, protein, fruit, veggies, yogurt, cereal, etc.) that you have no desire, or room, to scarf down an entire box of brownies.

They are showing you how to keep your blood sugar in check, how to keep your energy levels up, and what to eat so that you and baby both feel good and have an easy, safe delivery with a lower risk of excessive weight gain, gestational diabetes, and even GBS (they encourage probiotics).

They practically require 3-5 liters of liquid, mostly water, daily. I do believe that more women would have healthy, easy pregnancies if they followed this rule - it seems like a lot until you get used to it. A liter of that might be raspberry leaf tea, half a liter of skim milk, some juice, and the rest water. They don't frown on the occasional latte or ice cream :)

Unbiased information (pros/cons) of things like the Heb B shot given at birth, as well as Vitamin K shot and Enthromycin ointment for the babies eyes. All these things they do at the hospital without giving you the valuable information YOU as a parent should have to make those decisions - the midwives give you the information point blank and let YOU decide. None of these are 'standard' proceedures at the birth center; they inform you and then ask for your consent before administering them. In the hospital, we'd have to fend the nurses off with a stick, and defend our position - in the birth center, they respect our decision, no questions asked.

The midwives have a library of books you can check out. They WANT you to be educated. They WANT you to ask questions (even dumb ones, like, 'at 12 weeks, how much amniotic fluid surrounds the baby?).

They offer classes, one of which is 'healthy pregnancy'. . .which I will take in two weeks. It's free, and it's two hours where you get to chat with other first trimester/early second tri moms and the midwives about being healthy, being pregnant, etc.

At 12 weeks pregnant, they are already talking to us about the delivery - that discussion is not saved for the third trimester, but rather becomes an integral part. . .the whole reason for the care we are receiving. One thing we tend to forget is that the process of a natural birth, or any birth, starts early in pregnancy. It's not something to be saved for discussion in the third trimester.

When you do your glucose screening, they give you juice. Not that orange glucose concoction that mimics absolutely nothing about a normal diet and makes the pharmaceutical company a boatload of cash; just juice.

When delivery day comes, you labor at home until you are in active labor - much later than if you were to be in a hospital setting. By the time you go to the birth center, you're usually 5-6 cm dialated - so the early parts of labor are spent at home, with YOUR stuff, in your tub or shower, on your bed, walking in your neighborhood. (They do teach your DH how to deliver the baby, just in case :thumbup:)

One you arrive, they may or may not check your cervix - but you are allowed to do whatever you want. No monitors, no IV's (unless you are GBS+). You can sit, squat, walk, EAT, drink water, drink tea, and sit in the tub.

They don't do pitocin. They don't do episiotomies. They don't do epidurals. They don't do vacuums or forceps, and because of their emphasis on birth positions, maternal health, and eating/drinking during labor, they don't ever need too. They don't require you to be hooked up on monitors, or to deliver splayed out on your back with your whoo-ha in the midwifes face. Their c-section rate is less than 6% (compare that to the national U.S. hospital average of 38%, or just over 1 in 3).

When the baby comes out, they DON'T pull on the head (unless the rare circumstance requires it) as the shoulders are being born (this is a pretty standard hospital practice, and can seriously injure your newborn if done incorrectly) - if you are in a good position, there is no need to do that. As soon as the baby is out, it goes on your chest. . .no rushing around, no taking the baby, no cutting the cord right away. After the placenta is delivered and the cord is cut and you are all cleaned up and relaxing on the bed, they will do the newborn exam on the bed with you there. . .they NEVER take the baby out of your sight unless again, rare occasion there is a problem. Very different, again, from being brought into the world in a hospital setting.

The average stay? 9 hours from the time you arrive. Most deliveries happen within 4-5 hours, you stay and relax for 4 hours, and then you go home. You, DH, and baby. Back home, with YOUR things, your smells, your bathroom, your bed. . .spending those crucial first days bonding at home, not in the hospital. I think this is a beautiful thing.

So there you have it ladies - this is my honest account of my experience. In the OB care, I was scared of the delivery - scared of the hospital and interventions and of my labor stalling because I was in an uncomfortable place.

Now that I'm with the midwives and the birth center, and they are helping me and teaching me how to have a healthy, happy pregnancy, and a healthy delivery, I'm actually EXCITED about the delivery. I'm confident and unafraid. . .and in my opinion, that feeling comes largely from the type of care I'm receiving. . .even if you are terrified of childbirth, you might find that the right support and care is all it takes to help you build your confidence.

All that said - there is always the chance that something goes horribly, legitimately wrong. The decision for me comes from the fact that if I'm going to have an intervention, I don't want it as a result of another intervention, but rather because I landed in that small percentage of people who have a genuine problem in delivery. Anything can happen of course - and I believe that you can be both open to that, and still be very open and willing to deliver your baby naturally and without complications.

Educate yourself ladies! ASK questions! Be involved, and do what is best for YOU. This is about YOU and YOUR baby - you are NOT a statistic, you won't follow a graph or chart, you ARE special.

:flower::flower::flower::flower::flower:

Thanks so much for posting this. I just had my first prenatal appointment (this pregnancy) with an OBGYN and am very discouraged. In response to questions I asked about different birthing positions and pain management, he told me that 99% of all babies are delivered with mom on her back and feet in stirrups. He went on to say that an epidural would be the best thing for me, and that most women did it. I'm trying to have a natural birth after two in the hospital with pain meds, pitocin, and the like.

I won't turn this into a hospital horror story, I just wanted to say thanks. I am going to drop the OBGYN, drive the extra 20 miles, and see a midwife instead.

I can't believe the Dr is telling you from day dot that you are going to be on your back, in stirrups and with an epi. I would love to ask him if research supports this as best practice??? I would love to ask him what the benefits were to mum and bubs by birthing this way. I would also love specifically to ask him what effect on labour epis have and the rates of subsequent interventions??

My midwife told me that my chances of having an assisted birth (ventous and forceps) increased by 80% if I took an epidural!

Oh he was terrible. The OB also mentioned that an all fours or side lying position would be very uncomfortable for the nurses, and to consider them. I don't know how I kept my cool through that meeting.

Although I have had few complications from the medical interventions in the past, I know what is healthier for me and baby. Interventions add unnecessary variables as you all know.

Downtown Houston has a very nice medical center, and a midwife practice within St Luke's Hospital. It's not as close as home... I wanted a home water birth, but am having trouble finding support from our family and friends. With a midwife in a hospital, it would be a compromise at least.

I am happy to have found this forum and other resources online. Hopefully I can educate my family and show them that I am making the best choice for our son. Thanks for the support, everyone.

Thanks for sharing all that!! :)
I'm still TTC right now but have been trying to decide whether to leave my OB and go with a midwife for baby #2. I've pretty much made up my mind to do so but the reason I hesitated a little was because I had a great pregnancy/labour/delivery with my son (with a doctor) and it all went very smoothly. After doing some research and looking back though, I realize that there are several things that I DO want to change!

a) I want to be able to contact my midwife whenever I might need to. With my doctor, 5pm is the cutoff and then I would have to call the hospital and talk to a bunch of strangers.

b) Even though both doctors and midwives take vacations, etc, at least with a midwife, you usually know all of them at the centre. When my doctor was away, I had to meet new doctors at the start of my appointment and that was always kind of bothersome, especially if I had some very personal questions.

c) While I was in labour, there was a shift change at the hospital so the nurses were coming and going and since the doctor doesn't come until literally the very end, my DH was the only constant face in my room. (Which was great but let's face it, he didn't know all the right things to say/do!! haha) I know that with midwives, as soon as you're there and in active labour, they stay with you. :)

These are my main reasons for wanting to switch. Even though I had a great experience with my son, it was my first pregnancy and I didn't know enough to go out and get exactly what I now know I want. :D

Love the thread you have started. Is a great read!!

I’m struggling to understand why you can’t see your results (perhaps they are fearful of litigation? But it’s still YOUR data!)
Also $3,000 for just your initial appointments is a huge sum of money.. And I’m of the opinion all the testing and shots (what on earth are these injections for???!?!) is about generating revenue, rather than protecting your health; In the UK you could hire an independent MW for £3,000 - including all your anti-natal appointments, birth, and post-natal care.
The US spends the most amount of money per birth in the whole of the world - but it has some of the poorest maternal and fetal mortality rates in the “developed world” - how can that be right?? It certainly isn’t money well spent!
I started a thread on this a long while ago - as I just find it staggering, what women in the US are subject to (and there are worrying signs that the UK is following suit at times!) We all should be fighting for our midwives!!

“One thing we tend to forget is that the process of a natural birth, or any birth, starts early in pregnancy. It's not something to be saved for discussion in the third trimester.”
Absolutely!!!

Have you read "pushing for midwives" by Craven
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pushing-Midwives-Homebirth-Reproductive-Movement/dp/1439902208
I think you would find it a very interesting read - I have only just finished reading it.. there is lots of food for thought there!

XxX

Oh he was terrible. The OB also mentioned that an all fours or side lying position would be very uncomfortable for the nurses, and to consider them. I don't know how I kept my cool through that meeting.

:shock:

Shmeh - I can't BELIEVE that! No, wait, I can. Nevermind. :( That is REALLY sad. . .how many women hear that nonsense from him and just think 'well, this is how it is supposed to be, just like in the movies and on all the childbirth reality shows. . .' and don't further educate themselves? Meanwhile, he's making boatloads of cash off of all those extra interventions, and making your recovery so much harder. I'm so so sorry you had that experience, you are a strong and smart woman not to put up with it!

nov_mum - I believe that about the epidurals. Some people get them with no complications, sure, but an 'increased risk' is enough to keep me away! Plus, I can't get over how you're really just delaying the inevitable - with an epi, your recovery is most likely going to be much more difficult than if you just 'got it over with'.

lucy_lu10 - Good luck TTC! :) :) :) Those are fabulous reasons to make the switch. Of all the women I've ever talked too about this, whom had both a hospital delivery and a natural midwife attended one, not a SINGLE one would choose the hospital delivery over the natural one. That speaks volumes to me!

Love the thread you have started. Is a great read!!

I’m struggling to understand why you can’t see your results (perhaps they are fearful of litigation? But it’s still YOUR data!)
Also $3,000 for just your initial appointments is a huge sum of money.. And I’m of the opinion all the testing and shots (what on earth are these injections for???!?!) is about generating revenue, rather than protecting your health; In the UK you could hire an independent MW for £3,000 - including all your anti-natal appointments, birth, and post-natal care.
The US spends the most amount of money per birth in the whole of the world - but it has some of the poorest maternal and fetal mortality rates in the “developed world” - how can that be right?? It certainly isn’t money well spent!
I started a thread on this a long while ago - as I just find it staggering, what women in the US are subject to (and there are worrying signs that the UK is following suit at times!) We all should be fighting for our midwives!!

“One thing we tend to forget is that the process of a natural birth, or any birth, starts early in pregnancy. It's not something to be saved for discussion in the third trimester.”
Absolutely!!!

Have you read "pushing for midwives" by Craven
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pushing-Midwives-Homebirth-Reproductive-Movement/dp/1439902208
I think you would find it a very interesting read - I have only just finished reading it.. there is lots of food for thought there!

XxX

Thanks Bournefree :) I appreciate your support! Felt kind of nakid putting this out there yesterday!

I think the reason they won't share my medical info with me (unless there is a problem) is that for one, most people don't ask (so I'm already 'out of the norm' by asking) and for two, it's a waste of their time. They are running a machine, get in, get out. . .and they don't want to spend hours with somebody who simply is curious. Plus, in the U.S. things are pretty bad as far as malpractice and HIPPA, so they are getting really really touchy about what they tell you. What a mess.

$3000 blew me away too - all I could think was 'good grief, they are making bank on me. . .'. So of course their motivation will lie in testing and vaccinating me as much as possible! They were going to require the Rhogam shot for me two more times, even though my husband is RH-neg, and even if the baby turns up negative (which he/she will, genetics like this are foolproof)! But WHY? When I asked the doctor shrugged and said 'it's standard procedure'. All I could think was 'and how much money are you making off of that 'standard' procedure?'

The midwives gave us a sheet, outlying a no-complications (right) hospital delivery vs. the no-complications birth center/natural birth. The hospital fees were upwards of $13,000-$14,000 for NO complications, and that figure does NOT include your prenatal care. For the birth center, all prenatal care and the delivery start to finish, out of pocket is just under $4000. If that doesn't get people thinking, I don't know what will. Pair that $14,000 figure with an risk of getting a cesarean topping at 1 in 3, (a $20,000 procedure), and it's hard to wonder why it's such big business around here. I really hope the U.K. makes and about face and doesn't follow our footsteps any farther. . .

Thanks for that link too - I'll DEFINITELY pick up that book! I love a good read :)

Thanks for posting your experience! It's interesting to learn more about what you US ladies are up against, and just how expensive they can try to make it there!

I watched 16 and Pregnant recently (MTV show with teenagers from the US) and was mortified for this poor young girl and her completely medicalised delivery. Her mother didn't seem that supportive of anything natural (discouraged her from breastfeeding etc.) and at the first sign of labour becoming painful - right, here's an epidural. Felt so sorry for her. It's one thing if it's a choice, an informed choice, but it was like her OB was just deciding for her and doing it. He'll get a fat cheque for that later. This was a fit and healthy young girl who could have done without anaesthesia, but wasn't given an option! I'm getting annoyed remembering it. I mean, the room where she gave birth was lovely, huge and quite homely, but all the equipment, for one healthy baby from one normal pregnancy? Not for me, thanks.

Can't believe about having three appointments before 12 weeks either, 12 weeks was my first with the midwife, only having seen my family doctor briefly to be referred to the midwife. He gave me all nutrition info, dos and don'ts, contact numbers then. If there's no problem, there's no need to keep seeing doctors!

Thanks for posting your experience! It's interesting to learn more about what you US ladies are up against, and just how expensive they can try to make it there!

I watched 16 and Pregnant recently (MTV show with teenagers from the US) and was mortified for this poor young girl and her completely medicalised delivery. Her mother didn't seem that supportive of anything natural (discouraged her from breastfeeding etc.) and at the first sign of labour becoming painful - right, here's an epidural. Felt so sorry for her. It's one thing if it's a choice, an informed choice, but it was like her OB was just deciding for her and doing it. He'll get a fat cheque for that later. This was a fit and healthy young girl who could have done without anaesthesia, but wasn't given an option! I'm getting annoyed remembering it. I mean, the room where she gave birth was lovely, huge and quite homely, but all the equipment, for one healthy baby from one normal pregnancy? Not for me, thanks.

Can't believe about having three appointments before 12 weeks either, 12 weeks was my first with the midwife, only having seen my family doctor briefly to be referred to the midwife. He gave me all nutrition info, dos and don'ts, contact numbers then. If there's no problem, there's no need to keep seeing doctors!

That makes me sad - that show 16 and pregnant is fascinating! I've seen several episodes and every single one is a very medical delivery - part of the problem I believe is that as a teenager, you're still very much in the grips of your parents, still in shock that they are pregnant, and the actual delivery, and doing it natural, takes a back burner.

3 appointments before 12 weeks was nuts. I agree :) I'm now 12weeks+ and won't see the midwives for another month! Makes way more sense.

Hi ouveture - where in the US are you? I'm in PA. This is my third pregnancy, second with a midwife. I nearly cried reading your post, being with a midwife is being part of their family I believe. You're not just a number like you are with many OBGYNs.

In my area now midwives have been banned from all hospitals, due to possible malpractice issues supposedly and not supporting the hospitals mission statements or some nonsense.

After reading so many posts from other people, I'm wishing I lived somewhere different!

Hi ouveture - where in the US are you? I'm in PA. This is my third pregnancy, second with a midwife. I nearly cried reading your post, being with a midwife is being part of their family I believe. You're not just a number like you are with many OBGYNs.

In my area now midwives have been banned from all hospitals, due to possible malpractice issues supposedly and not supporting the hospitals mission statements or some nonsense.

After reading so many posts from other people, I'm wishing I lived somewhere different!

I'm in Colorado - we only have this one birth center in the entire state and I seriously feel blessed that they had an opening for me and that I live just 30 minutes away.

I can believe that about the midwives being 'banned', I'm hearing that a LOT. As the doctors see the midwives trying harder and harder to stop interventions, and also the doctors being worried about malpractice lawsuits, it doesn't surprise me. If women were smart though, they would refuse to have a hospital delivery without a midwife present! Especially here in the U.S. where medical birth is the norm, it's up to the mamas to take back control. . .

Oh Colorado! My hubby's favorite place on the planet!

I am so excited for you to be going to the birth center! We have one that's an hour and a half away from me. I do NOT want to be in a car that long while in labor! The 20 minutes driving to the hospital the last two pregnancies was way more than enough for me!

Oh Colorado! My hubby's favorite place on the planet!

I am so excited for you to be going to the birth center! We have one that's an hour and a half away from me. I do NOT want to be in a car that long while in labor! The 20 minutes driving to the hospital the last two pregnancies was way more than enough for me!

Yeah. . .that would be a long car ride! ! ! ! I know that for this one birth center in Colorado, some moms drive all the way from Wyoming! :haha:

The birth center, if you are more than an hour away, requires you to get a hotel as soon as you think delivery day is coming though :) Although, TBH, I think I'd just go for a home birth if that were the case!

WOW! That's a long ride coming in from WY!

I'm definitely pushing for a homebirth this time. I adore my midwife and honestly, there was no reason with my last two I couldn't have had a homebirth. Labors were both short, under 7 hours total, no tears, no meds. Hubby however, thinks I HAVE to be in a hospital. I wish I knew how to change his mind.

Wow, thanks for that great article you wrote! Very informed and accurate! You should try submitting it to some magazines... although.. I suppose the US is simply too anti-natural-birth to even accept this in a magazine. :-(

Your birth center sounds wonderful! I live in Oklahoma, and we don't have a birth center here... but I'm going with a great midwife who happens to be a close friend. I'm glad I get to have a home (hopefully water-) birth, and to have the support of a great midwife-- but part of me wishes for a nice birth center with classes and the support of other women in the same boat as me! :)

It drives me crazy how anti-natural birth is here in the US. You're so right MrsK! Most of the women I know who have had children or who are pregnant don't even know what delivering a baby really even is. I have a friend who is pregnant with twins and who doesn't even want to learn anything at all about labor. When they found out it was twins, the OB said it was an automatic Csection just because it's policy. *sigh*

WOW! That's a long ride coming in from WY!

I'm definitely pushing for a homebirth this time. I adore my midwife and honestly, there was no reason with my last two I couldn't have had a homebirth. Labors were both short, under 7 hours total, no tears, no meds. Hubby however, thinks I HAVE to be in a hospital. I wish I knew how to change his mind.

WOW! You seem to have awesome labor and delivery :happydance: Lucky girl!

No advice on changing his mind. My hubby is a tough one when it comes to that too - although it surprised me how supportive he was at the birth center idea once he saw it. What if you show him some videos or statistics? My husband is an engineer; numbers always do the trick ;)

Wow, thanks for that great article you wrote! Very informed and accurate! You should try submitting it to some magazines... although.. I suppose the US is simply too anti-natural-birth to even accept this in a magazine. :-(

Your birth center sounds wonderful! I live in Oklahoma, and we don't have a birth center here... but I'm going with a great midwife who happens to be a close friend. I'm glad I get to have a home (hopefully water-) birth, and to have the support of a great midwife-- but part of me wishes for a nice birth center with classes and the support of other women in the same boat as me! :)

Thank you hun! I'd love to submit it, that's not a bad thought. Part of the problem in the U.S. is that it's anti-natural birth (although the times are changing!) but also because natural-birth is seen as this hippie thing, even though more and more couples choosing to do it are the farthest thing from it! I think as the stats get out and people become more educated about what truly is a crisis (1 in 3 c-section rate? ? ? WHAT?), the tides will turn.

I'm surprised OK doesn't have a birth center :( But thank goodness home births are legal :happydance: Maybe you should lobby to get one open? ;)

It drives me crazy how anti-natural birth is here in the US. You're so right MrsK! Most of the women I know who have had children or who are pregnant don't even know what delivering a baby really even is. I have a friend who is pregnant with twins and who doesn't even want to learn anything at all about labor. When they found out it was twins, the OB said it was an automatic Csection just because it's policy. *sigh*

My best friend is not pregnant yet, but she watched 'The Business of Being Born' with us. After the film she was almost in tears. . .she kept saying 'OMG. . .I had now idea! I've always been taught, that you go to the hospital, you have IV's, you get drugs, you lay on your back, and the baby comes out. It's all I know, so if I hadn't seen that movie, I would not have thought otherwise.'

The midwives said this about the birth center: 'The women who come here have educated themselves about their options, educated themselves on childbirth, and feel confident and empowered.

So the question is, how to we get more women educated?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->