Midwife vs. OB - Musings and Thoughts :)

Yes, I think if more women would just watch The Business of Being Born, they might change their minds! Still, the fear of labor is so ingrained in many, that they can't imagine being away from all the machines and doctors when having a baby. That's where birth centers bridge the gap quite nicely, I think.

Here in OK, most home births are probably by the ultra-conservative types. Well, and the hippies, as you were saying. We have plenty of both in good ol' Tulsa ;-)

It's sad to me that the "educated", wealthier higher class thinks that home births are simply below them, and that only people who would ever risk their baby's health and life would do it. :-( Of course, that doesn't apply to all... I've just been around too many who see it that way.

Yes, I've been thinking about somehow getting a birth center started here. There are many midwives in Oklahoma, but I think the problem is that the largest clientele, the ultra-conservatives, mostly don't live in the bigger cities like Tulsa and Oklahoma City. They hide out somewhere in the country, where the midwives have to drive 3 hours just to get to them :)

It's a great documentary on pregnancy and birth in the United States. It shows the negative aspects of hospital birth and promotes midwives. Here's a link to a website with information and a trailer.

I have the Business of being born on my netflix, ready to be watched. I'm hoping tomorrow I can watch with hubby. I wanted to see it when it was first released but somehow got sidetracked - again!!

And yes, I've been VERY fortunate the last two pregnancies to have pretty simple labors. That's one reason I was scared to be pregnant again; people always say, you know the third time's the charm! Ack!

And as far as getting women educated? I'm not 100% sure. I know doctors need to be trained on what a natural childbirth is first off. I was thanked at my first delivery by a doc - had never seen a natural delivery before. I was like are you freakin' kidding me?!

And I do think c-sections can seem like the easy way out when docs talk about them? I feel like they sort of brush aside the fact that it is major surgery??

Thank you so much for posting this! I'm so thankful that my doctor also has a midwife at her practice. I'm actually meeting the mw at my next appointment next week!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->