• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Midwives in Ontario????

megan.rose

Mommy of 1
Reaction score
Hello,

I just found out I was expecting a few days ago and am really wanting a homebirth with a Midwife.

I am in Northern Ontario and have called a few Midwives in the area, anyone know how long they can take to return your call, I am all anxious waiting for a call!

Thanks!!

Give it a few days. If you still don't hear back, call again. But stay on them if you want a midwife because spots go FAST in Ontario. I'm in Brantford and called the DAY the stick turned positive because my due date is near the end of the month and there was a chance I wouldn't get in (I did)...but a friend of mine who is due a week before me waited for her first ultrasound to call them and couldn't get in.

They usually sit down and assign patients each month so you have to wait till they go through all the people who call with due dates in a certain month. Can be a few weeks. If you are nervous, just give them a call and see if they can tell you when they will be assigning midwives. Hopefully you get in!

BrandiCanucks, I'm also in Brantford :)

So cool Jingles! Haven't met anyone from here on this site yet! I assume you were with the midwives here? I have Heather and Kelly. Erin is my backup.

I had Kathy, and Erin and Kelly for my back ups. Loved them! :)

They are amazing there. I had them for my youngest daughter's birth. There's just no way I could go back to an OB.

Same. Had a home birth with ds and it was wonderful. My ob with my dd was good but the midwives are soooo much nicer. And the home birth was amazing. Although, ds came so quick we wouldn't have made it to the hospital, even though we are only 6 minutes away :p

Wow! That IS pretty quick. I had McKinnon and Bates as my OBs for my older two. Bates never made it to my son's delivery. I went from 7cm to having him in 15 minutes, lol. He ended up in CCU because he was cleared out properly and he stopped breathing when he was 3 hours old.

I wanted a home birth with my youngest daughter so went with the midwives. My now ex husband wouldn't allow a home birth, so she was born in the hospital with Heather and a student delivering, and we went home three hours after her birth. I LOVED not being confined to a bed and being able to spend the day comfortable in my own home. Now that I'm single, I'm going for a home birth this time. My mom is trying to talk me out of it based on what happened to my son, but I'm not worried. I know if what happened to him, which is rare, happened again, the midwives are trained for those emergencies, and I'm also trained in Level C CPR and First Aid, BGH is less than 10 minutes away and the paramedic headquarters are literally right around the corner from me.

I had Powell with dd but delivered on a weekend so Cowan delivered. And we ended up transferring to the hospital after ds was born at home. He had a lot of mucus in his nose and was having some trouble breathing because of it. The midwives were very good and tried lots of ways to help him before transferring us. I was very comfortable with their judgement. And, Kathy didn't leave us once we got to the hospital. Ds was born at 2:17, got the hospital around 4 and she didn't leave until 6? After they had assessed and stabilized ds, got us both settled, ds in the ccu and me in a room, and then she was back at 10 to check on us. She probably stopped in 5 times in the 48 hrs we were there. So nice to have someone explain everything and make sure the doctors and nurses were following our wishes.

I am with New Life Midwives in Bowmanville. Mind you, it's southern Ontario. I was with them for my first born as well and they are wonderful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->