Might have an early bubba ? :(

calais

Reaction score
Hi all.. Im currently 32 weeks with #2.
My first was born at 40+5 weighing 6lb2oz so i was told at the start of this pregnancy ill most likey have another small baby.

At my 20 week scan (i was 21weeks) the baby measured close to 2 weeks behind and weighes 10oz ...,so was told id have a growth scan at 32 weeks.
I had the scan yesterday and bubs is looking healthy, placenta and cord is fine, fluids were fine but bubs is only on 3lb.

I got a call today saying a dr wanted to go over the review with me but was told there was no other problem except her weight. I was also told ill have another scan in 2 weeks.

My question is, if she hasnt grown by my next scan what will happen? Will i have to give birth early?

On the other hand, if she grown, does it matter how much? is any growth a good sign? Im really worried and i know it isnt good to stress.

If she hasn't grown by the next scan it could mean she isn't getting what she needs from you via the cord and is probably likely they will have to deliver early.
But, try not to worry, they are amazing these days my daughter was born at 25+1 by emergency section weighing just 1lb 3oz! She is fighting fit and over 2 weeks old now!

They may very well do but please dont think about it just yet. You could worry yourself about nothing..
Its always nice to be prepared but they havent actually said what will be the next step if baby isnt growing well.

Try not to worry, alhough I know that's much easier said than done! The main thing is that they monitor you and find out if the baby isn't getting all it needs and they can do something about it.

They discovered when I was just 25 weeks that my baby was slightly small for her dates and I was sooo stressed in case she had stopped growing or was not getting everything from me that she needed. She was 1lb9 at the growth scan I had at 26+1.

I had pre eclampsia and they delivered Sophie by emergency c-section at 27 weks exactly, weighing 1lb 13.8. they did scan me every couple of days when they realised there was a problem, and they picked up on it really fast when she stopped getting as much from me as she had been. She is doing great - she is now 7 weeks and 3 days old (or 34 +3) and weighs 4lb. She came out of her incubator and into a heated cot yesterday.

Honestly, it's amazing what they can do for babies born early, and they really are resiliant little things. I was told that every day the baby stayed inside me made a difference, and one doctor even said to me that every half day makes a difference. They can give you steroid injections to help mature the baby's lungs before it's born as well and they make a huge difference. There's a lot of help in this section of the forum - I don't know what I'd have done without the girls on here when I found out I was having Sophie early.

Even if you do have to have your baby early, 3lb is a good weight and your baby has had a chance to do most of the developmental stuff already - Sophie was well past the tiny really thin stage by the time she reached 3lb and was starting to plump out a lot. There really is a lot they can do - I think the lungs are one of the last things to develop but the steroid injections really help, and if your baby did come early, they can give help with CPAP or a ventilator and they get stronger all the time. And they can give your baby formula to help it gain weight faster - Sophie has been on 50% breastmilk, 50% formula to help her gain weight and she has been gaining 3oz every 3 days.

I was so terrified when I new Sophie would be coming early - I never realised how much they can do for premature babies - they are just amazing in the neonatal units. There was even a 24 weeker in our unit when Sophie was born and she is doing fine.

Keep us posted - fingers crossed baby stays put a while yet! xxxx

Try not to worry, alhough I know that's much easier said than done! The main thing is that they monitor you and find out if the baby isn't getting all it needs and they can do something about it.

They discovered when I was just 25 weeks that my baby was slightly small for her dates and I was sooo stressed in case she had stopped growing or was not getting everything from me that she needed. She was 1lb9 at the growth scan I had at 26+1.

I had pre eclampsia and they delivered Sophie by emergency c-section at 27 weks exactly, weighing 1lb 13.8. they did scan me every couple of days when they realised there was a problem, and they picked up on it really fast when she stopped getting as much from me as she had been. She is doing great - she is now 7 weeks and 3 days old (or 34 +3) and weighs 4lb. She came out of her incubator and into a heated cot yesterday.

Honestly, it's amazing what they can do for babies born early, and they really are resiliant little things. I was told that every day the baby stayed inside me made a difference, and one doctor even said to me that every half day makes a difference. They can give you steroid injections to help mature the baby's lungs before it's born as well and they make a huge difference. There's a lot of help in this section of the forum - I don't know what I'd have done without the girls on here when I found out I was having Sophie early.

Even if you do have to have your baby early, 3lb is a good weight and your baby has had a chance to do most of the developmental stuff already - Sophie was well past the tiny really thin stage by the time she reached 3lb and was starting to plump out a lot. There really is a lot they can do - I think the lungs are one of the last things to develop but the steroid injections really help, and if your baby did come early, they can give help with CPAP or a ventilator and they get stronger all the time. And they can give your baby formula to help it gain weight faster - Sophie has been on 50% breastmilk, 50% formula to help her gain weight and she has been gaining 3oz every 3 days.

I was so terrified when I new Sophie would be coming early - I never realised how much they can do for premature babies - they are just amazing in the neonatal units. There was even a 24 weeker in our unit when Sophie was born and she is doing fine.

Keep us posted - fingers crossed baby stays put a while yet! xxxx

I completely agree with this. Ive had 4 premmies, the latest being Jenson that was born 9 weeks ago at 30 weeks gestation weighing 3lb 10. He came home 12 days ago.

It is amazing what can be done for them. Be strong and positive xxx

:hugs: As said above please try not to worry too much!

Also the growth scans can be off, Anja-Josaphine had weekly scans and at the last at 33 + 3 weeks was measured 3lb 6oz, she was born the same day weighing 4lb12oz!!

I had a few scans showing slow growth before a decision was made. My blood flow dopplers were always ok, but once his abdominal circumference slowed right down and his head circumference slowed too I was given steroid injections to mature the lungs and I was told I wouldn't be allowed to go passed 36 weeks. C decided to come earlier than that though. He was very small but healthy at birth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->